Norvell out at Nebraska

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I thought Norvell got the Iowa State job? Oops..

Happy to see him get a chance to be an actual caller. UCLA is a good chance for him, hope it works out.

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
yea Nebraska is stupid, well Callahan is, he might be the single worse play caller in college football today, he either runs every play or passes every play in a series, he doesn't know how to do both, if he doesn't get a real play caller by next year he is doomed, they have the talent, but won't improve unless they can find a play caller!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
yea Nebraska is stupid, well Callahan is, he might be the single worse play caller in college football today, he either runs every play or passes every play in a series, he doesn't know how to do both, if he doesn't get a real play caller by next year he is doomed, they have the talent, but won't improve unless they can find a play caller!

Ummm...they had a pretty good year last year. They won the north and played in the Cotton Bowl. They have improved every year under his leadership. I'd take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Ummm...they had a pretty good year last year. They won the north and played in the Cotton Bowl. They have improved every year under his leadership. I'd take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Yeah, and did you see the plays he called when the Cotton Bowl was on the line? They were absolutely atrocious!

clacy

Apr 19, 2006
I agree that he is a horrible play caller and not a great decision maker in general (see the fake punt against Auburn).

They are winning due to the fact that the Big 12 North is generally pretty weak and they still have enough tradition, support, facilities to get good talent. Blake probably helped in that regard as well.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The first 15 plays are scripted by staff and they usually scored first. Then Bill goes to work calling plays and the game melts down. Bill calling plays is an advantage for the other teams. Let him call the plays. Word has it that Shane watson will probbaly be elevated and take on play calling duties. Time will tell. One thing is Jay Norvell was a player coach and they will miss him. Maybe recruiting will slip a little next year.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
what about Barney Cotton as a play caller. He has to be the absolute worst of all-time.
careful, there are still some barney supporters around here. apparently since his son is the biggest kid in ames we need to still be nice...at least until post signing day 08

Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
careful, there are still some barney supporters around here. apparently since his son is the biggest kid in ames we need to still be nice...at least until post signing day 08

No thanks. Barney Cotton is the worst assistant coach I will ever see in my lifetime. He's not able to find a college job after the atrocities he committed at ISU, and I will laugh heartily when he's forced to take a high school job.

I don't care if his son comes here or not. Show some compassion you say? Nope...if you're paid $170,000 a year, you DAMN WELL better be earning it.

G-Rock

Nov 9, 2006
I've heard that Ben Cotton will not be coming to ISU no matter what. Probably still some bad blood. Take it for what its worth.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
No thanks. Barney Cotton is the worst assistant coach I will ever see in my lifetime. He's not able to find a college job after the atrocities he committed at ISU, and I will laugh heartily when he's forced to take a high school job.

I don't care if his son comes here or not. Show some compassion you say? Nope...if you're paid $170,000 a year, you DAMN WELL better be earning it.

Wow you don't like kids from NE and any one who's looks remind you of Marsden and you don't want Cotton's son because he is Cotton's son. Time for you to move on Michael you will fit in better in Iowa City

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
Callahan is a moron. He has the luxury of the largest budget in the North, unbelieveable facilities and an instate recruiting network next to none. His record is worse that Solich and he has single handedly lost big games with stupid calls. He would have been much better off to let Norvell call the plays, and I'm sure Norvell had enough of watching this idiot make major botches. Nebraska has the Texas game won this year, except for Callahan's decision at the end of the game. We are fortunate he is there, it opens the door for the Cyclones to win the north in the near future.

Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
Wow you don't like kids from NE and any one who's looks remind you of Marsden and you don't want Cotton's son because he is Cotton's son. Time for you to move on Michael you will fit in better in Iowa City

Must you take everything so personally? I have no beef with you JCloned. I also never said I don't like Cotton's son because he's Cotton's son, I said I don't care if he comes or not. This is a board where opinions can freely be expressed, no? I'm not going to accommodate your every need, JCloned.

Time for me to move on to rooting for Iowa, I assume you're implying? Dang, you're right. I'm really sorry for being critical. I suppose people who are critical of the president should relocate to Mexico or people who criticize coaches from their school should choose a new school to root for.

Last edited:

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
The context of your statement is you don't care b/c he is cottons son. Why would you not care if he comes if he is a top prospect. Seems to me that a fan would want the best players to come to his school.

I do have a beef with you Michael I think you represent all that is wrong with fans today and as such I would prefer not to be associated with you as an Iowa State fan.

There is a difference between critical and being irresponsible. You can't hide your flaws behind the cloak of "what I can't be critical". Nearly everyone on here is critical of things from time to time, myself included. This has nothing to do with being critical.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I do have a beef with you Michael I think you represent all that is wrong with fans today and as such I would prefer not to be associated with you as an Iowa State fan.

Would you be taking this tact if his profile didn't state he's from Iowa City?

I don't agree with ML's take on the subject of Ben Cotton but it's not so egregious that you should judge him unfit to be a Cyclone fan!

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Actually I didn't know his profile is from Iowa City. It really isn't about just this string of posts it is the consistent patterns. Doesn't think Wes will be good player because he is from NE and reminds him of Marsden...Doesn't want Cotton's kid even if he is a good player...

THe list is long