Housing in Phoenix

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
People are leaving Northern states partly because of tax rates. We are leaving MN to FL way sooner than expected because of taxes, we can both work from home. What we save in taxes will more than pay (mortgage, prop taxes, etc.) for our new home in FL it's a no brainer. But yes FL is going nuts right now. Two of our friends are house shopping in Phoenix this week, same reason.... tax rates. F Minnesota.
People are leaving due to the cold too.

For some crazy reason, people are starting to realize that they don’t have to live in a place where half the year is ruined by the weather.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
People are leaving due to the cold too.

For some crazy reason, people are starting to realize that they don’t have to live in a place where half the year is ruined by the weather.
It's not just the traditional states like Florida, Arizona, and Texas people are moving to either. The entire Sun Belt is being flooded by Midwesterners. Nashville is becoming quite a popular place for young people to go.

Reactions: DFWClone

83cy

May 14, 2006
Than what explains housing prices in tax- friendly MN going up the same amount? 350k houses a year ago are now $450k
Tax friendly, oh you are a funny one. Cheap mortgage rates primarily, but I haven't seen prices up that much in the Minneapolis area.

Reactions: agentbear

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia

According to the analysis above it seems to be a supply problem.

For various reasons people just aren’t selling homes like they used to (could be boomers not wanting to increase exposure to Covid, among other reasons).

New Yorkers are leaving for pretty much everywhere thats not NYC. Not much reason to pay for expensive NY real estate if a person is no longer commuting to midtown Manhattan everyday.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Than what explains housing prices in tax- friendly MN going up the same amount? 350k houses a year ago are now $450k

Housing market in suburban NJ, with some of the highest taxes in the nation, also going crazy right now as various NYC people no longer have a need to stay in the city and realize the value of having more space in the Covid era.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
North Carolina is another state getting a lot of the inflow of new residents.

It’s going to be interesting how this all shakes out. Boats are also sky high and engrossed in bidding wars, but I think boats will work themselves out of it when/if interest rates keep rising...who knows

Also, keep an eye on the tech of 3D printing of smaller starter houses. I’ve read the 3D tech is getting much closer to being viable and accepted in the ecosystem of the home building business in certain cities. It’s supposedly twice as cheap and twice and fast to build as of right now, not sure on insurance though.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

According to the analysis above it seems to be a supply problem.

For various reasons people just aren’t selling homes like they used to (could be boomers not wanting to increase exposure to Covid, among other reasons).

New Yorkers are leaving for pretty much everywhere thats not NYC. Not much reason to pay for expensive NY real estate if a person is no longer commuting to midtown Manhattan everyday.

A lot of it is also a decade of not all that much new construction either, compared to prior eras. We haven't been keeping pace with growth. Especially in lower price ranges.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
A lot of it is also a decade of not all that much new construction either, compared to prior eras. We haven't been keeping pace with growth. Especially in lower price ranges.

In the twin cities the hottest segment is 250-300 because that's considered entry level. But everything up to 750k is flying right now

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Housing markets are just crazy all around the country right now, including the DSM area. Inventory is insanely low and people are paying crazy high amounts with the current interest rates. One of my parents is a realtor and they’re prepping for all this to come tumbling down sooner than later.

There’s a 1050 sq foot ranch on .2 acres down the street from me that is asking 269k. Our house could sell for 50k over what we paid for it not even 4 years ago. That’s a 23% increase. This is stupid.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The problem with high tax states is they are losing people and instead of figuring out it’s high taxes, they raise the taxes higher so they don’t have to give up how much money is coming in. California is a prime example

EH3HKUh.png

Yeah, california's really sucked it up.

• Dumb
Reactions: dmclone and 83cy

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
North Carolina is another state getting a lot of the inflow of new residents.

It’s going to be interesting how this all shakes out. Boats are also sky high and engrossed in bidding wars, but I think boats will work themselves out of it when/if interest rates keep rising...who knows

Also, keep an eye on the tech of 3D printing of smaller starter houses. I’ve read the 3D tech is getting much closer to being viable and accepted in the ecosystem of the home building business in certain cities. It’s supposedly twice as cheap and twice and fast to build as of right now, not sure on insurance though.
This 3D stuff is interesting. I'd be down for putting one of those on a piece of land. I'm not really seeing any builders yet though.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
In the twin cities the hottest segment is 250-300 because that's considered entry level. But everything up to 750k is flying right now

^Truth. Neighbor listed her house on Thursday for $425K which I thought was crazy high for her little single car garage 1.5 bath house. One block west of Mpls. It's tax assessed at $275k and she signed purchase agreement on Sunday for over her asking price. :oops: They didn't even bother putting out a real estate sales sign. The assessments in my hood have been generally a pretty good indicator of actual market value. Had been. The hood has been a hot locale for decades but peeps are getting even crazier prices the last year. Desirable hood, low interest, low supply, high demand = crazydale.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Housing markets are just crazy all around the country right now, including the DSM area. Inventory is insanely low and people are paying crazy high amounts with the current interest rates. One of my parents is a realtor and they’re prepping for all this to come tumbling down sooner than later.

There’s a 1050 sq foot ranch on .2 acres down the street from me that is asking 269k. Our house could sell for 50k over what we paid for it not even 4 years ago. That’s a 23% increase. This is stupid.

Is this a good time for realtors or is decreased sales volume cancelling out higher commissions from higher prices? I guess it may depend on location.

83cy

May 14, 2006
California is not losing people
CA absolutely is losing people with high incomes, lots of people coming in from other countries for a net gain. People with high incomes are leaving high taxed states, there is no argument it's a fact. You would be stupid not to leave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew0311

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron