Rank the Freshmen

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I mean Fran has a proven track record of developing guys. Marble, White, Uthoff, Jok, and Garza going to be twice (1st team all Big10 players). That is 5 players at 4 different positions into 1st team all Big10 players in the last 8 years.

Compare that to what Prohm has developed in his time at ISU, it just isn't close. Halliburton is where his list begins and ends. Wigginton was never 1st team All Big12, same with Horton Tucker.

So why would people all of a sudden think that Walker, Dubar, and Blackwell will suddenly develop under Prhom? Murry, Perkins or Ulis have a much greater chance of actually developing history shows than anyone under Prohm.
I don't think people are thinking these guys are going to develop under Prohm. I think we're hoping they develop under somebody else and I'm not talking about them transferring...

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Bob f

Nov 9, 2019
Iowa
I mean Fran has a proven track record of developing guys. Marble, White, Uthoff, Jok, and Garza going to be twice (1st team all Big10 players). That is 5 players at 4 different positions into 1st team all Big10 players in the last 8 years.

Compare that to what Prohm has developed in his time at ISU, it just isn't close. Halliburton is where his list begins and ends. Wigginton was never 1st team All Big12, same with Horton Tucker.

So why would people all of a sudden think that Walker, Dubar, and Blackwell will suddenly develop under Prhom? Murry, Perkins or Ulis have a much greater chance of actually developing history shows than anyone under Prohm.
Oh my God, dude get a life

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What does draft slot have to do with an all conference team?
All conference team selections seem like an odd one to cherry pick. At the end of the day, does it really matter if they aren't getting paid nba money? The Iowa guys named as all conference guys clearly weren't developed enough to make it to the NBA. Silly, silly argument.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I don't have a lot of faith for our FR to develop under Prohm. But all signs currently point to them either leaving this year after he does or possibly getting a shot at redemption next year with our new coach.

With the guys you mention, sure you can give Fran credit for development. But sometimes boys just become men on their own. I don't give Fred too many props for developing Niang. Naz too, worked very hard on his own and in his spare time to improve his game. Sounds kind of like Garza. Sometimes guys just come in as a stud and leave as a stud. I think I'd lump Marble, uthoff and Jok in that category at least, of the guys you mentioned. The others certainly had to put in the work.

I'm in agreement with you on the development of basketball players that are future pros. Halliburton and Horton Tucker were always going to be pros with or without Prohm, he didn't do anything. Fran though if you look at it, Marble, White, Jok, Uthoff and Garza aren't All Conference guys because they are future NBA stars. They are all limited physically, and don't just dominate because of greater physical skill. They slowly developed into All Conference players by becoming better each and every year.

Does Fran deserve all the credit? No he doesn't. Yet developing 5 guys over 8 years all into 1st team All Conference players when not a one of them is an NBA talent, that isn't just lightning striking 5 times.

Last edited:

NorthEnder

Jan 28, 2021
All conference team selections seem like an odd one to cherry pick. At the end of the day, does it really matter if they aren't getting paid nba money? The Iowa guys named as all conference guys clearly weren't developed enough to make it to the NBA. Silly, silly argument.

What is a better way to judge how good of a college basketball player someone was than by awards or recognition they earned while in college?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What is a better way to judge how good of a college basketball player someone was than by awards or recognition they earned while in college?
By their ability to take their game to the next level. I understand your confusion, you haven't seen that happen very often in your lifetime. I'm not trying to belittle all conference guys, it's a great achievement. Hell, Melvin Ejim was great at ISU, but nobody here would tell you he was better than Georges, Monte, or Tyrese.

Your hawk cohort already spelled this out for you: Tyrese missed over a month of games last season. You don't win accolades if you don't play.

Now, please quit derailing this thread with your nonsense arguments.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm in agreement with you on the development of basketball players that are future pros. Halliburton and Horton Tucker were always going to be pros with or without Prohm, he didn't do anything. Fran though if you look at it, Marble, White, Jok, Uthoff and Garza aren't All Conference guys because they are future NBA stars. They are all limited physically, and don't just dominate because of greater physical skill. They slowly developed into All Conference players by becoming better each and every year.

Does Fran deserve all the credit? No he doesn't. Yet developing 5 guys over 8 years all into 1st team All Conference players when not a one of them is an NBA talent, that isn't just lightning striking 5 times.
You could have stopped after no. These aren't a bunch of 2 star/ walk on types we're talking about. These are all somewhat touted recruits, aside from maybe White. Marble, a legacy son of perhaps greatest player in Iowa history. Jok, very highly touted before an injury in high school that caused his recruiting to fizzle out. Uthoff, transferred from Wisconsin after Bo Ryan coached him in his development year. Garza developed by his father and own personal work ethic. I don't see a lot of developing under Fran, just good players realizing their potential. I'll give you white because I don't know/ don't remember much about him aside from being a crybaby every time he lost to us.

• Haha
Reactions: NorthEnder

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I’m pretty sure Tyrese has been on the record about how much Prohm worked with and developed him...

Also FWIW, Garza and Uthoff had higher 247 composite rankings than Haliburton.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
You could have stopped after no. These aren't a bunch of 2 star/ walk on types we're talking about. These are all somewhat touted recruits, aside from maybe White. Marble, a legacy son of perhaps greatest player in Iowa history. Jok, very highly touted before an injury in high school that caused his recruiting to fizzle out. Uthoff, transferred from Wisconsin after Bo Ryan coached him in his development year. Garza developed by his father and own personal work ethic. I don't see a lot of developing under Fran, just good players realizing their potential. I'll give you white because I don't know/ don't remember much about him aside from being a crybaby every time he lost to us.

Come on, that is a lot of excuse making for 5 different players. I get it you guys don't want to give Fran credit for anything, but you just look silly trying to deny the facts in front of your face.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthEnder

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Common or uncommon?

this is their big moment under Fran, they might finally see a second weekend of the ncaa tournament for the first time this century.

garza might come back next year, there isn’t a real position for him in the nba, although according to many on hr he’s the next dirk nowitski. So they may get one more run out of this, even if they still have no guards, nor athletes.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Come on, that is a lot of excuse making for 5 different players. I get it you guys don't want to give Fran credit for anything, but you just look silly trying to deny the facts in front of your face.
Even if I did think Fran deserves some credit for the 5 you mentioned, what happened to guys like Dom Uhl, Ahmad Wagner, Maishe Dailey etc? Pemsl best season has a FR then regressed. Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Guys like Woodbury, Clemmons, and Gessell never really got better either after their FR year. So if Fran can get credit for developing the 1st team all conference guys, does he too have to take heat for not developing the plethora of other guys that have gone through his program?

NorthEnder

Jan 28, 2021
Even if I did think Fran deserves some credit for the 5 you mentioned, what happened to guys like Dom Uhl, Ahmad Wagner, Maishe Dailey etc? Pemsl best season has a FR then regressed. Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Guys like Woodbury, Clemmons, and Gessell never really got better either after their FR year. So if Fran can get credit for developing the 1st team all conference guys, does he too have to take heat for not developing the plethora of other guys that have gone through his program?

Fran just beat a HOF coach last night playing one starter for most of the last 10 minutes of the game. I think he is doing just fine.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Fran just beat a HOF coach last night playing one starter for most of the last 10 minutes of the game. I think he is doing just fine.
It's a bold strategy. We saw how it played out in the 2 games prior when they actually played good teams. Fran will fade if he insists on continuing to do this.