Ice fishing

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Anyone on this board big into ice fishing? Ive only been out twice so far this year. Caught some nice yellows and a few walleyes at Clear Lake last week.

Anybody have good spots around the Ames area they like to go?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I'm definitely no outdoorsman, but a part of me has always wanted to try ice fishing. Something about it just sounds like lots of fun, as long as you're doing it with the right people. (Like fellow Cyclones!)

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
i got my first ice fishing pole last christmas but i havent been able to use it. Now that i only have 2 more days of my college career i am sure i will have more time on the weekends.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
My dad and I have been going up to Grand Marais, Minnesota ever since I was 10. We go up for opening weekend of Trout season, which this year is on January 15th.

for the last 10 years, we've just gone out with a sled of supplies and a bucket to sit on, and set up in the middle of the lake for 8 hours a day, usually a 3-4 day trip. Last year, it was -45 below with the wind both days we were out there, and because of the wind, we weren't able to stay put on the ice for much longer than a few minutes at a time (we use tip-ups and sit on shore).

This year, we bought an ice hut, and are going for 4 days of fishing.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I just use a portable sled and bring alonga little heater. You can sit there for 5-6 hours without getting cold in -5 degree weather. I prefer to use my flasher and jig vs tip ups.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Caught a couple walleye at Big Creek a couple days ago... not much size however. Gonna go out to Ada Hayden tomorrow and try for some crappie.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
My dad and I have been going up to Grand Marais, Minnesota ever since I was 10. We go up for opening weekend of Trout season, which this year is on January 15th.

for the last 10 years, we've just gone out with a sled of supplies and a bucket to sit on, and set up in the middle of the lake for 8 hours a day, usually a 3-4 day trip. Last year, it was -45 below with the wind both days we were out there, and because of the wind, we weren't able to stay put on the ice for much longer than a few minutes at a time (we use tip-ups and sit on shore).

This year, we bought an ice hut, and are going for 4 days of fishing.
Lake Trout?

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Anyone on this board big into ice fishing? Ive only been out twice so far this year. Caught some nice yellows and a few walleyes at Clear Lake last week.

Anybody have good spots around the Ames area they like to go?

What are yellows - perch?

balken

Apr 14, 2006
I picked up some frozen tilapia at the store today.

Last edited:

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I would like to go fishing and catch a fish stick. That would be convenient. I could easily get a job at Mrs. Paul’s.
You know how those McDonald's ads always say, "Participation may vary"? Well, I wanna open a McDonald's and not participate in anything! People will come in and say, "Hey man, can I get a Big Mac?" "NOPE! We got spaghetti! And blankets."

Reactions: SplitIdentity

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I picked up some frozen tilapia at the store today.

I used to enjoy Tilapia until a guy told me over lunch this summer (yes, I was eating Tilapia) that their main source of food is other fish's feces.