Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Ok, son had a 7-9 pm final tonight. It’s online, why is there a 7-9 online final. Other classes opened it up for the day and not a specific time.

Im guessing that professor thinks their class is the most important, therefore it should be every students only priority.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Coming in to seek some advice / input on a recent issue. Yesterday I got a notice for mail that needed a signature so it was delivered. On the notice the mailman left included address of the sender which was a towing company. I haven't needed or had a tow in some time so I was immediately freaked.

Went to the post office as soon as it opened and got the letter and it was as bad as I feared. Last summer I sold my car. It was my first time selling and the first person to look at it wanted to buy it. So I was in a rush but thought I got everything: I drew up a contract of sale which we both signed and I removed the plates. The one thing I did forget was signing the title but people said that a bill of sale contract should suffice.

The letter I received from the towing company was that my (former) vehicle and in their impound. It was taken in on april 23rd and has an outstanding balance of around $650.

I immediately took my contract of sale to the towing company which they made copies of and my phone number for when the manager comes in.

Anything else I should do?
First, call the courthouse and check to see if it is titled in your name. I haven't heard of a bill of sale sufficing for a signed title, generally you need both. Did you give him the title but wasn't just signed? I'm guessing it is still in your name.

I say you have two choices: 1) Call the new owner and tell them the car is in impound and they either need to handle this or you will be reselling it 2) pay the bill and resell it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Im guessing that professor thinks their class is the most important, therefore it should be every students only priority.

Some profs overcomplicate these things, or think that's how it has to be because it's scheduled, or just have no idea that they can make a take-home final and not bother with that meeting period (even though the period is theoretically mandatory everywhere). And the only priority thing, too. It's astounding the ways that people can screw this simple stuff up. Happens in every job, but it's astounding.

They required me to have the classes meet for finals week, even though I'm not doing finals. So the capstone class presents their papers today, and the Civil War class has a freewheeling discussion day to wrap it all up.

Also, our British student did his Civil War monument idea as one that would list Confederate dead, and top off with the words "WE DESERVED IT." He would have that displayed in all their state capitals. I'd like to keep him around forever.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and cyrevkah

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Coming in to seek some advice / input on a recent issue. Yesterday I got a notice for mail that needed a signature so it was delivered. On the notice the mailman left included address of the sender which was a towing company. I haven't needed or had a tow in some time so I was immediately freaked.

Went to the post office as soon as it opened and got the letter and it was as bad as I feared. Last summer I sold my car. It was my first time selling and the first person to look at it wanted to buy it. So I was in a rush but thought I got everything: I drew up a contract of sale which we both signed and I removed the plates. The one thing I did forget was signing the title but people said that a bill of sale contract should suffice.

The letter I received from the towing company was that my (former) vehicle and in their impound. It was taken in on april 23rd and has an outstanding balance of around $650.

I immediately took my contract of sale to the the towing company which they made copies of and my phone number for when the manager comes in.

Anything else I should do?

I've never been part of one that needed a bill of sale, but the title always has to be signed. I think that's all anyone is going to care about.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've never been part of one that needed a bill of sale, but the title always has to be signed. I think that's all anyone is going to care about.
The local courthouse requires a bill of sale for all transactions now. I think they had people coming in and saying they paid $2,000 when they paid $6000 or so to save on the tax bill.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
In 40+ years in the lumber business, I have never seen anything like this. (Not even close!) We are beginning to worry that we will be robbed - not for money, but for the lumber! Prices keep climbing, and we all felt weeks ago that things were going to level off (and hopefully start back down). That's what we get for wishful thinking, I guess.
I tore out my deck last fall and need to rebuild. I am really considering waiting until prices come back down.

They have been, but not to the extent lumber has. Steel is way up, and shingles are on allocation. Things are going to get pretty interesting this summer, I think. Demand hasn't slowed, and interest is still cheap. So apparently people are willing to pay more.
Last meeting we had with our likely builder they said that they heard rumors of prices falling soon but had not seen it yet. I am guessing that is wishful thinking?
We REALLY picked the wrong time to do an addition/deck/gazebo. We actually started this process back in December, but it has been slow going. Our project is now slated to start in late May/early June. Every week of delay sees those lumber prices go up. :(

Gahhhh...I HATE broken quotes...

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: SCyclone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
When your significant other tells you something and that you are not supposed to tell anyone....... and the first person she sees what does she do? She tells them! (as I bang my head on the kitchen table).

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
First, call the courthouse and check to see if it is titled in your name. I haven't heard of a bill of sale sufficing for a signed title, generally you need both. Did you give him the title but wasn't just signed? I'm guessing it is still in your name.

I say you have two choices: 1) Call the new owner and tell them the car is in impound and they either need to handle this or you will be reselling it 2) pay the bill and resell it.

Went up to the courthouse. I did sign the title but I forgot to date it. Also after looking at both the notice and my bill of sale on the bill of sale I missed a number on the vin so that's not even right. God I'm such a ****ing moron. This is going to destroy me.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
When your significant other tells you something and that you are not supposed to tell anyone....... and the first person she sees what does she do? She tells them! (as I bang my head on the kitchen table).
I'm confused. Did you tell HER the secret, or did she till YOU?
If you told her, then you might want to stop telling her secrets from other sources, or at least have a conversation about what should be told to whom.
If she told you, well, that's on her if she keeps telling people.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
That's to get you to sign, so they can lock you in and then say, whoops, guess I was wrong, here is your jacked up bill.
This has me kind of worried for my sister. She is buying new construction that is supposed to be ready next Oct-Nov. Unless the price she is paying already took the current prices into the equation as this new one isn't cheap. At least by my standards.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Went up to the courthouse. I did sign the title but I forgot to date it. Also after looking at both the notice and my bill of sale on the bill of sale I missed a number on the vin so that's not even right. God I'm such a ****ing moron. This is going to destroy me.
So the other person never bothered to get the vehicle titled in their name? So they obviously never registered it as well. As long as you have your paperwork hopefully they can determine the purchaser is at fault here.
Do you have a date on the bill of sale?

Reactions: wxman1

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Last meeting we had with our likely builder they said that they heard rumors of prices falling soon but had not seen it yet. I am guessing that is wishful thinking?

Probably. The feeling is that until and unless the pandemic recedes - significantly - prices will remain high. It's mostly owing to shortages throughout the entire supply chain. There simply isn't enough manpower to produce at a volume that will satisfy demand.

The wild card is interest rates....should they take a jump, then you might see demand slow, and prices fall accordingly. But if you can wait until next year, that would be my recommendation.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
We REALLY picked the wrong time to do an addition/deck/gazebo. We actually started this process back in December, but it has been slow going. Our project is now slated to start in late May/early June. Every week of delay sees those lumber prices go up. :(

Gahhhh...I HATE broken quotes...

If only they'd bought the material then.......hindsight is 20/20, of course........:(

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Probably. The feeling is that until and unless the pandemic recedes - significantly - prices will remain high. It's mostly owing to shortages throughout the entire supply chain. There simply isn't enough manpower to produce at a volume that will satisfy demand.

The wild card is interest rates....should they take a jump, then you might see demand slow, and prices fall accordingly. But if you can wait until next year, that would be my recommendation.

Financially and logically (we are not moving into a house with two golden retrievers and no grass) we are pretty much set on not moving in until may or so of next year so our pricing won't be valid until at least January I believe.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
If only they'd bought the material then.......hindsight is 20/20, of course........:(
Too be fair, we made some changes so the amounts of material required changed as well. But even without the changes, they still wouldn't have made it to our place in their queue before now; we chose a quality company that is in fairly high demand around here. :(

• Friendly

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
My opposite version of this was my husband knowing that my sister's boyfriend was going to propose and he never told me! Got a call from Dad about a party he was planning for them and I was clueless so he had to awkwardly be the one to tell me that everyone else but me and my sister knew she was about to get proposed to. Men :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron