Rhoads' Style

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I didn't see this anywhere. Anyone know what style offense/defense Rhoads wants to implement? I know that some of that will be based on the coordinator's he hires, but in general he has to have a philosophy.

I only caught part of the press conference and I heard him say he wants a physical team, but that could mean anything. I think another former coach said the same thing.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I wonder if he'll implement a SEC style (smashmouth, defense first) or a BIG 12 style of play (spread).

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Sounds to me like a bend, but don't break defensive philosophy.

Nobody quite knows on offense. Think it will really depend who he hires to be a offensive coordinator.

FlashGordon

Dec 14, 2008
Ames
His comment that he hopes to make defenses "cover not only the length, but the width of the field" makes me expect he's looking into a spread offense.

Or the triple option...... :jimlad:

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
He was very vague about what sort of offense he plans to run. I would suspect he's going to put a lot of that responsibility on the O coordinator.

With the crop of receivers we have, it would be a shame not to run the spread in some incarnation, though.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I think most of the schools he has been at have had similar style offenses. Pitt and Auburn are similar and ISU, when he was here, also had a similar format. I wouldn't be surprise to see a return of a pre Seneca, Dan McCarney era style.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I think most of the schools he has been at have had similar style offenses. Pitt and Auburn are similar and ISU, when he was here, also had a similar format. I wouldn't be surprise to see a return of a pre Seneca, Dan McCarney era style.

Half back dives 8 straight times? or a draw on third and long?:jimlad:

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
So I just listened to the press conference and it definitely sounds like we are going to be running the spread.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Paraphrasing from his halftime speech

I will promise you three things:

1) Our teams will be intelligent, we will not beat ourselves
2) We will be passionate
3) We will be physical-we will hit you coming off the bus

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

2) We will be passionate

I think it was the same as his press conference speech, but don't forget:

1) We will never quit. We will give you all we have for 60 minutes.

2) We will restore the pride in Cyclone football.

He's a convincing speaker. Can't wait to see if we can back it up!:yes::yes::yes:

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive

2) We will be passionate

He's said this three different times now. And I got to thinking... WE are the ones who they'll first see coming off the bus.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Sounds to me like a bend, but don't break defensive philosophy.

Nobody quite knows on offense. Think it will really depend who he hires to be a offensive coordinator.

I agree...everything I have read indicates he plays the bend, but don't break style of defense. Doesn't sound like his teams do alot of blitzing.