Cliff Floyd to the Windy City!

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
The Cubs just signed Cliff Floyd to a 1 yr. and $3,000,000 deal. I can't wait to see the Cubs lineup this season. Cubbies to the series in 2007!

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I am a Cubs fan, and I believe they are going to the series once I see them make it, until then, I will doubt it.

Floyd is a good player, but hes only ever played outfield and 1st base, and the cubs are set in all those positions. There is no way you bench Lee more then a few games next season, and between Murton, Soriano, and Jones, I dont see much of a need for Floyd.

Murotn is very young and led the team last year in BA. You dont bench him, he is VERY good for his age. Soriano cost way too much to bench for more then a few games next year. The only option I see is to platoon him with Jones, and Jones would not be happy in that role. So unless they have a trade in the works, or Jones is willing to platoon, I dont see this being a very good pickup for the Cubs.

Last edited:

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Color me unimpressed. I've never been a huge fan of Floyd and I like Matt Murton in left. Who knows how this season will turn out, but I'll put my trust into Hendry's and Lou Pinella's hands and do what I always do. I'll put on my Cubbie Blue, turn on WGN and hope and cheer for the best. Go Cubs!

Last edited:

hiwhatis

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, IA
I don't know about you guys but this whole team should be a ton better. One of the things that hurt us most last year was the injury bug. Even without Prior, Wood, or Miller this year we could be serious contenders for the Central. A love the pitching staff because of the depth. The starters we have would be Zombrano, Lily, Marquis, Prior, Miller, Hill, Marshall, or even Guzman. Combine that with Dempster and the only good thing last year (Eyre and Howry) along with Wood in the pen. I think that sounds like it could win some games alone.

The lineup I see for next year would be:
CF Soriano
2B Derossa
1B Lee
3B Ramirez
C Barret
RF Jones
LF Murton
SS Izturis
P Zombrano

With Floyd, Pagan, and Theriot on the bench I think they could do well especially with a new coach and we got rid of McPhail!!!!
CUBBIES TO WS IN 07!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I am a Cubs fan, and I know that we always say "Next Year," but good God I have never wanted this year to start so badly. As for whoever said this was a bad pick-up for the Cubs you have got to be kidding me!?!? Floyd obviously knows he is not going to be a starter most of the time, but he could be key if someone gets injured and we need someone to fill a spot. And also we needed a left-handed bat off of the bench and we just got him. Yeah he's past his prime, but he will still be a nice fit in Chi-Town. If Prior is ready to go, like people are saying, then the Cubs are at the very least making the playoffs.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Guess Hendrick's heart attack made him speed up the Cub rejuvenation process. By the way, Murdoch is looking at buying rhe Tribune and the Cubbies. They need to perform well this year so Tribune is sold at a higher price. The bubblegum days are long gone and a wineer is need besides the Bears, White Sox and Bulls, and perhaps even BlackHwks. Cubs are due to win by default. Maud, it must have been a hundred years since the Cuibs won it all. Heard that fan who stole the playoffs by interfering with catching the ball finally moved out of town.

Last edited:

CyBandCG

Dec 11, 2006
Ames, IA
I love the Cubs, I love what they have done. I am going to cheer like crazy this summer and hopefully make it to a couple of games. Also I think they have a shot to make the playoffs. Remember they play in the NL Central where St Louis made it to the playoffs with 83 wins and the Cubs have dramatically improved there team.

FirNaTine

Sep 3, 2006
Mason City
LOL!!! The same talk every year, here we go again. Oh and by the way CyBand the Cards not only made the playoffs I believe they where the world champs. Zambrano goes off the deep end, Soriano tears a hamstring, Lee stubs his toe and ur back at the bottom. Poor Bartman

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Floyd won't be more than a nice left handed bat off the bench really. He's had the injury bug lately and unless there is an injury or a major slump out of one of the OF's I don't see him beating out Murton, Jones, and definately not Soriano for a starting spot. I'd still like to see Jones traded away and bring in a proven CF so Soriano could play RF but hopefully the CF expiriement works out.

M&M had Bob Ryan on the other day and somehow the Cubs got brought up and he basically thought the Cubs had no pitching and for some reason still thought they were relying on Wood and Prior for the rotation. Let's see, they have Zambrano and Hill returning who both were pretty good last season plus Lilly and Marquis who are inning eaters and then a bunch of pitchers including Prior fighting for that 5th spot. While Lilly and Marquis don't strike you as big names if they eat up innings and keep their ERA's under 5 that is better than about anyone else the Cubs have had recently and if you can give the bullpen a lead in the 7th or 8th inning it's been a pretty decent bullpen when it's not over-worked and having to come in the 3-6th innings all the time like it had to do last season.

I'm using caution when predicting how good the Cubs will be but they definately shorted up the rotation and added a big bat to the lineup plus getting a healthy D-Lee back is like adding 2 bats to that lineup. I just hope they find a way to bring the team OBP up so there are guys on base when they do hit the long ball.

CyBandCG

Dec 11, 2006
Ames, IA
Yes I know, I am eternally optimistic about the Cubs. It is sad, they break my heart. But sooner or later, it will all payoff. The day they do finally win the WS my friends are going to hate me for awhile because I will remind everybody I know everyday. haha

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
If they don't make the playoffs this year with how weak the NL is, they might as well just quit playing baseball. I know they don't have a great pitching staff, but the Cardinals won the World Series out of that division with 83 wins. That's awful.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Don't ever underestimate the NL Central. Who gave the Cards a chance to win the series this year after they backed into the playoffs and look what happened.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
If they don't make the playoffs this year with how weak the NL is, they might as well just quit playing baseball. I know they don't have a great pitching staff, but the Cardinals won the World Series out of that division with 83 wins. That's awful.

I know I'm walking into the lion's den here, but you guys can't be serious with this stuff. This is a thread about the cubs, so of course I'm expecting a little anti-StL bias, but I think comments like this need to be a little better founded to be taken seriously. The Cards beat the Padres, then the Mets, then the Tigers, all of whom had better regular season records than the Cards. That doesn't sound too weak to me. The Cards have also been NL Central champs for something like 5 out of the past 6 years. Two World Series appearances in 3 years, with one World Series Championship. That looks to me like a pretty straight-forward record of solid performance, perhaps even to the level of dominance in the NL Central division. That's getting it done when it counts.

Oh, by the way...83>66.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
Another thing that occurred to me, the NL Central has fielded the NL champs the past 3 years running...06 - Cards, 05 - Astros, 04 - Cards. It's tough to get those W's when you're playing the bulk of your games against the best competition in your league.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I don't think anyone is dissing their run through the playoffs, that was pretty cool if you're a St. Louis fan. All I have seen is people saying that it's not too hard to win the NL Central, isn't that true?? I mean you have to have around 100 wins to win the AL East so relative to other divisions around baseball I'd say it IS easier to win the NL Central.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
83 wins is weak. That would be no better than 3rd or 4th in any other division in baseball last year other than the NL central. I'll give the Cards props for getting hot when it counted and beating the teams they did to win the WS but if it wasn't for playing in such a terrible division last season they would not have even been in the playoffs.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Another thing that occurred to me, the NL Central has fielded the NL champs the past 3 years running...06 - Cards, 05 - Astros, 04 - Cards. It's tough to get those W's when you're playing the bulk of your games against the best competition in your league.

I'm sorry but having Cincy, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, and as you like to point out, the 66-win Cubs in your division does not lend any strength to your "beating up on each other" argument.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
Yeah, I might've gone a little too far w/ my inferences there, so I apologize for that, but I still don't agree that the NL Central is easier to win than other divisions. I mean, we had the wild-card out of the NL Central in '04 and '05, and last year the Astros were making a push to do it again in '06 but fell short. Plus last year was a bit of an anomaly in my opinion. I think, much like we're seeing in the Big 12 for football, that when all of the teams up their level of competition, you see more of a lumping in the middle, as opposed to a clear leader and a clear last-place team. Since most of the league games are played against your division, it seems to me that if any team can beat any other team on any given day, that makes it more difficult to pull ahead and win the division. Anyone else see where I'm going with this?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron