What's streaming that's good TV/movies

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hey, I don't hate everything! Two recommendations for Netflix movies with Boxster thumbs up ratings. ;)

The Dig - Brit movie with the traditional terrific acting.
Captain Fantastic - Kids actors in this are awesome as is the low key anti-establishment stick it to the man theme.

Good watches, both.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I don't watch a lot of tv, so I'm catching up on several older series. We're in season 3 of Community, halfway through season one of Imposters and am up-to-date on Ted Lasso.

Ted Lasso is definitely worth the hype. Really entertaining show with a nice range. Community has been fun, but some episodes try a little too hard at times. I'll finish the series out eventually. I'm eager to get caught up on Imposters to see if it stays good. My wife started watching it and I got roped into it.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
I don't watch a lot of tv, so I'm catching up on several older series. We're in season 3 of Community, halfway through season one of Imposters and am up-to-date on Ted Lasso.

Ted Lasso is definitely worth the hype. Really entertaining show with a nice range. Community has been fun, but some episodes try a little too hard at times. I'll finish the series out eventually. I'm eager to get caught up on Imposters to see if it stays good. My wife started watching it and I got roped into it.

Lasso is great! This week's episode was brilliant for those of us old enough to catch the movie references. And even then, they were so clever about it that i missed several of them. I would pay for AppleTV for the sole purpose of binging the first two seasons of Ted Lasso.

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
O.G. 90's Sci Fi- Decided it had been long enough that I could go back and run through Stargate SG1. Fine, fine series. Every bit as enjoyable 15 years later.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Lasso is great! This week's episode was brilliant for those of us old enough to catch the movie references. And even then, they were so clever about it that i missed several of them. I would pay for AppleTV for the sole purpose of binging the first two seasons of Ted Lasso.

I have to be honest, Season 2 has bored me thus far. Each episode just seems to be a regurgitation of the one before it. There are some good characters and funny moments but the show is in desperate need of a major plot twist.

I became kind of "out" on it when the arch of Ted having to be the bad guy and go against his word by bringing Jamie back lasted all of a 1/3rd of an episode. A show with no apparent villain just doesn't make for real compelling TV.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
We watched Tomorrow War on Prime the other night. My almost 10 year old and 15 year old liked it. I wasn't expecting much but it was much better than anticipated. I'm glad we watched it.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We watched Tomorrow War on Prime the other night. My almost 10 year old and 15 year old liked it. I wasn't expecting much but it was much better than anticipated. I'm glad we watched it.

We thought it was entertaining, as an action movie should be. Not much depth there, but not every movie needs that.

• Winner
Reactions: twojman

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I have to be honest, Season 2 has bored me thus far. Each episode just seems to be a regurgitation of the one before it. There are some good characters and funny moments but the show is in desperate need of a major plot twist.

I became kind of "out" on it when the arch of Ted having to be the bad guy and go against his word by bringing Jamie back lasted all of a 1/3rd of an episode. A show with no apparent villain just doesn't make for real compelling TV.

I'm going to keep giving it a chance because season 1 was maybe the best TV show I've ever seen. But I'm with you, season 2 is fine but nothing great right now.

Reactions: Clonefan32

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Just finished season 1 of The Defeated on Netflix. Police procedural set in post war occupied Berlin. Enjoyable 8 episodes. If you have read WEB Griffin's Clandestine Operations book series this TV show would fit right into that world.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just finished season 1 of The Defeated on Netflix. Police procedural set in post war occupied Berlin. Enjoyable 8 episodes. If you have read WEB Griffin's Clandestine Operations book series this TV show would fit right into that world.

Is this recommendation to watch? I watched first episode and liked the setting of 1946 Berlin but was uncertain whether to keep watching. Kitsch's bad NY accent was bugging me some and the super evil Russian seemed a little stereotypical. Been thinking about giving another episode or two a try after reading your post. Used to read Griffin books back in the day but they ran out of gas for me. Sat the last one I was reading down (one of the Honor Bound series) at halfway point and never picked it up again.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Seeing some Ted Lasso love here which is great. It’s very good.

Jason Mamoa’s new series “See” is pretty good on Apple+ also. Interesting concept. Not great, but good.

The Morning Show and Your Honor on Apple+ are solid too.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Stumbled into a free weekend of HBO and used it to watch Tom Hanks News of the World. Good western. Hanks was Hanks' good, bad guys get their just deserts and the German actress playing the orphaned child was quite good.

Trailer:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron