And the 2021 Best Burger is...

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Was passing through two years ago. Actually stopped for drink, saw that a local had a burger. I ordered ? burger with egg, it was very good.
Nice small town place!

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
I went to 2020’s winner last night, Twisted Tail in Beebeetown. It was very good... hard for me to label anywhere the “best burger” but was way better than several of the “best burger’s” in Omaha for sure.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There must be rules about not repeating establishments. You'd think that there'd be a list of usual suspects, how much does a restaurant's burger change from year to year.
More for publicity than anything. Why they don’t do repeats to my knowledge.

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
Yeah, most small town diners have always had a "veggie burger" listed that just means a burger with the LTOP on it. It didn't originate as a shot at vegetarian options. That may be shifting now, but people shouldn't assume shots are being taken.

Have lived and worked quite a bit in small towns across the Midwest and have never seen this. Maybe I read veggie burger and then didn't proceed to read what the sandwich consists of as it isn't something I typically order. Since I've been a kid a "veggie burger" has almost always meant bean burger or something not meat based.

According to the article they also just recently started serving food, so let's not pretend it's a tradition thing for them.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
How’s Brick City doing after they won? I remember being kinda pissed (selfishly of course) they won since it was next to impossible to get a seat there my Senior year after they won.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
How’s Brick City doing after they won? I remember being kinda pissed (selfishly of course) they won since it was next to impossible to get a seat there my Senior year after they won.

They are still doing good as far as I know. Went there before the ISU/BU WBB game with a friend It was as full as the state would allow at that time. That was a Sun afternoon game if I remember right.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Didn’t brick city have something like Herky Wings which were boneless wings or was that another place in Ames? I remember seeing Herky on the menu and thinking wtf is this. Then read further and thought that is awesome.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, I've seen "veggie burger" on the menu at places like this for 30 years and it's always a burger with raw vegetables on it.

Agree. So about 3 years ago I was at the mayo clinic with mom and wandered the subway level for lunch. Only burger place I could find was dairy queen. We each took one bite and tried to figure out what the heck they did to the burger, realized then that they had a different term for veggie burger than I had grown up with.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Didn’t brick city have something like Herky Wings which were boneless wings or was that another place in Ames? I remember seeing Herky on the menu and thinking wtf is this. Then read further and thought that is awesome.
I know the old Wallabys had Herky wings that were boneless (spineless). That is when Wallabys was by the west Hy-Vee. I’m not sure if the current location has them or not.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I know the old Wallabys had Herky wings that were boneless (spineless). That is when Wallabys was by the west Hy-Vee. I’m not sure if the current location has them or not.
That’s it! Not Brick City. I think your right.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

The new Wallaby’s also has Herky wings. Apparently Brick City is moving into the old +39 location, so things must be going well.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The new Wallaby’s also has Herky wings. Apparently Brick City is moving into the old +39 location, so things must be going well.

So will that be south of where they currently are/were? Never was to +39 did it not survive the Covid?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Bambino's in Ossian, in northeast Iowa. Be sure to note their most-requested burger: the veggie burger. Read it and drool.
https://www.iabeef.org/about-us/newsroom/news/details/24130/iowas-best-burger-named-at-bambinos

The annual competitio is sponsored by the Iowa Beef Industry Council through the Iowa State Beef Checkoff and the Iowa Cattlemen's Association.
It's run by the Iowa Beef Industry Council. The only rule to be eligible for the contest is to be made of beef. The more popular alternative meat becomes the less beef is sold. It's not hard to figure out the connection.
The term “veggie burger” predates meat substitutes by decades. Nice try though.
"Bout had a heart attack, veggie burger with no beef. Not to fear the Iowa Beef council came thru and gave us the real thing! That's true Iowa for you!

I am getting old old enough to wanting/ or at least willing/ to try the actual vegie burgers nowadays. I will survive, and may actually live a year or two longer if I do. :(

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
"Bout had a heart attack, veggie burger with no beef. Not to fear the Iowa Beef council came thru and gave us the real thing! That's true Iowa for you!

I am getting old old enough to wanting/ or at least willing/ to try the actual vegie burgers nowadays. I will survive, and may actually live a year or two longer if I do. :(

Best to just take a handful of dirt, throw it on a bun, add your condiments and eat that. It would taste better than a veggie burger.