Bridget & the Minnesota Lynx

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Still on the Lynx roster although the Lynx have been wheeling and dealing. Recent article in Star Trib here noted they will probably only carry 11 players and not the full 12 player roster max.

The Lynx are very deep in players able to play the forward positions, with Damiris Dantas and Napheesa Collier as the starters. McBride will very likely play a good amount of time at small forward. Plus, Reeve has Bridget Carleton and, if healthy, Jessica Shepard coming off the bench.
There will be a lot of competition for the final spot or two on the roster, which will include the ninth pick in this year's draft.

https://www.startribune.com/lynx-trade-mikiah-herbert-harrigan-to-seattle-for-draft-pick/600021462/

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Still on the Lynx roster although the Lynx have been wheeling and dealing. Recent article in Star Trib here noted they will probably only carry 11 players and not the full 12 player roster max.

The Lynx are very deep in players able to play the forward positions, with Damiris Dantas and Napheesa Collier as the starters. McBride will very likely play a good amount of time at small forward. Plus, Reeve has Bridget Carleton and, if healthy, Jessica Shepard coming off the bench.
There will be a lot of competition for the final spot or two on the roster, which will include the ninth pick in this year's draft.

https://www.startribune.com/lynx-trade-mikiah-herbert-harrigan-to-seattle-for-draft-pick/600021462/
I think she deserves a spot - her versatility is better than Shepard.
There is a speculation too that Odyssey Sims might be traded.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think she deserves a spot - her versatility is better than Shepard.
There is a speculation too that Odyssey Sims might be traded.

Don't agree on Shepard, she was playing great before she got hurt.

I do hope they trade Sims. She is a selfish player that does not make the team better. A drinking game with "Sims passes to Carleton" would leave your glass full and never touched!

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I do hope they trade Sims. She is a selfish player that does not make the team better.
According to the link I just posted:
Minnesota gets:
2022 2nd Round Pick

Indiana gets:
Odyssey Sims
Exclusive negotiating rights to Temi Fagbenle
2022 1st Round Pick
2022 3rd Round Pick

I'm no expert in WNBA transactions, but this seems to indicate the Lynx agreed with you. They gave up more in draft pick value than they received -- they paid Indiana to take her off their hands. I assume they would have lost the cap space she took up if they had released her.

EDIT #1: Indiana immediately waived her. It was indeed a cap space move.

EDIT #2: Minnesota immediately announced the signing of Aerial Powers. The agreement had already been public (it was mentioned in the article Boxster posted Saturday) but they needed to make room for her.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
According to the link I just posted:
Minnesota gets:
2022 2nd Round Pick

Indiana gets:
Odyssey Sims
Exclusive negotiating rights to Temi Fagbenle
2022 1st Round Pick
2022 3rd Round Pick

I'm no expert in WNBA transactions, but this seems to indicate the Lynx agreed with you. They gave up more in draft pick value than they received -- they paid Indiana to take her off their hands. I assume they would have lost the cap space she took up if they had released her.

EDIT #1: Indiana immediately waived her. It was indeed a cap space move.

EDIT #2: Minnesota immediately announced the signing of Aerial Powers. The agreement had already been public (it was mentioned in the article Boxster posted Saturday) but they needed to make room for her.

Wow. I said they were wheelin' n dealin' but essentially paying another team to take Sims and waive her is more than I could have hoped for! Not a Sims fan.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85 and kcdc4isu

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
A short interview with Bridget. Canada women's national team now is ranked 4th in the world (their highest ever). I hope she can fulfill her dream of playing in the Olympics this summer.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
From Star Tribune today with update on Bridget Carleton. Training camp opens today.

" But most of camp will be spent getting the pieces to fit together. To get McBride, Powers and backup center Achonwa into the mix. To see if Bridget Carleton, a surprise last year, has broadened her game to be able to play shooting guard as well as wing forward. "

Q&A with Cheryl Reeve: After pandemic season in Florida, Lynx return to home base
https://www.startribune.com/lynx-cheryl-reeve-wnba-season-preview-q-and-a/600049448/

1619369163612.png

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
If you follow Bridget she is more than just hanging with the Lynx, she has set several team records:

Another historic night came for Carleton on Aug. 31 against the Los Angeles Sparks, as she tied a record set by Lynx great Moore, recording 10 assists in one game — the second most in franchise history behind only Andrea Lloyd, who dropped 11 dimes in 1999.

And set several WNBA records for a Canadian:

Carleton set the record for most assists without a turnover by a Canadian born player in the WNBA with 10 in a 96-78 Minnesota Lynx win over the Los Angeles Sparks.

She also tied the Canadian record for most assists in a game with her 10 helpers in the contest. She tied Stacey Dales, who set the mark in 2004.

I will state an obvious take: Bridget is a great Representative for Canada and Iowa State.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
There are much worse people than Cheryl Reeve Carleton could be getting her chance under. Cheryl is good people.
I recall sitting down with her during a Lynx event after they won their first title. She asked me how I became interested in the Lynx and I told her I went to Iowa State and she instantly said “Wow you guys draw tons of people there in Ames”.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I recall sitting down with her during a Lynx event after they won their first title. She asked me how I became interested in the Lynx and I told her I went to Iowa State and she instantly said “Wow you guys draw tons of people there in Ames”.
This is why I have always said if there is a Cyclone player in the WNBA, the Lynx should try to have her on their roster. A lot of Cyclone fans would travel to see their girl and eventually many of them would become Lynx fans even if the Cyclone wasn't necessarily there anymore. It is good business.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclone13

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
This is why I have always said if there is a Cyclone player in the NBA, the Lynx should try to have her on their roster. A lot of Cyclone fans would travel to see their girl and eventually many of them would be Lynx fans even if the Cyclone wasn't necessarily there anymore. It is good business.
I'd add scouting WBB players may weigh disproportionately towards players of big name programs overlooking talent. Carleton going to the Lynx and her success is an example of that. Bridget's "unconventional road to the WNBA" was made possible by her will, and belief in her ability, and overcame WNBA scouts and its low team member counts.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
This is why I have always said if there is a Cyclone player in the WNBA, the Lynx should try to have her on their roster. A lot of Cyclone fans would travel to see their girl and eventually many of them would become Lynx fans even if the Cyclone wasn't necessarily there anymore. It is good business.

I really don't think so. I set up an alumni ticket thing to watch Alison Lacey when she was playing the Lynx. Now, she didn't play much because of Sue Bird but only half a dozen people showed up. Did the same for Monte Morris with a special ticket deal and section when he was in town to play the Wolves and I was sitting there alone. The Wolves ticket guy did give me some nice Wolves swag for trying. ;) Will do something this summer for Bridget but not optimistic on turnout.

Years back we did a ticket thingie with Fred Hoiberg and that did sell and generate some attendnence when he was a Bull and another when he was a Timberwolve and playing the Tim Floyd New Orleans team.

Reactions: Cycsk

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I really don't think so. I set up an alumni ticket thing to watch Alison Lacey when she was playing the Lynx. Now, she didn't play much because of Sue Bird but only half a dozen people showed up. Did the same for Monte Morris with a special ticket deal and section when he was in town to play the Wolves and I was sitting there alone. The Wolves ticket guy did give me some nice Wolves swag for trying. ;) Will do something this summer for Bridget but not optimistic on turnout.

Years back we did a ticket thingie with Fred Hoiberg and that did sell and generate some attendnence when he was a Bull and another when he was a Timberwolve and playing the Tim Floyd New Orleans team.
Not everyone who goes to see former players in the pros does it through alumni events. I personally know several Cyclone fans who have gone to games to see a former Cyclone visiting and would go more often if the closest arena was the player's home arena.

• Optimistic
Reactions: BoxsterCy