What happened

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
We hired a coat tail rider who hadn't ever built a program, spent 1 minute on a p6 bench or recruited north of the Ohio river. It was just a bad fit, he was in over his head from day 1. Thanks to all the talent Fred left him, he was able to hide it for a few years but eventually it caught up with him. This league is no joke, you play over half of your conference games against hall of fame caliber coaches, it's as tough as it gets. Very hard for an up and coming type of coach to get traction and have success.

I would prefer the person who has spent time on a P6 bench and recruited north of the Ohio river did it as a head coach.....not an assistant. Because Hallihan was never going to be Orr if you know what I mean.

Reactions: heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I would prefer the person who has spent time on a P6 bench and recruited north of the Ohio river did it as a head coach.....not an assistant. Because Hallihan was never going to be Orr if you know what I mean.

totally agree but if its down to two mid major coaches, give me the one has done those things over one who hasn't

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Dude, that isn't systematic outside of the basketball program. It isn't like Prohm's bad coaching right now is effecting the football teams effort or the volleyball teams morale. The problem with the basketball team begins and ends with the leader of that program itself.
Is his boss going to do anything about it?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I call ******** because I’ve been in game threads on this site for 10 years and I know from there that no ISU player has ever boxed out.
I see lots of Iowa fans on FB whining about their team not boxing out. And they are one of the best meat and potatoes teams in the country. There's not boxing out on EVERY PLAY, and the ISU we haven't boxed out on ANY PLAY.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I saw two assists yesterday from the posts passing the ball to an open 3. What was this thing I saw? :eek:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I saw Coleman Lands carrying one during a break in the game on tv. I figured they got them before the game.

Hmm. Maybe they did something to honor seniors before I got there.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I hope it isn't down to that......because then JP is settling. And that would be disappointing considering this league is no joke and half the games are against hall of famers.
Settling? Who the hell do you expect Iowa St to get? Maybe JP pulls off a big Johnny Orr type hire, but I can't see it.

Here's the nuts and bolts: 6 years ago Iowa St was coming off top 15 season with sold out home games, headed toward being ranked in the pre season top 10 with 2 potential All Americans on the roster, and their final 2 candidates were a mid major coach, and a former assistant who had never been a head coach.

Reactions: Macloney

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Hmm. Maybe they did something to honor seniors before I got there.

I was at the game.

They did a presentation before the game and gave the players the framed jerseys. Introduced them one at a time, showed some career highlights and narrated some stats. No family with them on the floor, but I think they were up in the stands. Prohm gave hugs.

Also, after Bolton was annouced as a starter as usual, the seniors got annouced as starters (including Steyer and Schuster) by their families on the video board. Kind of neat, but also kind of awkward and vibe killing. Kinda like Prohm.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Settling? Who the hell do you expect Iowa St to get? Maybe JP pulls off a big Johnny Orr type hire, but I can't see it.

I don't know.....you can always talk to a Mark Turgeon or Travis Ford to see if they are interested. They both have a ton of P6 head coaching experience and know this conference front to back. Neither are Johnny Orr hires, but they are sure a H of a lot better resumes than most/all of the mid major names being thrown around. Do you want to go the mid major route again? I don't.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I was at the game.

They did a presentation before the game and gave the players the framed jerseys. Introduced them one at a time, showed some career highlights and narrated some stats. No family with them on the floor, but I think they were up in the stands. Prohm gave hugs.

Also, after Bolton was annouced as a starter as usual, the seniors got annouced as starters (including Steyer and Schuster) by their families on the video board. Kind of neat, but also kind of awkward and vibe killing. Kinda like Prohm.

Guess I must have gotten there too late. I saw the video introductions by family, but not the framed jersey presentations. Sorry I missed that.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Are Steyer and Schuster done after this year then? I was thinking they were only Juniors

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Do you want to go the mid major route again? I don't.
I really don't either, but I also don't have a lot of faith in JP going out and getting that guy.

Prohm- mid major
Campbell- mid major
Hoiberg- no coaching background, also zero competition from other schools
McDermott- Mid major
Rhodes- coordinator, no head coaching
Chizek- coordinator, no head coaching

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I really don't either, but I also don't have a lot of faith in JP going out and getting that guy.

Prohm- mid major
Campbell- mid major
McDermott- Mid major
Morgan- mid major

Not remembering a Morgan besides Wayne, and wayne was not a JP hire. Who are we talking there?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Prohm- mid major
Campbell- mid major
McDermott- Mid major

Yeah. The only mid major I have seen around here that might be able to turn this around to Hoiberg like results is Porter Moser. If not only for that fact he has been there and done that at Loyola. You don't take a program like that to the final four and make it a 20+ game a year winner without knowing what you are doing. Plus he could recruit the Chicago area very well. Now.....how does that translate in the Big 12 at ISU....I don't know. That is why in my last post I threw out Turgeon and Ford. Wealth of experience for starters and that fact alone is probably as much as we can ask for.

Reactions: Statefan10