*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yeah, you've tried this narrative a couple times. It just isn't true. Do you really think there was any way Niang and Co. were leaving Iowa State with what they had coming back? He was looking for an offensive-minded coach with a similar style as Fred, that is true. The rest is your creation. We could've hired the 1999 version of Larry Eustachy, and our roster was going to stay intact. You commonly have no clue what you're talking about.
Well thanks for proving me wrong - oh wait you have no proof or inside knowledge at all. Just another message board poster with a contrary opinion - talking BS.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Well thanks for proving me wrong - oh wait you have no proof at all. Just another message board poster with an opinion - talking BS.

03c.gif

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'll be honest, I thought Iowa State was going to have a good shot at taking down Kansas State a couple weeks ago, but after they've now won two straight conference games, I highly doubt we come out on top. Almost sealing our fate in going winless in conference this year.

To make matters worse, most of us believed there was no way we'd lose 20 games this year given how many games we'd get in. Welp, we're honestly looking at going 2-22, which would be the 2nd worst record in the history of ISU Basketball.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I believe I knew this, but I stumbled upon this fact again.. In the 4 years Steve was at Murray State, he made the tournament once. His first year. With literally the same team that Billy Kennedy left him. After that, he never made one.

Funny enough, Steve's predecessor has made more NCAA tournaments than Steve did (2).

Yep, this is why some of us were so upset at the time. Most mid major coaches that get promoted have either built something from scratch over 4 or 5 years and had multiple tournament appearances, or they had a nice tourney run a couple weeks before getting promoted.

Prohm had absolutely none of those attributes. I dont hate the guy, I just thought at the time his resume was really weak for how high profile Iowa State was in 2015.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
That's exactly why Pollard picked Prohm over the other candidates - he wanted someone laid back like Fred, who wouldn't demand things from players that Fred didn't (like 100% effort on defense). He was afraid the returning players like Niang, etc. would rebel and leave.

So nice of him to base his hire on what would happen in Year 1 with complete disregard for the long term future of the program. Going 10-8 and being non-competitive in the Big 12 tournament and against Virginia that year was so worth the dumpster fire weve experienced the last 4 years. :rolleyes:

I doubt any coach in college basketball could have accomplished what he did in 15-16 with that team.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
This is really hitting me today guys and gals. Two and Twenty is really starting to sink in. I can't wrap my mind around this level of suck. TWO AND FREAKING TWENTY!!!! Assuming that's where we land, this basketball season will be the biggest embarrassment of my Cyclone fandom, and I lived through the Criner and Walden era. I've said it before: think about what Prohm inherited. Arguably the most talent any coach has ever inherited in year one in any sport in school history. And here we are.

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Interestingly today on the CBS Eye on College Basketball podcast with Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander, both predicted ISU would be keeping Prohm based on sources they talked to recently. Of course, they didn’t say who they talked to, but these are both well-connected and well-sources journalists who are not typically blowhards.

National media types are not usually as in-the-know as local media, but often they are willing to publicly say things that local media types will not because local media is fearful of losing their close access to a already limited number of sources in a local media market.

Just relaying info from some national CBB writers that I thought was intriguing.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
This is really hitting me today guys and gals. Two and Twenty is really starting to sink in. I can't wrap my mind around this level of suck. TWO AND FREAKING TWENTY!!!! Assuming that's where we land, this basketball season will be the biggest embarrassment of my Cyclone fandom, and I lived through the Criner and Walden era. I've said it before: think about what Prohm inherited. Arguably the most talent any coach has ever inherited in year one in any sport in school history. And here we are.

This has been my exact method of thinking. It's still jarring when they put on the Big 12 standings. 0 wins. Bottom of the bottom.

And I've said it before, I don't think you can go back 5 years and find someone who came into a better situation than what Prohm inherited. Maybe Chris Mack and Louisville? That's about the only one that comes to mind.

To think you can tank a program to this level that quick is absolutely mind blowing to me.

• Winner
Reactions: exCYtable

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Interestingly today on the CBS Eye on College Basketball podcast with Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander, both predicted ISU would be keeping Prohm based on sources they talked to recently. Of course, they didn’t say who they talked to, but these are both well-connected and well-sources journalists who are not typically blowhards.

National media types are not usually as in-the-know as local media, but often they are willing to publicly say things that local media types will not because local media is fearful of losing their close access to a already limited number of sources in a local media market.

Just relaying info from some national CBB writers that I thought was intriguing.

I will lead a parade of pitchforks and torches from Hilton straight to JP's house if this happens and there will be 40,000 of you with me.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If we lose out, we'll go 2-22. Counting the Big 12 Tournament, we have 5 games left and we're 2-17.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Hey, whatever. If JP truly doesn't give a **** about the MBB program I'd just as soon it have it out there in the open. And I'm not sure there'd be a more clear way of putting it than retaining Prohm after the worse season in the history of Iowa State basketball.

He will get the point when 4,000 people show up for the first game.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneworld

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008

I love Jamie Pollard. What he has done for ISU athletics has been extraordinary and he’ll never get the credit he deserves for what he has accomplished, but if Prohm is the coach next season, it may be time for him to move on.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny

Honestly, it wouldn’t shock me. National guys have sources to and while it seems to go against the grain to some in the know on here...I could see it happen, such a messed up year. That said, I think the change will happen.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You really think JP is going anywhere if he were to retain Prohm? The President has pretty much given him full authority over Athletics as she wants to be hands off the Athletics side. She is going to let him run Athletics as he wants.

Did that look like a prediction?
What I said was that he is replaceable. The things he's done can be replicated by plenty of other people.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron