Tuesday Musings Stansbury article

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
A little off topic......

What pro sport has essentially drafted kids as seniors in high school and as underclassmen in college since the 20's and nobody says anything?

Baseball.

Is it because they have their own farm clubs that "old heads," and society in general could care less. Obviously, people are more emotionally connected with college FB and BB. However, pro baseball has gotten a pass forever for their system even though society and "old heads" would scream if they tried that in football and basketball.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
A little off topic......

What pro sport has essentially drafted kids as seniors in high school and as underclassmen in college since the 20's and nobody says anything?

Baseball.

Is it because they have their own farm clubs that "old heads," and society in general could care less. Obviously, people are more emotionally connected with college FB and BB. However, pro baseball has gotten a pass forever for their system even though society and "old heads" would scream if they tried that in football and basketball.
The NBA did try it and rightfully ditched it for very good business reasons. There has been talk of them reverting back to drafting HS players but I see no reason for them to do so. The business reasons for not drafting HS players still exist today.

I think the best plan going forward is that elite HS BB prospects can have two options. One, go to G-League or overseas for a year and then be Draft eligible. Two, enroll in college and once enrolled, you are ineligible to play in the NBA for two years (either play CBB at least two years or play one year of CBB and one year of G-League/Overseas). Regarding the 2nd option, I think some elite prospects may elect the CBB route with NIL opportunities, especially if shoe deals are permitted under NIL.

And to make the process even better for the NBA and CBB, undergrad Draft eligible CBB players can only be selected in the 1st round. If not selected in the 1st round, undergrad CBB players would be ineligible to play in the NBA for at least one season, Those players can return to CBB or play G-League/Overseas for one season.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Great article, and it contains one of the all time hammer lines:

Everybody loves to talk about accountability until they’re the ones being held accountable. The transfer market holds coaches accountable for doing right by their players, and the ones who aren’t able to match that standard will not be successful.

0B0BXuPTVWjGcLQx17I5l-0i6fA3foelQPw6kmMjF_cpQGS93eVUfr3PcyZWjRmExWlVL65IeAISGVNjldr5OGUXZF1zgx3UOa884Wop0xsChNGo9_wc_kik8OQlfiwSX6ttjA
Nice article @JStanz51 ! This is definitely a new era and sometimes change is difficult for all involved. You made many good points however and ultimately the player will benefit. I am also glad that TJ seems to have a good understanding of the issue.