Friday OT #2 - Acts of Service

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I am a volunteer TKD instructor at a non-profit school. Students pay, but we are cheap.

Have been helping the gf with an animal charity Critter Crusaders. They pay for medical treatment for various shelters/rescues all over Iowa. Rescues can't afford to drop a few grand on a surgery, so CC steps in. It's absolutely the lost causes that they save. What's impressive to me as a outsider is that CC has connections at Vet clinics all over Iowa, plus ISU, UW, Colo St. They know the best place to go depending on the injury, and they get great deals from different clinics and vets since it's a charity thing. They have pulled off some miracles!

Critters

Also, Angie, GREAT thread idea. Very positive and uplifting, we could all use some of that.
A former student of mine is heavily involved with Critter Crusaders.
We donate all of our used cans to them now.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was a flag football ref back in high school. Got a free membership to the Y as pay. After the 2nd week the other refs stopped showing up because of the BS from coaches and fans. This was 3rd grade football

Decided at that point that I'm never getting involved with youth sports again.

I have done some volunteer work for a local food bank. Plan on doing more once COVID settles down.
I have a similar story only substitute in 6th grade girls softball for the flag football.
After half a summer season of that, I gave it up.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Strongly believe that a good education is the best way to lift up everyone in society so I donate monthly to the National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth.

Also donate monthly to the ACLU for reasons that I won't talk about in this thread.

Coached high school (10th grade) bball and assisted the JV team one winter. It was fun and I had a solid experience but it's a lot of work when trying to work full time.

Several of the breweries around me have volunteer groups so have gotten involved in a couple of them. It's fun because you get to do a lot of different volunteer things rather than always doing the same thing over and over.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Used to help coach middle school mock trial and high school academic teams; still help run academic meets
Take some shifts at battered women’s shelter
In past have been a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)
Musical liturgy and money counter at church
Run church blood drive and donate blood
Help once a week at local food pantry
Work football concessions to help high school band and that job is brutal
Do some gardening for food pantry garden
Getting too old for some of this stuff but also have the time. Just getting out of football concessions would help but scary when the school superintendent needs a calculator to add up popcorn and a pop.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
A former student of mine is heavily involved with Critter Crusaders.
We donate all of our used cans to them now.
Youve probably seen me at the can drive lol. We were there all the time at the bigger bldg, less so at the quonset hut.

Reactions: Entropy

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm the treasurer of the structural engineers association of Iowa. Also coach my son's bball team.

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I started assistant coaching my daughter's soccer team despite never having played the sport. I ended up coaching about 7 or 8 years between the kids.

I volunteer in the Knights of Columbus for a variety of things.

Mrs. Velo and I are regular Eucharistic Ministers at the church and daughter serves or runs the power point for Masses.

I used to help with people who were converting during their Mass dismissal - I did that for about 7 years.

Mrs. Velo has taught a variety of classes for the church. Better her than me on that one. She also is on the board of the school's soccer booster club.

Mrs. Velo ran the Vacation Bible School for about 5 years. That meant that I was 'volunteered' to create the sets for it each year. It was pretty cool but a hell of a lot of work. I was glad to finally get my Fathers Day back when she retired from that.

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

Brett44

Nov 26, 2014
I volunteer at the Denver rescue mission. They often have me cut onions because I enjoy everything about onions.

Reactions: NWICY

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I volunteer at the Denver rescue mission. They often have me cut onions because I enjoy everything about onions.

We volunteered there on a missions trip to Colorado in high school. I think I still have scars on my hands from peeling potatoes incredibly poorly.

Reactions: Brett44

Brett44

Nov 26, 2014
We volunteered there on a missions trip to Colorado in high school. I think I still have scars on my hands from peeling potatoes incredibly poorly.

They have somebody that plays Christian music lunch along with Creed songs. It’s kind of uplifting:). It’s good for me lol

Reactions: Angie

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I am a volunteer TKD instructor at a non-profit school. Students pay, but we are cheap.

Have been helping the gf with an animal charity Critter Crusaders. They pay for medical treatment for various shelters/rescues all over Iowa. Rescues can't afford to drop a few grand on a surgery, so CC steps in. It's absolutely the lost causes that they save. What's impressive to me as a outsider is that CC has connections at Vet clinics all over Iowa, plus ISU, UW, Colo St. They know the best place to go depending on the injury, and they get great deals from different clinics and vets since it's a charity thing. They have pulled off some miracles!

Critters

Also, Angie, GREAT thread idea. Very positive and uplifting, we could all use some of that.

TKD=taekwando?

Reactions: CascadeClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Youth sports coaching. I'm bad at it, but I'm amazed at how few parents actually will do it, even for kids at really young ages where specialized knowledge of the game doesn't really matter at all.

You must have a high tolerance for rude idiots. Youth sports would be nicer without certain parents there. Thank you for doing the job though.

Reactions: Trice

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well I'm kind of sad compared to most folks on here. But I donate blood every time my 16 wks is up (double reds) and donated convalescent plasma as often as I was allowed after catching the Covid.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie and JP4CY

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Is critter crusaders national? I thought it was local to cr. I drop my cans off there all the time.

Reactions: NWICY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Well I'm kind of sad compared to most folks on here. But I donate blood every time my 16 wks is up (double reds) and donated convalescent plasma as often as I was allowed after catching the Covid.
That's not sad, that's awesome.

Reactions: Angie and NWICY

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Is critter crusaders national? I thought it was local to cr. I drop my cans off there all the time.
Its totally local. There are other groups that do similar, but not associated. Thanks for the can donations! With covid they havent been able to do a lot of their fundraisers, and the can program has been an absolute lifesaver- literally saving cat and dog lives.

We have also fostered 2 dogs, a cat, and currently a very sick hampster. We kept the cat lol.

Reactions: NWICY and JP4CY