WBB: Cyclone vs Sooner Boomers at 7:00 on Fox Regional TV

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Since Texas and Oklahoma didn't give up their own regional and specials deals the game tonight is on Fox Sports Oklahoma. It will not be on Big 12 Now via ESPN+.

**** you Sooners!

Good news is it looks like it's been picked up by Fox Sports North and Fox Sports Midwest. Check your providers listing. I am only going to speak for Comcast here in Mpls having it on FS North. Good analyst though, Brenda VanLengen.

1612888518756.png

Where: Lloyd Noble Center- Norman, Oklahoma
When: Tuesday, Feb 9 at 7 PM
Projected Starting Lineup: Kristin Scott, Ashley Joens, Kylie Feuerbach, Emily Ryan, Lexi Donarski
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Noah Wolf, Jamie Steyer
TV: FSOK
Talent: Chad McKee, Brenda VanLengen

The Lead
Iowa State is looking for its third sweep in league action against the Oklahoma Sooners on Tuesday, Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. on FSOK. Iowa State narrowly defeated Oklahoma in Ames behind late heroics by Ashley Joens to give Iowa State a 64-63 win. The Cyclones have won four of the last five against OU, but trail the all-time series 41-28.

Key Storylines

• Junior Ashley Joens is eighth in the nation in scoring, averaging 23.8 points a game. She currently ranks 12th in school history in scoring (1,455 points). Joens was most recently named to the Wooden Award Late Season Top 20 Watch List and the Cheryl Miller Award Top 10 this week.
  • Joens is one of two players in the nation averaging over 23+ points and 9.0+ rebounds per game. She has four career 30-point, 15-rebound performances. All other former Cyclones combine for three all-time.
  • Iowa State women's basketball is ranked 27th in the NET rankings. Iowa State has played 19 games this season, which is among the top-20 in nation for games played. The Cyclones have also faced the seventh toughest schedule to date in the nation. Of teams ranked in the AP Top 25, the Cyclones rank in the top-5 in strength of schedule.
  • Kylie Feuerbach claimed her first Big 12 Freshman of the week honor last week tallying 15 points, three rebounds and three steals against Baylor. Feuerbach's weekly honor is the fifth Freshman of the Week honor for the Cyclones with Lexi Donarski and Kylie Feuerbach grabbing two apiece.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
It's not available on my YouTubeTV subscription unless I want to pay $11 for a month of the sports pack (they have it on FCS Central). I'm considering it.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Soonersports.com view.

FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
  • OU leads the all-time series 40-29 and holds a 24-7 advantage in Norman. OU won last year's meeting at LNC 81-72 on Jan. 11, 2020 and is 6-4 in its last 10 meetings.
  • OU will look to avenge a 64-63 loss in Ames on Jan. 19. OU held a 63-60 with 21.7 on the clock before Iowa State hit a pair of late layups to seal the game. Taylor Robertson had a season-best shooting game against the Cyclones as she drained a Hilton Coliseum record eight 3-pointers on 15 attempts.
  • Oklahoma is the only team Big 12 team with three players averaging 15 points per game or more. Madi Williams is fourth with 21.3 PPG; Gabby Gregory is 12th at 15.7 PPG; and Taylor Robertson ranks 14th with an average 15.5 PPG. Additionally, the Sooners are the only squad with three players in the league's top 15.
  • Junior Madi Williams has been named to the Dawn Staley Award late season watchlist, the Phoenix Club of Philadelphia announced Friday. The award is given to the most outstanding collegiate guard in the country; a player who exemplifies the skills that Staley possessed during her career (ball handling, scoring, her ability to distribute the basketball and her will to win). Williams is averaging 21.3 points per game to rank fourth in the Big 12. Her 48.3% (98-for-203) field goal percentage places her sixth among Big 12 players and first among the league's guards.
  • Freshman Nevaeh Tot has moved into eighth on OU's freshman assists record list. She has dished 69 on the season to tie Jenna Plumley (2006-07) and Sharee Mitchum (1991-92) and is averaging 4.6 per game to rank fifth among Big 12 players.
UP NEXT
OU heads to West Virginia for a Sunday contest. The game in Morgantown will tip at 2 p.m. CT on Big 12 Now on ESPN+

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sooners no post lineup from their game notes. They shouldn't be big enough or athletic enough to contain Joens if the last game is any clue.

1612893274693.png

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
No bad quarters or extended scoring droughts. I like what the team did against Tech at Hilton - they went to the basket a LOT. Keep pushing, keep moving, don't give up anything cheap and the rest should fall into place.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
It's not available on my YouTubeTV subscription unless I want to pay $11 for a month of the sports pack (they have it on FCS Central). I'm considering it.
We're looking for an alternative to our cable - must have range of ESPN and Fox sports channels. If not we'd add them if reasonably priced.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
For viewers in central Iowa who have the Mediacom subscription, you can watch this game live on their FSN HD channels 832 or 833, if applicable.

Reactions: aauummm

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
OU was badly beaten in their last game against their in-state rival Okie State so you can expect they will fight back hard and give us their A-game. Here's my pre-game thoughts.

1) I hope the sisters have learned the lesson (last time when we played them) and take this game seriously. We must match their intensity.

2) Coach Fen, please come up with a defensive plan to stop OU from going off behind the 3-point line again.

3) It will be interesting to see if our freshmen can play consistently and contribute on both ends of the floor in consecutive games.

4) Maddie Wise needs to play more in the game. I can see her play an important role in the defensive rotation in this game. I'd say this every game, all the seniors must step up and play well.

5) I pray we got a good officiating crew for this game.

6) If we play up to our normal level, we should win by double digits. But considering the unpredictable nature of this young team, I will take any win in any fashion.

Let's go Twister Sisters!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
OU was badly beaten in their last game against their in-state rival Okie State so you can expect they will fight back hard and give us their A-game. Here's my pre-game thoughts.

Sooners were quite feisty with a pressing defense the last 00:25 of the game as OSU was trying to dribble out the game clock. Got a steal and three pointer at the gun. :rolleyes:

Guess they didn't want to lose by 30+ and decided to play defense after 39 minutes of playing none.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

1) I hope the sisters have learned the lesson (last time when we played them) and take this game seriously. We must match their intensity.

2) Coach Fen, please come up with a defensive plan to stop OU from going off behind the 3-point line again.

3) It will be interesting to see if our freshmen can play consistently and contribute on both ends of the floor in consecutive games.

4) Maddie Wise needs to play more in the game. I can see her play an important role in the defensive rotation in this game. I'd say this every game, all the seniors must step up and play well.

5) I pray we got a good officiating crew for this game.

6) If we play up to our normal level, we should win by double digits. But considering the unpredictable nature of this young team, I will take any win in any fashion.

Let's go Twister Sisters!
2 - Didn't Fennelly go to a switch on everything plan on the perimeter in the second half of that game? I thought Roberson had all of her threes in the first half and they quieted her in the second half that way. With OU starting 5 players 6' tall or shorter I would think this would be the game plan until they force his hand by playing a legitimate post player.

Reactions: 67CY

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge

FYI, Fox College Sports is not the same as Fox Sports Regional (aka Midwest or North). So unless you can verify that the game will be broadcast on Fox College Sports, you might as well save your money. There is a 7 day free trial, but I just want to save you the potential disappointment.

I went throught this last year at this time when YouTubeTV lost Fox Sports Midwest in Iowa. Love YouTubeTV except for this one glaring problem.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
FYI, Fox College Sports is not the same as Fox Sports Regional (aka Midwest or North). So unless you can verify that the game will be broadcast on Fox College Sports, you might as well save your money. There is a 7 day free trial, but I just want to save you the potential disappointment.

I went throught this last year at this time when YouTubeTV lost Fox Sports Midwest in Iowa. Love YouTubeTV except for this one glaring problem.

Seems like Fox Sports pulled their regionals from most streaming services. I think Hulu lost them a few months back too. Kind of dumb to make their selves even more irrelevant.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
Seems like Fox Sports pulled their regionals from most streaming services. I think Hulu lost them a few months back too. Kind of dumb to make their selves even more irrelevant.

Fox Sports Regionals have slowly been disappearing. Disney bought Fox and had to sell off the Fox Sports Regionals, and sold them to Sinclair Broadcasting.

When the carriage agreements have been coming up Sinclair wants a lot more money and the streaming companies have been telling them to pound sand.

Now Sinclair sold the naming right to those channels, so it's now Bally Sports Regional. o_O

• Haha
Reactions: ISC

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
2 - Didn't Fennelly go to a switch on everything plan on the perimeter in the second half of that game? I thought Roberson had all of her threes in the first half and they quieted her in the second half that way. With OU starting 5 players 6' tall or shorter I would think this would be the game plan until they force his hand by playing a legitimate post player.
I just hope the defensive game plan works from the beginning in tonight's game. It's always good to play with the lead on the road.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Right. I did a search for the game on YTTV's listings and it showed up. I actually wouldn't have expected to see it there otherwise.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

They don't actually have a post now. Their two "talls" are missing the season now due to injury.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Fox Sports Regionals have slowly been disappearing. Disney bought Fox and had to sell off the Fox Sports Regionals, and sold them to Sinclair Broadcasting.

When the carriage agreements have been coming up Sinclair wants a lot more money and the streaming companies have been telling them to pound sand.

Now Sinclair sold the naming right to those channels, so it's now Bally Sports Regional. o_O

It's a pretty bad deal for Twin fans who aren't still on cable or dish. Throw in the stupid MLB blackouts and a MLB subscription is useless (designed to make you buy/watch the local teams regional telecast which is increasing difficult to procure).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron