Spring Weather 2021

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'd recommend waiting on putting down fert unless your lawn is in brutal shape. Doing more weed feeding than grass feeding at this point. Which you will regret in May when your weeds are lush. I follow Milorganite's recommendation and don't apply any fert until middle of May.

I go HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY on fert in the fall. That helps your lawn a lot more than a spring fert. The reason being is we want roots to go DEEP in the spring to find nutrients. If they don't go deep now. You will be watering all summer to keep it green and weed free

I really had to put it down. Had to fill around 20 holes the were left after having a tree removed. Had like 15 bags of topsoil to fill them all in. Was careful enough to keep the sod to put back on top. Very tedious work but it looks 110% better. I went with the Scott’s Green Max. Just trying to even thing out the best I could.

Reactions: aauummm

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I really had to put it down. Had to fill around 20 holes the were left after having a tree removed. Had like 15 bags of topsoil to fill them all in. Was careful enough to keep the sod to put back on top. Very tedious work but it looks 110% better. I went with the Scott’s Green Max. Just trying to even thing out the best I could.

I have some work along those lines to do myself. Cleaning up where our debris pile was and where the pickup crew drove over.

Reactions: cycloner29

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
I am seriously considering putting the snow blower away this weekend. The chances of having enough snow that will necessitate it said snow sticking around is getting pretty low.

I put mine away this last weekend. Screw it. It's nearly Spring!

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I was just thinking about putting the blower away too...

Now that it's nice out and the kids are wanting to pull pretty much every toy out of the garage it is in the way more than anything.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
tenor.gif

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I go HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY on fert in the fall. That helps your lawn a lot more than a spring fert. The reason being is we want roots to go DEEP in the spring to find nutrients. If they don't go deep now. You will be watering all summer to keep it green and weed free

+1 on late fall fertilizer

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
False spring getting real. Tornado warning south of metro. Just lots of rain (some heavy), thunder and a little BB sized hail here so far.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I have some work along those lines to do myself. Cleaning up where our debris pile was and where the pickup crew drove over.

Our front yard was not good before the storm (gf house, she is anti-fert due to dog). But after the debris from two 70-year old maples sat on it for 2 months, an then an army bobcat drove over it for 4 hours, idk if theres even 2 blades of grass alive. It's just sticks and rocks and sadness.

Reactions: wxman1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron