Army's Ross resigns... Good fit for Mac?

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I honestly believe Army might be the perfect job for McCarney, it is a rebuilding job, discipline is already instilled within the program, the recruiting aspect would be hard, but I think he can do it with the right guys by his side, I hope he goes after it, because I think he would be much better than Frankie Solich would have been had he gone to Army, hopefully Ross doesn't already have a successor named!

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I think Mac would be a great fit there. If you read the article though, it sounds like they've already chosen the OC.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Bobby Ross graduated from VMI. Two of his kids graduated from military academies back in the 80s.

He has been a winner both in college (National Championship with Ga. Tech) and the pros (AFC Championship with Chargers). His overall records in both college and pros are well over .500.

Why would the people at West Point replace a man with this sort of resume' with a person with a resume' like McCarney's? Not trying to be harsh here, but I just don't see any logic in this sort of thought.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
Wow, it never ends. We'll go through this AGAIN. If you were an alum of Army, and they tried to sell Dan McCarney to you, you would be angry. Look how angry people got when they thought Brian Kelly was going to be named coach here, and he actually had some real successes in coaching.

Regardless of what the remaining Dan McCarney people my want to believe, he is not perceived as an attractive candidate by BCS AD's. I don't know if he is even perceived as an attractive candidate by non-BCS AD's anymore.

What they see is actually pretty simple. If the guy actually did all that HE said that he had done, then Iowa State would have been playing in better bowls, and probably wouldn't have had to rebuild after 9 and 12 years on the job.

Plus, I think that the way that Dan presented himself in interviews rubs a lot of the potential employers the wrong way. Everyone is aware of the limitations at Iowa State, but when Dan did interviews it was always how much HE did for Iowa State, not the fact that we were the only school in the country that would have kept him as long as we did. AD's are aware of personalities in potential hires, and noone wants to be hung out to dry.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
This gives the academies an opportunity to ponder their fit in the athletic world. Though Army did well against ISU last year and A&M this year in losing efforts, for the most part, the academies get pasted when they play major conference D-1 opponents. I'd like to see the academies pick a conference with recruits comparable to their own - students who are selected to be students who happen to play football. No body but Irish fans likes to see Notre Dame beat up on Air Force or Navy. That said, I don't think Mac would be a good fit. Average guys playing over their heads and innovative coaching are the keys in such an environment. I don't think he did well with the athletes he had. How many upsets did we win during his term?

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Frank Solich turned this one down in 03.

From what I understand, Solich just didn't turn Army down, but left Army standing at the altar. Suppoesdly, Army was sending a plane to Lincoln to pick up Solich to be introduced as HC and Solich was no were to be found.

B Clone

Apr 16, 2006
Polk County
jtdoyle you read my mind. That's the first thing I thought of when I heard that Bobby Ross was stepping down. Mac thinks very highly of the Academy's and think that he could succeed there with the student athlete's!

ST8BRN

Nov 17, 2006
Pioneer, IA
I don't know. On one hand, Danny boy has trouble winning at Michie Stadium. On the other hand, Army seems to have accepted mediocracy as a way of life in their football program. We all know how well Dan does mediocracy, so on second thought, it might fit.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
The Army successfully sells George Bush to its recruits..why not McCarney? It would be a great fit for both, and Mac would take it in a heartbeat.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Plus, I think that the way that Dan presented himself in interviews rubs a lot of the potential employers the wrong way. Everyone is aware of the limitations at Iowa State, but when Dan did interviews it was always how much HE did for Iowa State, not the fact that we were the only school in the country that would have kept him as long as we did. AD's are aware of personalities in potential hires, and noone wants to be hung out to dry.
Are you implying that Dan McCarney has character issues that potential employers would want to watch out for? :laugh8kb: :laugh8kb: :laugh8kb: :laugh8kb: You are killing me with this crap. My real question is what Mac did to rub you so wrong that you cannot even bear to wish him well.

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
Looks like some familiar faces for this topic as usual. But so as not to be ripped to death I will simply state that I have "moved on."

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Ya know what? At this point I don't care whether Dan stays w/ the Bucs, goes to Army, or collects on his 401K. I loved Dan while he was here, was sad to see him go (although it was time), and was happy for him for landing w/ the Bucs (unless I missed something). I'm tired of every other thread discussing "is this a great fit for Mac" and the inevitable "Mac isn't attractive enough to work there" bash. Mac's gone. Drop it. Instead, let's bask in the glory that we think Chizik's gonna bring us in the near future.

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
I hope Dan gets the job...he seems perfect. Great motivator, you have to be with an undersized group of players. He can make the players feel proud of their school, he's a man of integrity and he's a name coach. I don't believe they can get either
-a rising asst. coach: its a dead end job
-a big name coach: same reason
but for Dan, its a chance to start over, and who knows, get lucky and win some games. A win over Navy would be the same as the National Championship. I would be rooting for Army if he were there. Am I glad we moved on at Iowa State? Yes. Do I appreciate what Dan did for ISU: Yes.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
WHY NOT ARMY? You can be positive, you do not have to recruit, you can build MEN, you get on TV at least once a year, you have a tradition of Four Horsemen, you are watched around the world. WHY NOT ARMY? Just might want to leave barney home. You say they have a coach already? Sorry, Daniel.

Chris

Mar 20, 2006
Houston
Visit site
According to the article: "The former NFL coach, who had a 9-25 record at Army, will be succeeded by offensive line coach Stan Brock." Sounds like that coaching door is now closed.