Baylor fans on ISU vs. Baylor game saturday

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Talking about how it was close last year. All we did was crap the bed in the first half and finally woke up at halftime.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I didn't see a single poster predict a loss. Interesting considering they are 7 point dogs.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
ESPN's FPI gives us a better chance to win against KSU and TX than @ Baylor and @ Tech..

I see another close game.

20-13 Cyclones

If we can get Hall going like he was for 2020's conference play... This could be a fun stretch of games leading into Homecoming as KU is a pushover and KSU isn't great without Thompson

michibear

Oct 18, 2013
Baylor fan. I come in peace.

One thing about the SicEm365 web site is that most of the real fan action happens on the Premium Insider forum behind the paywall. The free side of things has a lot fewer posters. So, for example, there have been 1,245,269 posts on the insider side of things compared to 352,180 posts on the football board y'all are seeing. All that to say, take what you see on the free board with a grain of salt.

Most Baylor fans are looking at this game pretty much the same way Iowa State fans are - this will be a true test of the team and will likely tell us a whole lot about how the rest of the season unfolds. We feel confident about what we have seen from the team but we realize that our first three opponents have been, well, let's say . . . lacking. Having said that, we've crapped the bed against inferior teams in the past, so we have hope that there's substance behind what we've seen.

I expect a hard-fought game. For those of you coming down to Waco, stop by the SicEm265 tailgate site and say Hey!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Baylor fan. I come in peace.

One thing about the SicEm365 web site is that most of the real fan action happens on the Premium Insider forum behind the paywall. The free side of things has a lot fewer posters. So, for example, there have been 1,245,269 posts on the insider side of things compared to 352,180 posts on the football board y'all are seeing. All that to say, take what you see on the free board with a grain of salt.

Most Baylor fans are looking at this game pretty much the same way Iowa State fans are - this will be a true test of the team and will likely tell us a whole lot about how the rest of the season unfolds. We feel confident about what we have seen from the team but we realize that our first three opponents have been, well, let's say . . . lacking. Having said that, we've crapped the bed against inferior teams in the past, so we have hope that there's substance behind what we've seen.

I expect a hard-fought game. For those of you coming down to Waco, stop by the SicEm265 tailgate site and say Hey!
Who ever posted on your board something along the lines of the game will go however Brock goes nailed it. If the bad or inconsistent Brock shows up, that makes the game a complete toss up and not looking good for us. But if the good Brock shows up, then ISU winning becomes likely. I think if even B or B- Brock goes to Waco (I actually think he learned a lot from the Iowa game and will do better than that but Waco is Wacko) then we win. The ISU defense is a known commodity, Baylor isn’t going to score much. If we get 3 TDs and maybe one down the Assalley then I don’t see us losing that one.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
KSU isn't great without Thompson

We'll know about K-State Saturday night. Will Howard is clearly not as good as Skylar Thompson. But Howard had a solid outing v. Nevada. His game is more like Collin Klien's. That said, the biggest change for K-State has been on the defensive side.

Last edited:

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I think it's a toss up game, regardless of the line score. We may not know exactly how good the Baylor offense is based on who they have played... but there are enough questions regarding the offense that its hard for me to be confident.

1) Purdy. For all the amazing things he has done and achieved... he's probably one of the players I'm not entirely confident in. IDK what it says that a 4 year starter is still at times is prone to things that a first year starter does. Sure, it happens and I'm glad he's at Iowa State and he's helped do a ton of special things in Ames. But be it receivers, play calling or him, if we have to beat a quality team based solely on the passing game - I don't know if I'm confident.

If we can run the ball, our defense shows up and we play our brand - sure, I like our chances against almost anyone. But for me, his inconsistencies and at times lack of ball security make it hard to be 100% confident

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
dumb? quick - name me the last game we won where the running game and defense played bad in the same game. its not dumb to point out that for a variety of reasons - play style, opponents, etc. - that our passing attack to date is not going to strike a ton of fear into our opponents.

If people feared our passing game more than our ability to run and scheme - we wouldn't see 8 men in the box to stop the run.

there's many reasons for this but it does not strike me as dumb to point out that if we get in a situation where we have to throw 30 or so times a game - the odds and likelihood of things not going our way increases

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
You won't recall but I wrote a few weeks back about this being a test of CMC's strategy to not have physical practices leading up to this season. There's no reason this senior-ladened team, with, what, five all-Americans?, shouldn't dominate this conference, sans OU.

I've also said that ISU had a distinct advantage last year going without major Covid issues nor injuries. That was not the case for many B12 teams.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
agree, time will tell on that strategy. I think I understand it but at the same time - its a fine line. Too many hard practices can lead to injury and burn out etc - too few leads to another problem all together.

Given how well the defensive line and defense is playing atm I don't think it was the wrong approach. but we'll certainly find out more as we get into the league

Reactions: surly

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You won't recall but I wrote a few weeks back about this being a test of CMC's strategy to not have physical practices leading up to this season. There's no reason this senior-ladened team, with, what, five all-Americans?, shouldn't dominate this conference, sans OU.

I've also said that ISU had a distinct advantage last year going without major Covid issues nor injuries. That was not the case for many B12 teams.
ISU did have major COVID issues. It just happened in camp and leading up to the first game rather in the heart of the season. But you are correct, not having major COVID issues during the conference season was an advantage.

ISU did have key injuries though including losing their best offensive lineman for the season before he could even work up a sweat in a game and losing their #2 receiver and starting PR for most of the season and that player not being anywhere near 100% when he did manage to play.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Good breakdown by the initial Baylor guy. I think Baylor's run defense (front 7) will dictate how this game goes. If they play stout and force us to pass we won't score over 20 and lose. If we can make them load the box and gamble on the back end, Brock will have a great day and we will win. It's Baylor, Campbell has always played them close/down to the wire. We need our seniors to put the team on their back and pull this one out.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
We'll know about K-State Saturday night. Will Howard is clearly not as good as Skylar Thompson. But Howard had a solid outing v. Nevada. His game is more like Collin Klien's. That said, the biggest change for K-State has been on the defensive side.

Did Thompson get hurt again?

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
dumb? quick - name me the last game we won where the running game and defense played bad in the same game. its not dumb to point out that for a variety of reasons - play style, opponents, etc. - that our passing attack to date is not going to strike a ton of fear into our opponents.

If people feared our passing game more than our ability to run and scheme - we wouldn't see 8 men in the box to stop the run.

there's many reasons for this but it does not strike me as dumb to point out that if we get in a situation where we have to throw 30 or so times a game - the odds and likelihood of things not going our way increases

To be fair, what team can have both their defense and run game play poorly and still win? For most teams, if they are in a situation where they have to throw it all the time, then things likely are not going their way already.

Reactions: stewart092284

Help Support Us

Become a patron