Darryl from New Shannon on KXNO shows

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
yep... this is true. The majority of my family lives in South Carolina. It’s just tea and all pop is coke.
When we were visiting relatives in the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia we went to a fast food restaurant and I ordered my meal and told girl that I wanted A DIET POP...Her Response: DO YOU MEAN SODA? My Reply...."Just bring me a Diet Coke"....

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Iowa doesn't have a strong accent. When Iowans without much of an accent dive deep into country or hip hop music they pick up an accent. Neither result is flattering.

Derek's accent has a distinct "I don't have most of my real teeth" twang.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Can we get the title of the OP corrected finally? It's been open for almost 9 months and by now most people should be aware that there is no such place as "New Shannon", Iowa.

Generally, I would want the OP subject line corrected, but in this case, it seems appropriate for it to be "not quite right."

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
When we were visiting relatives in the suburbs of Atlanta, Georgia we went to a fast food restaurant and I ordered my meal and told girl that I wanted A DIET POP...Her Response: DO YOU MEAN SODA? My Reply...."Just bring me a Diet Coke"....
Why would you order a “diet pop”? That’s like saying “ I want to order some food”.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

Is pop a slang term for soda pop?

• Dumb
Reactions: CyBobby

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
NOT IN MARIETTA GEORGIA THERE IS ONLY ONE POP/SODA AND THATS COCA COLA....which of course is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia....We visited the Coca Cola Museum in downtown Atlanta.

But they'd classify a diet sprite which is a thing as a diet coke.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyBobby

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I feel like the possible rural accent of some of my massive Iowa family may be a thing but not really "southern accent".

Both can say "y'all" but every rural Iowan I know would say this:
You have iced tea? Or... Y'all have iced tea?

Southern accent says:
Y'all gah sweet Thai?

The pronounce tea like country Thailand which I have never heard anywhere in the midwest.

Not buying that iowa has significant amount of actual southern accent.

There are a million different southern accents. Not all sound like Georgia or Virginia. There are a lot of people in Southern Iowa with a a southern accent. It's pretty strong with my dad's side of the family. But then, they migrated to southern iowa from Eastern Tennessee in the 1850's. A lot of Southern Iowa was settled by people from Tennesse, Kentucky and Virginia in the mid 1800's. It's stronger with some than others, but I've heard plenty of older people (60's/ 70's) talk like Derek from New Sharon.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There are a million different southern accents. Not all sound like Georgia or Virginia. There are a lot of people in Southern Iowa with a a southern accent. It's pretty strong with my dad's side of the family. But then, they migrated to southern iowa from Eastern Tennessee in the 1850's. A lot of Southern Iowa was settled by people from Tennesse, Kentucky and Virginia in the mid 1800's. It's stronger with some than others, but I've heard plenty of older people (60's/ 70's) talk like Derek from New Sharon.

Yeah, I've only spent a lot of time In NW Iowa (almost all of it), DesMoines/Ames and Iowa City. Maybe southern Iowa does have it, I know southern Illinois does.

NW Iowa definitely doesn't have a major southern accent any more than white kids who listen to hip hop also pick up that sort of slang/speech pattern. There's a little bit of difference between rural speech patterns and people in Sioux City/Omaha/Sioux Falls but to call it a southern accent just isn't true. I waited tables in NW Iowa, Central Iowa and Chicago. I would never have mistaken an Iowan in those areas for a person from the south or vice versa.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
We call out Iowa all of the time for this. And you clearly don't know Ross. He doesn't feel beholden to defending Iowa at all.
He's gotten better, but apparently you forgot the time Ross melted down on air about Iowa's "strength of schedule". Thought he might actually be crying on air.

As far as "clearly you don't know Ross", most of us only know him from his on air persona, so we can only go off of what we hear.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
He's gotten better, but apparently you forgot the time Ross melted down on air about Iowa's "strength of schedule". Thought he might actually be crying on air.

As far as "clearly you don't know Ross", most of us only know him from his on air persona, so we can only go off of what we hear.
Kind of like when a sports talk guy says, "Just ask (insert famous athlete's name here) about..."
How the **** would I ask (insert famous athlete here) that question?

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Diet Coke, Diet Pepper the ones I go to. Some also have Diet Sprite IIRC.
The ones i have gone to only have Diet Coke. Got rid of Diet DR Pepper a couple years ago.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron