The Fran fade

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
You don’t have a single Iowa friend? Lol
This. Not sure where he lives, but I'm on the eastern border of the state, and have way more personal connections who are Hawk fans than Cyclone fans. I do try to at least find people that I would consider friends who are neutral/oblivious if they aren't Cyclone fans though.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I know and interact with people who like Iowa but I wouldn't consider any of them friends. But then again I have a very strict definition of friend.
So interesting.. I guess it all just depends on where everyone lives and luck / chance! I just hope people aren’t strictly basing their friends off of the college team they cheer for.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So interesting.. I guess it all just depends on where everyone lives and luck / chance! I just hope people aren’t strictly basing their friends off of the college team they cheer for.

I base my friends on things we have in common and that I like to be around. Hence most Iowa fans are insufferable so I don't like to be around them. Similar to people who are actively opposite of political beliefs, I don't want to hang around you and listen to your nonsense so I won't.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This. Not sure where he lives, but I'm on the eastern border of the state, and have way more personal connections who are Hawk fans than Cyclone fans. I do try to at least find people that I would consider friends who are neutral/oblivious if they aren't Cyclone fans though.
Most of my friends are Hawk fans. It's not like we sit around and talk Iowa v. ISU all day. Hardly ever, actually.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
You don’t have a single Iowa friend? Lol
Nope. I don't live in Iowa so it's a little easier not to comingle with Hoks. I still see their annoying bumper stickers from time to time.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I base my friends on things we have in common and that I like to be around. Hence most Iowa fans are insufferable so I don't like to be around them. Similar to people who are actively opposite of political beliefs, I don't want to hang around you and listen to your nonsense so I won't.
Hmm. My friends and I rarely discuss Iowa State and Iowa to be honest. That is unless we’re tailgating at the ISU-Iowa game. We mostly discuss trending things in college athletics and then professional sports.

I truly get my fix of the banter here.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
My misguided younger brother lives in IC and drinks the black and Gold Kool Aid. He graduated UNI, but fell for the biased media indoctrination of NE Iowa. It truly is amazing that most Hok fans never attended school there.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
My misguided younger brother lives in IC and drinks the black and Gold Kool Aid. He graduated UNI, but fell for the biased media indoctrination of NE Iowa. It truly is amazing that most Hok fans never attended school there.
Maybe if ISU had that following they would be more popular like the Hawks?!

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Maybe if ISU had that following they would be more popular like the Hawks?!
They are these days. Back when he attended UNI, you could only get Hoks news. Heck, when I was a kid and tuned into the sports on the news, you didn't even know ISU existed. The media loved pumping up the Hoks... and that was even before Hayden showed up.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Whenever I make it back to Iowa these days, there is far more ISU gear to be seen than even 10 years ago. It has noticeably shifted.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
ISU only wants fans that went to the school.
That’s not true. Lol this whole thing stems from the fact that Iowa won the popularity contest back in the day and it continues to carry over today where people who’ve never stepped foot on Iowa’s campus say “we” and “us” when talking about the Hawkeyes.

So as Iowa State fans, actually going to the school, graduating there, etc feels more special and genuine. Nowadays though, especially with Iowa State getting better at football, the fandom is spreading more and doesn’t have to be carried on from someone who went to the school.

Reactions: cytor