Will Chizik now go after our Assistants?

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
Chizik has about 7 openings to fill at Auburn. There's speculation that he'll go after some of his od assistants. My questions is, will our athletic department allow them to even talk if the positions are lateral? And as a follow up, since Bolt and McFarland are not DC & OC, could they talk to Auburn about those positions?

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Chizik has about 7 openings to fill at Auburn. There's speculation that he'll go after some of his od assistants. My questions is, will our athletic department allow them to even talk if the positions are lateral? And as a follow up, since Bolt and McFarland are not DC & OC, could they talk to Auburn about those positions?

I hope they take Bolt and McFarland, because I don't think they're hanging around with a new coach anyways.

at the same time, Chizik will not get to really pick his staff. The Auburn AD will.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Does it matter? Our next coach will probably want his own guys so no point of any of Chizik's former assistants waiting around to see if they can stick around if Gene offers them a job.

Piggypen6

Dec 12, 2008
Florence, AL
I say let them stay if they want to try. Mcfarland did land us at least one recruit from what I have heard and that means they are still doing their job.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Let's hope thier still doing their jobs. They are still getting paychecks, I assume. Good ones, I might add.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Yeah, I'm thinking his staff is feeling a little abondoned as well. I think McFarland would be a nice holdover. I haven't read all the threads- what about keeping the team chaplain & conditioning coach?

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Of course they are doing their jobs. They probably want to continue coaching. You gotta be professional. Another thing is the a main selling point about coaching at ISU is that you get to pick your staff. I would assume Pollard will essentially allow the new coach to make appropriate staffing decisions.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I used to think of the assistant coaches as Chiz's buddies who were brought in totally under qualified and only because they were his buddies. Then McFarland had enough integrity to continue recruiting despite the fact that Chizik was walking out the back door.

I don't think our assistants are strong enough to get hired at Auburn, I questioned if they were strong enough for us with the salaries we paid them. After the problems the Auburn fanbase had with Chiz getting hired they would go balistic if he hired the same staff that went 5-19 with him and didn't have the previous resumes chiz did.

Now that McFarland went out and got a recruit given the circumstances I feel like I've given the assistants a bad rap. They may not be as amazing as I hoped for initially, but at least as far as McFarland goes it looks like he may actually have the integrity I thought Chiz had. They seem like they actually care about the Cyclone family and the players we have on our team, from that one action McFarland has gained a whole lot of my respect, and I know our guys like Bolt. I'd hope our next coach at least gives a look at keeping them on in some roll even if not a major one.

Reactions: CycloneErik

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Didn't someone say that when Chizik "met" with the team on Sunday, that both some players and assistants were yelling at him on his way out?

Money talks, but I'm not sure there are many guys that are happy with the guy right now.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
He'll use them like he used us. If any of the assistants have good connections to recruiting, he'll take 'em.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
I used to think of the assistant coaches as Chiz's buddies who were brought in totally under qualified and only because they were his buddies. Then McFarland had enough integrity to continue recruiting despite the fact that Chizik was walking out the back door.

I don't think our assistants are strong enough to get hired at Auburn, I questioned if they were strong enough for us with the salaries we paid them. After the problems the Auburn fanbase had with Chiz getting hired they would go balistic if he hired the same staff that went 5-19 with him and didn't have the previous resumes chiz did.

Now that McFarland went out and got a recruit given the circumstances I feel like I've given the assistants a bad rap. They may not be as amazing as I hoped for initially, but at least as far as McFarland goes it looks like he may actually have the integrity I thought Chiz had. They seem like they actually care about the Cyclone family and the players we have on our team, from that one action McFarland has gained a whole lot of my respect, and I know our guys like Bolt. I'd hope our next coach at least gives a look at keeping them on in some roll even if not a major one.
Chances are most of the actual "recruiting" went down well before Chizik left, but of course he's going to keep working until he knows where he's going to be next year.

scclone

Dec 13, 2008
Yeah, I'm thinking his staff is feeling a little abondoned as well. I think McFarland would be a nice holdover. I haven't read all the threads- what about keeping the team chaplain & conditioning coach?

I don't know about the chaplain, but if Shepp left or is released I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I doubt it is going to matter at the end of the day. It is likely the new coach will have a pretty full staff ready to follow.

retzmountn

Aug 16, 2006
Runnells, IA

I would assume he might keep 1 or 2 assistants, but I'm more concerned about the recruits & potential recruits he was trying to bring into ISU.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron