Column about Hoiberg in the Lincoln Journal Star

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I still lived in Ames (as a postgrad) back in 2015. I remember the weekend when Fred had either been hired by the Bulls (or was imminent) I remember ending up in line at HyVee behind Carol. I didn’t say anything, but some older guy an aisle over or at the end said hi or tried to talk to her. From his tone it seemed like he wanted to talk about Fred. I just remember she looked super stressed and wanted to get out of there.

If that was just a sample of what they put up with, I can’t really blame her/the family for wanting to live elsewhere.

Well I mean I’m not sure what she expected that particular week ;)

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The thing is that with no sit out transfers anymore Fred could, if he wanted, bring the guys he wants with him from Nebraska so it wouldn’t be a complete rebuild. Rebuilding now can be done faster because every year will be free agency. I’m not saying it happens but it’s a possibility.

But I don't see how that makes sense. On one hand you can make the case that Fred is a significant coaching upgrade over Prohm. I don't think anyone disputes that. But that would suggest that Nebraska's roster is much worse than ISUs, as they are also a horrible team. If Fred is a major upgrade, yet their team sucks horribly, why would ISU want any of their players?

As for next year, Fred's recruit that is making his class is not all that much higher ranked than Hunter, and Hunter is playing a more important position.

So it's hard to say you want any of Fred's guys if you think Fred is actually good at coaching. It's not as simple as saying you are going to get Fred, and his best guys from Nebraska will come over, while the best of Prohm's current roster and Hunter are going to stay.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I mean, I’m sure it crossed her mind given the situation. But while grocery shopping? JFC people.

True. But according to what was written the person tried to say hi. Not exactly accosting someone.

• Agree
Reactions: Neptune78

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
True. But according to what was written the person tried to say hi. Not exactly accosting someone.

I don’t remember it vividly, so I apologize. But I think it was a little more than a greeting. Like I said, the tone didn’t seem right.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Good grief, how do the Prohm's and Campbell's and every other coaches' family in every other college town in America deal with this hardship?

Well everyone hates prohm, so no need to worry ;)

I’ll be honest I don’t think I could pick carol Hoiberg or campbells wife out of a line up.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don’t remember it vividly, so I apologize. But I think it was a little more than a greeting. Like I said, the tone didn’t seem right.

I could totally see being annoyed by that. But I also think that any coaches wife would get similar questions when out and about during the week that everyone found out you were leaving.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I could totally see being annoyed by that. But I also think that any coaches wife would get similar questions when out and about during the week that everyone found out you were leaving.

Oh no doubt, that’s going to happen in a lot of college towns. Still best to keep it to yourself, especially when dealing with family and not the coach himself.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I’ll be honest I don’t think I could pick carol Hoiberg or campbells wife out of a line up.

I really don't know how or why anybody would know well enough what a coach's wife looks like to spot them in person and be certain it's them. I have no idea what Prohm or Campbell's wives' names are.

People that try to start up a conversation with the spouse of a coach about the team in a place like a grocery store are idiots. I don't care if you are positive, nice, or whatever, it's just really creepy. If they are at a football/basketball event, that's one thing. Out buying toilet paper and produce, nope.

Reactions: Cyched

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

Fred posted quite a bit of pictures of his family on social media, so that probably helped people pick her out of a crowd.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Fred posted quite a bit of pictures of his family on social media, so that probably helped people pick her out of a crowd.

Fred is also the golden boy of ISU and Ames, where both he and his wife grew up in. There have been plenty of stories on them over the years, so knowing Carol, just like their kids, isn’t uncommon.

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
If there is going to be a change this year, AND if he is interested, in my book he beats anyone on any list I have seen. Because other than the story line of the mayor, done it before......IMO he would be the one coach who could keep the talent that is here...here and keep the incoming recruits.....coming. Hence making the transition that much smoother. And like others who have stated if someone like T.J. is coach he could bring along some of his recruits......why couldn't Fred talk his best recruits into following him? ISU is a better program.....and he did have success here.

Edit....cycub51 beat me to the last point.
You could sell me on this, but I'm skeptical he could recreate his success. When he was here the first time he had never failed at anything in his life. Its part of why I was so confident from day 1. He's done nothing but fail since leaving even if its not 100% his fault. It can be hard to right that ship and regain confidence.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I really don't know how or why anybody would know well enough what a coach's wife looks like to spot them in person and be certain it's them. I have no idea what Prohm or Campbell's wives' names are.

People that try to start up a conversation with the spouse of a coach about the team in a place like a grocery store are idiots. I don't care if you are positive, nice, or whatever, it's just really creepy. If they are at a football/basketball event, that's one thing. Out buying toilet paper and produce, nope.

You're right...but regarding wives / kids I should be so lucky as to seem creepy by chatting up Abby Hornacek...

• Love
Reactions: Land Shark

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
You could sell me on this, but I'm skeptical he could recreate his success. When he was here the first time he had never failed at anything in his life. Its part of why I was so confident from day 1. He's done nothing but fail since leaving even if its not 100% his fault. It can be hard to right that ship and regain confidence.

Oh I am not certain of anything either and re-creating how he did it would be next to impossible. But assuming everything that is being beat about comes to fruition this off season then next year is going to be a crap shoot no matter who it is. And with the names people have thrown up and assuming he's interested.....he wins. If not just for that fact he has been there done that.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Put me in the camp of Fred is not coming back. But if he were I would guess it wouldn't be until his twins are done with high school.