Column about Hoiberg in the Lincoln Journal Star

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Lol comments like this don’t happen unless you are having serious identity issues..... like a DECADE after the change, mind you.

"This is the league we chose to be in," Moos said. "This is our home. We've got to work to be a contender in it. Nobody said it was going to be easy."

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Rare to get an alum and ex player to go on record on how bad the state of the program is

I guess I’m thankful we have guys who respect Steve enough to refrain from going public with how they really feel

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Cary’s right...it looks more like pick up ball, but with average shooters and no real rim protector. He’s missing a Royce White, Will Clyburn, Niang miss match type in which he/they can facilitate offense. Though it sounds like their talent will take a jump next year, but if he doesn’t show marked improvement next year...I can see many getting restless (even NU hoops fans)

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Rare to get an alum and ex player to go on record on how bad the state of the program is

I guess I’m thankful we have guys who respect Steve enough to refrain from going public with how they really feel
Wellllll Marcus Fizer did give some of his thoughts on Twitter a few days ago... Posted the "well we're waiting" GIF from Caddyshack after we lost to KU. I guess maybe he thought Jamie was going to fire him right then and there?

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Wellllll Marcus Fizer did give some of his thoughts on Twitter a few days ago... Posted the "well we're waiting" GIF from Caddyshack after we lost to KU. I guess maybe he thought Jamie was going to fire him right then and there?

Guy wonders why he can’t get on staff in any capacity at ISU and then does stuff like that.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Ted Knight as Judge Smails is one of the great ******* performances in cinema history.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Fred was ahead of the curve on transfers and incorporating NBA philosophy in the college game when he came to ISU. Now everyone has caught up and his success at ISU is a big reason why. Without those advantages he's not going to be able to turn Nebby around as quickly like he did ISU. I'm not sure he is really that great of a coach without those advantages. Time will tell... if they give it to him.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Cary’s right...it looks more like pick up ball, but with average shooters and no real rim protector. He’s missing a Royce White, Will Clyburn, Niang miss match type in which he/they can facilitate offense. Though it sounds like their talent will take a jump next year, but if he doesn’t show marked improvement next year...I can see many getting restless (even NU hoops fans)

Much of what he did here was with the same concept of "pick up ball", but he found the right mix of athletes and shooters to make it work. There, he doesn't have the same level of players and the big downfalls of that style of play are showing.

I think people underestimated how conditional a coach's style can be on the right mix of players and how easy it is to go south. It's no different than Shaka Smart - it's taken him an enormous amount of time to start to get the right players for what he wants to do and just now having some success.

While there are plenty of upsides, the big problem with these unique styles is that the highs can be really high and the lows can be really low and there is no quick or easy fix with even a couple recruiting misses.