*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Matt Campbell has made working with pollard a priority. I was responding to someone saying pollard should be fired if he doesn’t fire prohm. I said that should never happen.

No you didn’t. You said there was one thing that mattered in 2021 and that’s keeping Matt Campbell happy.

And I said when you run a $100 million business, there is never one single thing to focus on. Campbell is the top priority but you can’t give up on everything else.

Reactions: agentbear

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
What about Archie Miller? He may get let go at Indiana but that dude was great at Dayton. Sometimes things don’t click but he’s a proven commodity. What would everything think about him as a potential replacement? Personally, I’d like it.

I think if everything happens like people are thinking at ISU, and he is let go at Indiana.......he would be the best hire we could get.

Reactions: cycloneworld

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
What about Archie Miller? He may get let go at Indiana but that dude was great at Dayton. Sometimes things don’t click but he’s a proven commodity. What would everything think about him as a potential replacement? Personally, I’d like it.
Just in general I get fairly nervous over taking people fresh off failures at other jobs. That being said it seems that he was quite good at Dayton so maybe

Reactions: cycloneworld

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I think if everything happens like people are thinking at ISU, and he is let go at Indiana.......he would be the best hire we could get.

Ugh, please no on Miller. As an IU fan, I have followed that train wreck for 4 years. He has never finished above .500 in conference there. He is weak on players and makes no adjustments in game. No idea how he was successful at Dayton, but is not a strong coach. Hard pass

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Ugh, please no on Miller. As an IU fan, I have followed that train wreck for 4 years. He has never finished above .500 in conference there. He is weak on players and makes no adjustments in game. No idea how he was successful at Dayton, but is not a strong coach. Hard pass

So basically like a GMAC? Do well at that level, but not so so at the next? Not that it's the litmus....but I watched his games against Iowa and he outcoached the s*** out of Fran.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Did that look like a prediction?
What I said was that he is replaceable. The things he's done can be replicated by plenty of other people.

Sure anyone is replaceable. But do they get replaced by someone who can achieve equal or better results?

Hiring a new Athletic Director has the same risks as hiring a Head Coach. Jamie is an elite Athletic Director. Sure he makes mistakes, but so does EVERY OTHER person in leadership positions.

Firing Jamie for making a bad hire is like firing Matt Campbell in the future for having a losing season.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Losses to ranked teams:

BU 76-65 (down 5 with 2 minutes left)
BU 77-72 (led entire game until 4:11 left)
WVU 70-65
WVU 76-72
UT 78-72
OU 79-72

Not good enough, obviously, but playing that many close games against good teams leads me to believe there's something there to build upon.
How many of these teams brought their "A" game on the nights they played us?

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

It's just one game, and I don't think Rutgers is the worst team to get beat on the road by 11. Also, I think the expectations at IU are quite a bit higher than here at ISU. But....if you are going to twist my arm, okay....no Archie Miller.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Nah those guys would've been fine. Jameel was probably the only guy that might've had a problem, but you need to remember that Fred did hold our guys accountable for their play on the court.

There were lots of times Fred benched guys for bonehead mistakes or not doing what they were told. Or Fred would pull them, they'd sit right next to him while he discussed what they did wrong, and then he'd put them back in.

Getting a 10 second violation while walking the ball up the court is embarrassing, shows a lack of focus and a lack of discipline. Steve not taking him out there was eye opening, but Steve not showing any emotion after that was almost more embarrassing than the violation itself.

yes, people
I'll be honest, I thought Iowa State was going to have a good shot at taking down Kansas State a couple weeks ago, but after they've now won two straight conference games, I highly doubt we come out on top. Almost sealing our fate in going winless in conference this year.

To make matters worse, most of us believed there was no way we'd lose 20 games this year given how many games we'd get in. Welp, we're honestly looking at going 2-22, which would be the 2nd worst record in the history of ISU Basketball.

Tcu is really bad, that could go either way

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I love Pollard and I hope he stays for many more years, but if he doesn’t can Prohm this year it will really diminish all the good things he did here. That Prohm hire and extension are two of the worst mistakes an athletic director could make, just a horrendous lack of judgement from someone that has shown really good judgement in the past. He had prior telling him not to do the extension too...Nobody is perfect, but holy cow that was two gigantic mistakes.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
So basically like a GMAC? Do well at that level, but not so so at the next? Not that it's the litmus....but I watched his games against Iowa and he outcoached the s*** out of Fran.

That's a low bar, higher than ours this yr but still a low bar. LOL

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

NENick

Feb 14, 2017

None. This Cyclone team is terrible, they aren't beating any good team playing their best. That wasn't the point.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
That's great, so he can out coach 1 out of 14 coaches in that league. Have you watched their other games? They csnt beat anybody else worth a damn except Iowa.

Hard pass on Miller, guy csnt even finish .500 once in 4 years there.

Reactions: Halincandenza

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
None, let's be honest, we are the TCU pre Jamie Dixon era that Hoiberg got to face.

Neither players or fans got up for those games. It was either blow them out or have a somewhat close gsme that gave us some anxiety but ultimately won comfortably at the end to avoid a horrendous loss.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I love Pollard and I hope he stays for many more years, but if he doesn’t can Prohm this year it will really diminish all the good things he did here. That Prohm hire and extension are two of the worst mistakes an athletic director could make, just a horrendous lack of judgement from someone that has shown really good judgement in the past. He had prior telling him not to do the extension too...Nobody is perfect, but holy cow that was two gigantic mistakes.

ISU won the Fiesta Bowl.

So, no it wouldn't.