Nebraska gives Scott Frost much deserved extension to only fire him.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I do find this Frost thing interesting. How does a person go from being a wunderkind with a high ceiling to a complete trainwreck?

This happens in sports and work and everywhere in between (Prohm). Just odd how circumstances play such a part in success.

Tom Osbourne couldn't have won at ISU with the support he had.

When they hired Frost, I thought crap, Nebraska is going to be good again. THen complete train wreck. Like what happened and how?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
When they hired Frost, I thought crap, Nebraska is going to be good again. THen complete train wreck. Like what happened and how?

They haven't been good enough up front, and Martinez is a multi year starter who can't throw a football.

Reactions: brett108

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I do find this Frost thing interesting. How does a person go from being a wunderkind with a high ceiling to a complete trainwreck?

This happens in sports and work and everywhere in between (Prohm). Just odd how circumstances play such a part in success.

Tom Osbourne couldn't have won at ISU with the support he had.
perhaps he wasnt solely responsible for the successes at UCF? maybe he just had some key players, staff, and a culture that worked then and there. maybe he was just in the right place at the right time.

and just transplanting "him" doesnt transplant the success?

also, UNLs culture right now and for the last decade plus has been trash. the players are just as self righteous and arrogant as their fans. its a really hard thing to turn around.

Reactions: khardbored

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
They haven't been good enough up front, and Martinez is a multi year starter who can't throw a football.

I was flabbergasted in a bunch of preseason QB rankings and how high they all had Martinez. The kid can't throw the ball to save his life. I kept wondering if we were talking about the same Martinez.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
its the QB situation that baffles me. at some point you have to recruit over him if he isnt improving (which he hasnt).

pretty sure he is a 4 year starter. unless you are a doormat football school, there is no way you should have a 4 year starter at QB that is this bad.

Reactions: Drew0311

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
its the QB situation that baffles me. at some point you have to recruit over him if he isnt improving (which he hasnt).

pretty sure he is a 4 year starter. unless you are a doormat football school, there is no way you should have a 4 year starter at QB that is this bad.

They had a chance at Joey Burrow and passed on him.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

He isn't great but sadly, he's all the have offensively. Bielema said as much in the post game, #2 was the only guy they were afraid of. He isn't great but he's hands down their best player. They just ask way too much of him and rarely does playcalling line up with his strengths.

QB play isn't great but they have a laundry list of other issues that are being overshadowed by Martinez's struggles. Their best WR is Oliver Martin....they have no run game, special teams are disaster, sub par LB/DB play, no depth....that program is in shambles. A new qb might help but it's not going to make much of a difference, they are still in a total rebuild.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Under Frost...

12-21 overall
9-18 conf
1-8 vs. ranked teams

does not have a winning record against any team he has played more than once in conf...

TeamWL
Ohio State
0​
3​
Iowa
0​
3​
Wisconsin
0​
2​
Indiana
0​
1​
Michigan
0​
1​
Minnesota
1​
2​
Northwestern
1​
2​
Purdue
1​
2​
Illinois
2​
2​
Maryland
1​
0​
Michigan State
1​
0​
Penn State
1​
0​
Rutgers
1​
0​
b10
9​
18​

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
perhaps he wasnt solely responsible for the successes at UCF? maybe he just had some key players, staff, and a culture that worked then and there. maybe he was just in the right place at the right time.

and just transplanting "him" doesnt transplant the success?

also, UNLs culture right now and for the last decade plus has been trash. the players are just as self righteous and arrogant as their fans. its a really hard thing to turn around.

And they think HCMC will jump at the opportunity to go there, right?

• Haha
Reactions: VeloClone

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I know coaches have different gameplans for different opponents but Frost is really telling people that at no point this summer did he practice against a four man front? I find that extremely hard to believe given the the conference and division they play in.

So even if you didn't practice going against it specifically in the Illinois prep, I would imagine you'd have spent most of your summer practicing against it.

Maybe that's the problem, he spent all summer practicing against a 3 man front when most of his opponents will run 4 man fronts.

Reactions: khardbored

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The film room must have been locked.
What I wouldn't give to have a recording of his headset communication with his coordinator in the press box.

After the first play-

"Coach? What was that?"
"I don't know. It looked like they lined up with 4 guys on the line."
"4 Guys on the line?"
"Yeah, I think so."
"How can they do that? We're not prepared for that, coach! What are we going to do?"
"Relax... Maybe they made a mistake. Maybe it will be different on the next down"

After the second play

"Coach, they did it again!!!"
"Yeah, I saw it too."
"I'm panicking here, coach!"
"Calm down. We'll handle it. Do you see your playbook?"
"Yeah?"
"I want you to just rip half of the pages out and throw them away."
"Throw them away?"
"JUST DO WHAT I SAID!"
"...Ok, coach, I'm ripping out the pages."
"Things are going to be just fine..."

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Is Scott Frost going to give us another classic today? Fordham is going toe to toe with them so far.