Brock Purdy is the most clutch player in the state of Iowa's history

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I would be shocked if he didn't get drafted
I think he will get drafted somewhere between 5th and 7th rounds but I wouldn't be shocked if he went undrafted. He's a good college quarterback but think he doesn't have the arm strength to be higher than a late round pick.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think he will get drafted somewhere between 5th and 7th rounds but I wouldn't be shocked if he went undrafted. He's a good college quarterback but think he doesn't have the arm strength to be higher than a late round pick.
I agree on the rounds but not the arm thing. Chad Pennington had one of the worst arms I've ever seen and he was a first rounder.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I agree on the rounds but not the arm thing. Chad Pennington had one of the worst arms I've ever seen and he was a first rounder.
Chad's a good example as is Brees. They're more of the exceptions though. If it's not arm strength what do you see as his biggest limitations at the next level?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Chad's a good example as is Brees. They're more of the exceptions though. If it's not arm strength what do you see as his biggest limitations at the next level?
Brock has a little bit of a gambler arm sometimes. When you've got Butler and his height that's not as much of an issue as when you've got Milton.

Reactions: GoHawks

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Brock has a little bit of a gambler arm sometimes. When you've got Butler and his height that's not as much of an issue as when you've got Milton.
I don't disagree he will force some things. I think he could get away with some of those things if he had more velocity down the field. I think he has a lot of good traits. He's got good accuracy on intermediate to medium throws, has good feel, above average mobility and very much a gamer. He doesn't have any elite traits though. It's not a knock on Purdy but that's what it takes a lot of time to get drafted first few rounds.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
He ironically supports Iowa State lol.
GetInmateImage

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
who was wide open waiting for it.

This is my biggest problem with him. IDK if its his being a tad shorter, or what but he seems to be late with the delivery, at least on deep passes. I think his arm is fine - not great, not elite, but good enough - but on passes 20+ yards down field, I can't think of a ton of times where he lead the receiver or threw them open.

they exist, yes. but so do plenty of times where he's late. so I'm not sure what exactly leads to that. but when you're late, that leads to the ball obviously not either being placed right or hanging too long in the air.

And I think that's one reason teams are so stacking the box this year. Until Brock and the receivers show they can collectively and individually challenge a secondary down the field vertically often enough - we're going to continue to see stacked boxes making life tougher for Breece.

If they can hit 2-3 passes of 30 yards a game - the safeties will back off. Until then, I'd expect to see the 7-8 man boxes that feel like 8-9.

And the pass to Wilson was nice... yes... but at a decent amount of the yardage was run after the catch.

Honestly, I think the most Clutch Cyclone ever IMO might actually be Mike Rose. At this point I feel like whenever a play has to be made, he's going to make it. And he's going to be in the right spot at the right time. It almost feels like you don't have to worry about him ever and to me, thats clutch.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
This is my biggest problem with him. IDK if its his being a tad shorter, or what but he seems to be late with the delivery, at least on deep passes. I think his arm is fine - not great, not elite, but good enough - but on passes 20+ yards down field, I can't think of a ton of times where he lead the receiver or threw them open.

they exist, yes. but so do plenty of times where he's late. so I'm not sure what exactly leads to that. but when you're late, that leads to the ball obviously not either being placed right or hanging too long in the air.

And I think that's one reason teams are so stacking the box this year. Until Brock and the receivers show they can collectively and individually challenge a secondary down the field vertically often enough - we're going to continue to see stacked boxes making life tougher for Breece.

If they can hit 2-3 passes of 30 yards a game - the safeties will back off. Until then, I'd expect to see the 7-8 man boxes that feel like 8-9.

And the pass to Wilson was nice... yes... but at a decent amount of the yardage was run after the catch.

Honestly, I think the most Clutch Cyclone ever IMO might actually be Mike Rose. At this point I feel like whenever a play has to be made, he's going to make it. And he's going to be in the right spot at the right time. It almost feels like you don't have to worry about him ever and to me, thats clutch.
He was rolling out of the pocket when he threw it. He leads receivers a lot. He has a great arm he's completing 71.4% of his passes this year

• Dumb
Reactions: WhoISthis

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron