Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Imagine this year if Horton/Haliburton/Wiggington were playing. Or imagine if Niang's junior year Georges, Monte and Naz all went pro and weren't there what kind of year it would have been.

Coaching is somewhat overrated, it's the players. CSP can get the players and without the early departures to the NBA or Covid it would be a different discussion.
If Niang and Monte left early, there probably would have been similar levels of drop off we have had these past two years. People point out all the time that HS recruiting fell off the face of the earth for Hoibergs last couple seasons.

A similar problem existed then that exists now. The recruiting is bad. Prohm has hit on some talented recruits early but those dudes left and they guys that didn't are either okay players or transfer out because they aren't good enough. The difference is those guys weren't early entrants and did stay but we knew we'd have a drop off once all those guys graduated.

Arguing that if those guys stayed for Prohm we'd be better is the same as giving Fred credit for deep runs that didn't happen because Babb sprained his ankle and Niang broke his foot.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
There’s plenty of things to harp on Prohm for, but ******** about NCAA matchups is silly. The coach doesn’t have any control over that. An upset happened. So what?

Do you think K-State fans were upset when UMBC upset Virginia in 18? Or were they happy they had an easier game to get their team to the second weekend?

Exactly, upsets happen. Lucky draws happen. Basically the NCAA tournament is a crapshoot.

The infinitely bigger issue is that we are light years away from even participating in it. We are 5-26 in conference play over the last 2 years. That’s historically bad.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUChippewa

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I, for one, don't think CSP needs to go for 2 reasons, one bball and one football. We need to be fiscal tightwads due to Covid and for the contract upgrades and extensions after the upcoming football season. Doing a buyout now is not advisable.

Basketball wise CSP needs another year. Imagine this year if Horton/Haliburton/Wiggington were playing. Or imagine if Niang's junior year Georges, Monte and Naz all went pro and weren't there what kind of year it would have been.

Coaching is somewhat overrated, it's the players. CSP can get the players and without the early departures to the NBA or Covid it would be a different discussion.

Flame away!

I don't know if this is satire. Coaching is somewhat overrated?

So you say it's the players; Prohm's obviously not bringing in the right players, as they've only won 14 games in two years (50 wins in the last 4 years).

Iowa State has had 2 players leave early for the NBA in CSP's tenure. That's not the problem. CSP's demise has been the recruits that don't contribute, or the recruits that never make it to the first game of the season.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
I don't know if this is satire. Coaching is somewhat overrated?

So you say it's the players; Prohm's obviously not bringing in the right players, as they've only won 14 games in two years (50 wins in the last 4 years).

Iowa State has had 2 players leave early for the NBA in CSP's tenure. That's not the problem. CSP's demise has been the recruits that don't contribute, or the recruits that never make it to the first game of the season.

Actually he has 4 guys in the pros that would be starting for us this season.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I, for one, don't think CSP needs to go for 2 reasons, one bball and one football. We need to be fiscal tightwads due to Covid and for the contract upgrades and extensions after the upcoming football season. Doing a buyout now is not advisable.

Basketball wise CSP needs another year. Imagine this year if Horton/Haliburton/Wiggington were playing. Or imagine if Niang's junior year Georges, Monte and Naz all went pro and weren't there what kind of year it would have been.

Flame away!
You have to factor in the financial ramifications of retaining him, as ticket sales will plummet. It's also been heard through the grapevine that donors have ponied up some dough for the buyout. Not sure if the rumors true or not, but regardless, Jamie knows the ramifications of bringing him back, especially considering interest in the program is nearing all-time-low records, surely.

Your second point makes literally no sense into why he should be retained and is just a poor excuse to accept how far this program has fallen.

Coaching is definitely not overrated at the college level. In the last two seasons in the games I've watched, there has been absolutely no form of an offense run, and the guys are absolutely clueless on defense. I've seen AAU games with better coaching. I think we have plenty of talent on our roster to win several games this season, but it's been the in-game coaching decisions that have killed us the most. Players leaving to the NBA is not an excuse either. We lost Tyrese, who was an absolute stud here, but we still were hot garbage last year when he was individually playing great basketball. COVID also is also a bad excuse. You can't blame COVID for the basketball team's failures while saying that there shouldn't be an asterisk on the great football season we just had. Talk about moving the goalposts.. In fact, the football team's success proves that good teams will overcome tough situations. Bad teams will go winless in conference play.

• Winner
Reactions: socalcy

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Randy, is it too early for this?

BrightOldGossamerwingedbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Flame away!

Diamond hands. HOLD!

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
If Niang and Monte left early, there probably would have been similar levels of drop off we have had these past two years. People point out all the time that HS recruiting fell off the face of the earth for Hoibergs last couple seasons.

If I recall wasn't Monte Morris Hoibergs last high school committed recruit? If it wasn't him, I think it was Thomas.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Given our history it’s just hard for me to diminish a Sweet 16 appearance, regardless of how it happens. My point on K-State and UMBC in 2018 stands.

I’d be curious to go back to the threads when we found out LR had upset Purdue. I’m sure there was more excitement that we only had to beat a 12 seed rather than “well **** this isn’t going to count now.”

Low major or not, given Beard and the fact they had just beat a good Purdue team, I was pleased that we beat them as handily as we did.

Regardless, we all agree Prohm needs to go, so this is a pretty futile exercise. A good hire will get us back in the second weekend

I was at that game against LR in Denver, and they passed the eye test of being a skilled and tough mid-major team that could win a game or two in the tournament. I just checked out the T rank website for that game and we actually won by more than we were supposed to by playing one of our best games of the season.

Yeah. I mentioned a week ago or so that I'm tired of having the same arguments about Prohm that I've been having for the last few seasons on here and that I'm ready to move on from those arguments. The same posters who didn't like Prohm from the get go certainly are not going to have their minds changed by the last couple of seasons, but when faced with such obvious buffoonery from a poster who cannot even get simple facts straight about our roster I couldn't bite my tongue any longer.