Women's Hockey Club

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

whatnow

Oct 19, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Anyone else here attend any women's hockey games? I attended my first one (with my kids) on Saturday night. We had a good time and cheered on the Cyclones to a 4-3 victory over Minot State University. ISU raced out to a 4-0 lead by the 7 minute mark of the second period. ISU wing (and Mason City native) Dominique Lind scored a hat trick in the second period.

The team protected their lead as Minot State made a late surge in the third period. ISU had only 10 players on the roster, and being short handed made rest a luxury. Overall, I was very happy to see our ladies in action. I am a big fan of our men's team, and I was very disapointed I could not attend either game on Friday or Saturday against Oklahoma. Seeing the womens team more than made up for missing the mens games. The women's team played again on Sunday morning, but I do not know the outcome of that game yet. I encourage all of you to get out and support the ladies at one of their upcoming home games. Check out their site at: www.stuorg.iastate.edu/whockey/homepage

On Saturday, Feb 10, the ladies play a doubleheader with the men. Unfortunately, due to seperate budgets, you'll have to pay for both games seperately. The women, I believe start at 7 and are immediately followed by the men as they take on #9 Kent State in a CSCHL Conference Battle. Both should be outstanding games and we hope you are able to make it out to both!!

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
I'd pay good money to see a women hockey fight! Hair pulling, fingernail scratching, and clothes tearing! What a sight! Maybe at the end, they would kiss!

jparker22

May 1, 2006
Ames
Quote:
Originally Posted by tube1
I'd pay good money to see a women hockey fight! Hair pulling, fingernail scratching, and clothes tearing! What a sight! Maybe at the end, they would kiss!

"They should have oil poured on them as well." - hfthomp

Nice guys. I don't know why but this just rubs me the wrong way this morning. A new member on his second post starts a legitamate thread about a cyclone club sport and it deteriorates immediately to this level. Dissapointing really.

Here is a LINK to the team for those interested.

20Clone

Nov 10, 2006
Reading Travman's awesome blog!
Quote:

Nice guys. I don't know why but this just rubs me the wrong way this morning. A new member on his second post starts a legitamate thread about a cyclone club sport and it deteriorates immediately to this level. Dissapointing really.

Don't you think you are being a little sensitive? Clearly meant to be funny...we all love ISU women's hockey.

hfthomp

Mar 21, 2006
Where ever there is danger.

JParker, I apologize. I guess I'm just a little anti-womens hockey right now. I was dating one of the players last semester and it ended badly. As the great Billy Ocean once sang, "Caribbean queen, now we're sharing the same dream...." Man, those words really hit home right now.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
Quote:

Sorry man. Let me know when your sense of humor returns and we can all have fun again. I've heard Midol works wonders...

jparker22

May 1, 2006
Ames
I tried Midol, didn't work.:wink0st:
Go ahead and have fun, I just thought I would throw my opinion out there. I am not the moral compass, but I did feel compelled to post my thoughts on the matter.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
So ANYWAY, about our women's hockey team...

Yeah, I didn't even know we had one until I read in the Daily last week that they'd lost a series. I was surprised- I think I'm moderately well-informed on a general level about all of Cyclone athletics (to make up for not knowing a ton about any one sport), but I'd never heard nor seen a single mention of a women's hockey team. Is it a university-funded club sport, as the men's team is?

whatnow

Oct 19, 2006
Ames, Iowa
So ANYWAY, about our women's hockey team...

Yeah, I didn't even know we had one until I read in the Daily last week that they'd lost a series. I was surprised- I think I'm moderately well-informed on a general level about all of Cyclone athletics (to make up for not knowing a ton about any one sport), but I'd never heard nor seen a single mention of a women's hockey team. Is it a university-funded club sport, as the men's team is?
The club is funded by GSB as well as gate reciepts (although very small). They only charge $2 a head; kids are free. The ladies could use everyone's support as their effort is rarely noticed.