KU reportedly hiring Buffalo's Leipold (not Monken)

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Kansas State doesn't have a multi billion dollar shoe company buying their team for them. I mean, from a coaching stand point, I'd say Bruce Webber has actually accomplished more being that he actually had to do literally anything.
Can you translate that last sentence for me? Not sure what you were going for there.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I don't blame you skipping KU football games on saturdays. They truly are an unwatchable mess. I have never been to Lawrence before to see the stadium or facilities. I get the impression KU has a LONG way to go.

I'm sure KU fans are more curious who ADIDAS is bringing next to Self's office.
Huh?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Nope, I have tried to watch some of the big matchups in the sport over the years and inevitably find myself wandering out of the room towards something more interesting. I haven't made it through a full college football game outside fo Husker games, where my wife has invited people over to watch, in years. It's just not for me personally. To each their own.
Who wants to tell him that Nebby isn't much better than KU right now?

But here we have it - he's a KU MBB fan, she's a NE FB fan. I guess I should have expected that.

• Haha
Reactions: JM4CY

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

But here we have it - he's a KU MBB fan, she's a NE FB fan. I guess I should have expected that.

Had a friend at ISU. ISU student, Nebby football fan, and KU basketball fan. He took a lot of **** from his friends. And this was in the early 2000s when we finally beat Nebby in football.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
when in person visits presume as they are and game day visits resume, Leipold will understand what he’s up against. Kansas’ game day atmosphere is about as loud as an Iowa 4A high school not named valley or dowling -

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Based on the feedback I hear from KU fans that do go to games, the general consensus is that they are not going to allow the administration to think that their bungling of HC hires and the garbage product put on the filed is acceptable. Not should they.

Hats off to any ISU fan who kept going to games when they stunk. Good for them.

It kind of sounds like KU fans are spoiled by basketball and expect rebuilding football to be just as easy and being good at basketball.
A good bball coach can rebuild a basketball program in 1 or 2 years. Look at Chris Beard killing it and quickly.
Rebuilding a football team takes multiple seasons. The difference being between 13 scholarships and 85. You can make strides in a couple years, but if you are building from almost nothing, it can take 4 or 5 years minimum.

KU restarting the process every 2 or 3 years kills any chance at consistency.

Now, all of THAT hinges on fans actually giving a **** about football, which KU is also not doing well at.

I'll give ISU in the 90s as an example. We didn't have great attendance before Dan McCarney because we had more than a decade of terrible football. The first thing Dan had to do was get fans to give a **** about football. That takes time but it's all about baby steps. Having a generational player like Troy Davis helped a lot. We didn't win a ton with him, but it was better than the abyss of football prior.

Dan was able to have some success, even if it wasn't always consistent, but he had limitations in where he could take ISU. So our AD went with a splash hire with Gene Chizik, who was considered a very good choice. He brought in some good recruits but had trouble winning without the level of talent he was used to as a DC at Texas and Auburn. He left for Auburn like a thief in the night and that was that.

Paul Rhoads was definitely more of a rah rah coach. He motivated talented players he inherited and the fan base and briefly showed us what ISU could be capable of. He was a lot like McCarney in the end and after a promising start, he lost steam.

But his efforts built the fanbase and gameday atmosphere to a point where it actually impressed the opposing coach. That coach was Toledo's Matt Campbell. He stated he remembered the fanbase and atmosphere at Jack Trice when Pollard approached him about the job. Matt has fueled that existing fire and taken the program to where it it now.

So in essence, it might be a 10 year, 2 or 3 coach stint before KU is actually decent at football. But they need the leadership to know what to build and how to build it for football.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
You are correct except the 10 year stint to be decent. Dan McCarney turned ISU into a 9-3 team in his 5th year. I think if KU can get to a bowl in 4 or 5 years that will be success. That's why I think this is the best hire KU has made in football. They hired a gritty football coach instead of a big name or a so-called great recruiter. They gave him a 6 year contract. This seems like the first logical football hire in a long time for KU. It's going to take time and KU's new AD knows that.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

I married a woman who grew up in Omaha and we now live in Omaha. What does that have to do with anything?

Man, you guys sure seem to have a lot of precon eived notions about exactly what fans are and are not allowed to do. It must be exhausting to carry all that baggage.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Man, you guys sure seem to have a lot of precon eived notions about exactly what fans are and are not allowed to do. It must be exhausting to carry all that baggage.
We have a phenomenal coach who is highly desired because we aren't a **** fan base like you.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Overall, I'd say this was a solid hire for Ku. They got a qualified head coach rather than settling for an assistant. I'm not sure why he took the worst P5 job in the land other than confidence and retirement planning. But he has and credit is due Ku's new athletic director. We'll see how Liepold does in Lawrence.

Reactions: randomfan44

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I married a woman who grew up in Omaha and we now live in Omaha. What does that have to do with anything?

It was a joke. What didn’t you get?

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I just think it's silly to say "sorry, KU will always suck. It cannot be any different." It's a fundamentally stupid argument. Will Kansas ever be a consistent national power? No, I doubt it. But it's silly to think they cannot get to where KSU and ISU are today. Hire the right person that wants to be there and don't make a mess of your scholarship counts and you get better recruits. Get better recruits and you win more games. Win more games and attendance increases.

You claimed les would have them in a bowl game in 2 years. I think you know nothing about anything.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
You claimed les would have them in a bowl game in 2 years. I think you know nothing about anything.
It's called being optimistic. People bashing me for not being supportive of the football program while also bashing me for being supportive of the football program is amusing.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
We have a phenomenal coach who is highly desired because we aren't a **** fan base like you.
Hiring coaches is a roll of the dice. You hope you find a good fit, pray you hit a grand slam and deal with however it plays out.

• Disagree
Reactions: JP4CY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron