SuperTrooper

Mar 26, 2012
You think UNLV is going to make us pay 3 million when I bet they anticipate firing him next year?

I was being hyperbolic with the paying us. But we shouldn’t pay the buyout. But maybe albaugh wants to throw money away. I don’t know his life.

For those of you who have seen Les Miz, TJ will turn into Cosette immediately if ISU shows any interest in him.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
Medved is just a non-starter though. Basketball wise I think he is a pretty good coach, but he just burnt bridges in central Iowa.

I agree with you on Moser. I don't want to say he couldn't be successful here, but I don't think he'd be interested and I think to an extent he just has the perfect situation.

When it comes to the big names I just don't think we are willing to pay for them or really have the confidence they would be all in.

My list is really below.
  1. TJ
  2. Smith
  3. DeVries
  4. Nagy
  5. Gates
So just to clarify, your number one choice ranks above a 2 time conference coach of the year, and a coach who just gave your number one pick a 20 point beatdown this week in the conference tournament?

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
No one I hate on that list, but Belein's too old and I don't think there's a chance at Altman. I can't believe Matta is only 53!

PedSt and WSU both kicked the tires on Matta and he didn't show any interest. I think the only job he would take would be Butler, which allows him to stay home.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Do you really think that Tang hasn’t moved up yet because he hasn’t had any opportunities?
How many career assistant coaches have moved directly into a P6 HC job? I really don't know but it would seem most assistants who want to be HCs know they will need to prove they can win as a HC somewhere to establish their own record and that is most likely at a school that's not a P6. I would like to think ISU can get a HC with some sort of a record of success rather than taking a huge risk on someone without a record of their own.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Are you going to try and tell us not to believe our own eyes when we can all see for ourselves what you've written and how you've responded to anyone but TJ (and Fred)?
The entire discussion on this board is whether TJ is good enough or not. He is. That doesn't make him my first choice. Fred is. TJ SHOULD have been hired in 2015. That would have given us the best chance to maximize the potential of our roster. I'm not sure now is the right time to hire him because the incompetent that we hired has driven this program so far into the ground I'm not sure who besides a "name" is going to have the cred to get us out of the mess. Fred is the only "name" on the board. I want him. If we can't get him the the rest are probably all the same. However, the guy with the next best chance of fixing the mess is a guy who has a genuine love for the Iowa State. One man defending his home is worth 10 hired soldiers. That's how Matt Campbell did it. He has a genuine love for this place. TJ APPEARS to have that same kind of affinity. Steve Prohm never did. He had a love for the check. He'd have taken any job the year we hired him. Would TJ take any job right now? To really fix this situation it has to be done as a labor of love. Does Dennis Gates love Iowa State? Craig Smith? Just because guys can win some place doesn't mean they can other places. Winning 20 games this year is meaningless. Iowa State is a different situation. A different University with different people. Everyone has to be pulling in the same direction and it has to be FOR something.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I'm on board with team TJ Otzleberger. I actually think he'd be great. Too many are focused on this seasons record with UNLV. When my packers hired Matt Lafluer his offense at Tennessee wasn't very good. He's been a great head coach there. He certaintly wasn't a flashy hire. I trust Pollard.
I mean Lafluer also has a hall of frame QB to play with. Prohm walked into 4 NBA players and made it to a sweet 16. Not digging at Lafluer just pointing out that TJ wouldn't be handed the keys to a sports car.