***Minnesota Twins 2021 Thread***

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Dobnak couldn't get my wife out.

The regression of almost every Twin (with the exception of Buxton when he can manage to be on the field) from last year is a head shaker. Hard for Falvey to evaluate what he really has.
Berrios has been OK, and I hope his win total keeps going up to drive trade value.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
giphy.gif

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The worst part is so many of the guys on this roster don't even have much trade value. I guess it will depend on how many sellers there are and who's available. Hopefully there are a lot of buyers willing to overpay for some veteran rentals, but the reality is the Twins roster is full of replacement level and below guys. There's only so much help guys on this roster can provide someone.

Because Buxton is always hurt, the sad thing is there really isn't a single veteran on this team that you look at as an actual building block. It's just a bunch of guys that could be plugged in to fill holes around a good team and lineup. It's just amazing how quick the decline has been for this team.

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
Hate to say it, but it might be time to deal Buxton and Berrios. Just not convinced the Twins are willing to meet their contract demands. Trade value for both guys will keep going down the closer they get to free agency.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Blow it all up after getting smoked by who should actually be the worst team in baseball.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Hate to say it, but it might be time to deal Buxton and Berrios. Just not convinced the Twins are willing to meet their contract demands. Trade value for both guys will keep going down the closer they get to free agency.

Berrios I think they will meet his demands. Buxton may be disgruntled anyway, so they might not be able to re-sign him.

As far as potential free-agents, Simmons, Cruz, Pineda and Robles should have at least a little value. Won't get much for Simmons or Robles, but might get a low minors flier. Cruz and Pineda might actually get something slightly better.

JA Happ and Matt Shoemaker won't bring anything.

I would probably see if you can get anything for Sano. I think he's expendable if you can get anything that might be useful in the future. Same for Kepler, as much as you like him.

I would see what you could get for Polanco as well. You might actually get something good. I think Arraez is fine at 2B and I'm hopefully they will go for a big name SS this offseason with so many available, especially if they traded Donaldson.

Could also see what they could get for Refsnyder or Garlick. They are playing great, but are likely are playing above there heads. Could sell out while the getting is good.

The other thing to consider is Kiriloff, Larnach, Rooker, Celestino. I'd be willing to part with 1 of them if you got something really good. In theory, they might all fit in the future with Rooker at DH, Kiriloff at 1B and Larnach and Celestino in the OF.

Obviously you aren't making all of those trades, but those are the ones I think they could consider.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What is Buxton so pissed off about? Is this for real or just speculation? Is it all about the service time thing?

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Just speculation from Patrick Reusse. He thinks Buxton still holds a grudge about the service time thing.

Yeah. If he is wrong, I would sign him. With his injury history, he shouldnt get as big a contract.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Yeah. If he is wrong, I would sign him. With his injury history, he shouldnt get as big a contract.

Top position players at gettign around $30 million a year, but they also play full seasons. Buxton has only been available for partial seasons mostly, so $20 million per year is the absolute max anyone is going, and no way is he getting a 10 year contract. Twins maybe could sign him for 4/72 or 5/90 or something like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Tpups21 and JM4CY

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Because they can go to either league, the top interest, in order, IMO will be:
Berrios
Rogers
Pineda
Simmons
Followed by:
Cruz

I think Buxton will be off the table, and the interest in the rest of Twins will be marginal and not worth enough trade return to Falvey.

Another club would have to have a major injury at third for somebody to throw an offer in on Donaldson.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Because they can go to either league, the top interest, in order, IMO will be:
Berrios
Rogers
Pineda
Simmons
Followed by:
Cruz

I think Buxton will be off the table, and the interest in the rest of Twins will be marginal and not worth enough trade return to Falvey.

Another club would have to have a major injury at third for somebody to throw an offer in on Donaldson.

Twins won't trade Rogers unless they are just completely blown away by an offer. Same with Tyler Duffey. They will still try to compete next year and aren't just going to have a firesale and a $60m payroll next year. That might also prevent them from moving Berrios unless they get something legit in return. In my opinion, they should keep Berrios and work out an extension this winter. IF they can't come to an agreement, then trade him next year for a little bit less.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
So, next year, the Twins are on the books for Sano, Donaldson, Polanco, Kepler, Dobnak, Maeda and Colome for about $48 million.

They have team control on Alcala, Gordon, Arraez. Rortviedt, Kiriloff, Jeffers, Ober, Celestino, Rooker, Thorpe, Duran, Balazovic, Enlow and should cost around 600k each. Not everyone of them is going to be on teh roster the entire year, but lets be conservative and say they are, thats another $8 million.

For arbitration, I'm just guess Rogers (10), Duffey (5), Theilbar (1), Farrell (1), Berrios (12), Buxton (10), Tortuga (1) and Garver (4). Thats a total of $44 million.

In total, thats $100 million in payroll and they'll probably go up to $125. To remain competative, they probably need 2 SP and 2 RP in free agency, and $25 million to get that isn't likely to cut it. Trading Sano would jump that to $35 million and trading Polanco would jump it to about $41 million.