Darryl from New Shannon on KXNO shows

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I used to be friends with a guy from south-central Iowa who grew up in a very small rural town. I'd say he had something like a modified southern accent -- kind of like a hick accent. Not much different from N. Missouri.

I also found that when I was around him a lot, I started to drift into the same accent ever so slightly.

Reactions: Macloney

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Used to live near New Sharon growing up. When I moved to northern Iowa in 4th grade the kids told me I talked like I was from Missouri. When I went to Iowa State a decade later, I was told I had a Minnesota accent.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I used to be friends with a guy from south-central Iowa who grew up in a very small rural town. I'd say he had something like a modified southern accent -- kind of like a hick accent. Not much different from N. Missouri.

I also found that when I was around him a lot, I started to drift into the same accent ever so slightly.

I grew up in Southern Iowa, and never really heard this accent people are talking about.

I do kinda have that accent if I've been drinking enough. Especially Busch Light :jimlad:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

I think it's less a Southern accent and more a "Country" accent. If you are from small town Iowa and you grow up listening to country music, and your parents grew up listening to country music, it's more than likely you'll adopt some of that twang.

I grew up in Des Moines and only have the stereotypical Iowan accent and say my As weird sometimes. But I had friends from Des Moines who were big country fans who adopted that style as well.

Reactions: khardbored

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think it's less a Southern accent and more a "Country" accent. If you are from small town Iowa and you grow up listening to country music, and your parents grew up listening to country music, it's more than likely you'll adopt some of that twang.

I grew up in Des Moines and only have the stereotypical Iowan accent and say my As weird sometimes. But I had friends from Des Moines who were big country fans who adopted that style as well.

Another example. My dad is from farm town Minnesota, as are my in laws. My dad has been in Iowa long enough that my brother in law think he sounds like he has something resembling a Southern accent.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I have college buddies from the Red Oak area and they and everyone they grew up with had that accent.
Pretty much a Southern accent without without all the "you-all" and that stuff. It's "you guys" and pop just like everywhere else in Iowa. You have to get quite a ways down into Missouri before people people start saying "you-all."

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It's not an accent. It's being drunk and not having most of your teeth.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Heres another: "Youse guys"

Its the dubuque version of y'all

I lived in Dubuque for years (from Dyersville area originally) and the Youse drove my wife nuts. I never noticed it until she pointed it out. She is not from the area.