Definition of Success

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I have noticed this board bounces back and forth from dismay towards the current season to blind optimism in upcoming seasons. For example, as it became clear that our football team was terrible alot of people began looking to basketball, and many of those people were very optimistic. Now as our basketball team has struggled with some inferior teams, I have noticed alot of people looking to next August with optimism.

With this being said, I was wondering what everyone's idea of success is in both football and basketball. What will it take for us to start talking more about the in-season teams, and not looking towards possibly future success.

Basketball and football: What would you consider successful seasons this year? 5 years? 10 years?

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Basketball should have a winning season every year and 1 out of 3 years be in the NCAA tourney and make the NIT on occasion when we don't quite have the horses to be dancing.

For football I'd like to go bowling 2-3 times every 5 years. Basically what McCarney did here, without the extreme lows.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Success is sending Gene to Auburn for a head coach, players. and money.

Success is selling out the Iowa game for $100 a pop.

Success is bowling in the south end by 2012.

Succes is winning the North by 2011.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Basketball should have a winning season every year and 1 out of 3 years be in the NCAA tourney and make the NIT on occasion when we don't quite have the horses to be dancing.

For football I'd like to go bowling 2-3 times every 5 years. Basically what McCarney did here, without the extreme lows.

I'll edit this to say a bowl most years and NCAA most years. We may not always make that, but that would be successful.

Last edited:

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Success is sending Gene to Auburn for a head coach, players. and money.

Success is selling out the Iowa game for $100 a pop.

Success is bowling in the south end by 2012.

Succes is winning the North by 2011.
success is getting back to where we were under floyd and eustachy in basketball, those were the good days. (until hampton)
Success is having 8 wins in football.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Post season play, period. Maybe after we start winning again I can raise my expectations to conference contenders, but right now my expectation is for the teams to go to the post season.

I think the football team is talented enough to go bowling next year, I think it was talented enough this year. It all depends on if Rhoads can pull together the team in a way that Chizik couldn't the first year.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Post season play, period. Maybe after we start winning again I can raise my expectations to conference contenders, but right now my expectation is for the teams to go to the post season.

I think the football team is talented enough to go bowling next year, I think it was talented enough this year. It all depends on if Rhoads can pull together the team in a way that Chizik couldn't the first year.

Yeah, there's certainly some talent there.. Another offseason, and a better game plan could mean the difference between a few more wins. Granted, who knows what the system will be, and it's to be expected that there will probably be a step back due to a new staff.

The question is, though, how far back will that step be? Or, by some chance, could it be a step forward? Only time will tell. I'm not as dismally pessimistic as I was after the season ended, however I'm still very reserved on what I think.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I've never been a believer in the whole myth that having a new person at the helm of a program sends it reeling backwards because it's such a catastrophic shock to the system. I've seen plenty of programs (not just athletics, either) take an immediate step forward when a new person takes control. I have to wonder if the whole "new coach = step back" silliness is just fans irrationally lowering their expectations.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

and occassionally a good bowl (alamo or better has been my motto)

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Success equals going bowling and going dancing. Yeh we will have some unsuccessful seasons but to me, you are successful if you get to those levels.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
A Michealob in front of a 132 inch HD projector with no special projects left to do.