Cyclones in the pros (hoops) 2020-2021

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
his +

Shooting lights out so far, -14 on the +\-

Blazers announcers were really talking up Haliburton a lot, seen him a lot so far this season!

Hali had 3 turnovers in the 4th, including 1 that led to a breakaway for Nurkic of all people. Uncharacteristic turnovers for him at a bad time as it was tight.

He is fun to watch in the NBA. He plays so well in space. He is really getting the floaters down. When you watch him score, it always looks easy.

He did have some uncharacteristic turnovers in the 4th and one where he left their 3rd string center out to dry by not coming hard to get the ball from him when he was toast at the top of the key. Walton gave him an earful for that one!

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
His plus minus last night wasn’t his fault. The kings twice had leads of 20 and the second one I saw evaporate was happening well before he came back in as the starters were losing momentum quickly. Plus/minus is a tricky one to pay attention to, doesn’t always tell the whole story.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
He is fun to watch in the NBA. He plays so well in space. He is really getting the floaters down. When you watch him score, it always looks easy.

He did have some uncharacteristic turnovers in the 4th and one where he left their 3rd string center out to dry by not coming hard to get the ball from him when he was toast at the top of the key. Walton gave him an earful for that one!
I think he’s still getting used to that 4th quarter turning up of the defensive pressure that happens. Gary Trent is a really good defender, and Portland has been putting him on Halliburton so he’s got a lot going on.

Still amazing how well he’s playing, without a camp. I think the king open throttle is helping him shine because he is doing amazing things in space.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Patience is the word used a lot tonight.

I love how on the first two highlights despite being open Tyrese isn't calling for the ball but is rather pointing to the correct pass. If they passed it to him initially it would possibly be a turnover or he would be covered by the time he could get a shot off. But he knows the game so well that he sees the floor several moves ahead like a grand master chess player sees the board.

Reactions: NWICY and simply1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
His plus minus last night wasn’t his fault. The kings twice had leads of 20 and the second one I saw evaporate was happening well before he came back in as the starters were losing momentum quickly. Plus/minus is a tricky one to pay attention to, doesn’t always tell the whole story.
Agreed. Think about this: A player is subbed in right after his teammate fouls a three point shooter. The fouled shooter hits all three FTs. Another teammate is then subbed in before the ball is inbounded. Now the first sub is -3 while his teammate is 0 and neither player has really actually played as no time has gone off the clock.

End of game situations where coaches are doing defense/offense substitutions can also skew it as the D sub pretty much gets all the minuses and the O sub gets pretty much all the pluses.

Of course it matters who you are playing with as well. The best guy on the second unit will probably have a lower +/- than the worst guy on the first unit even though there might not be much difference between them.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I watched this on Youtube the other day (was pondering whether to post). When he said that he'd take TH as the #2 pick, I almost spit out my water. But it makes sense. Simmons has been big on Hali since long before the draft.

I need to drop my bias on LeMelo and Wiseman. Those two are both legit, but Hali is right with them. Halliburton’s ceiling is interesting since he isn’t really an aggressive player yet, even though he is more aggressive than I thought he’d be at this point.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Haha, Monte doing some talking on Curry tonight.
It was too late for me to stay up for the whole game but I watched into the 2nd quarter. Are we talking about this play: Monte was dribbling the ball slowly and not advancing, out by half-court. Curry was bodying him up far from the hoop and Monte literally was pushing him away with a hand to the chest. Eventually, Monte attacked, broken him down and scored a left-handed layup. Afterward, I noticed that Tae had some words for Curry.

I remember thinking that you're not just going to be able to steal the ball from Monte off the dribble.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Big Game Tae on TNT - good win for the Nuggets over Golden State, a team that starts not one but TWO Jayhawks. Monte's line was typical for what we've seen from him lately: 32 MIN, 11 PT, 5-11 FG, 1-5 3PT, 2 REB, 3 AST, 2 STL, 1 BLK, 2 TO and +10. 32 minutes of PT tied for 3rd on the team.

His 2 turnovers end a streak of 6 straight games without one. He now has a whopping FIVE for the season; just turning it over all willy-nilly :)

He's averaging 11.3 ppg and is shooting just under 36% from 3 this year. It's early, but that's down from 38% last year and 40% the year before.

Matt "Dog House" Thomas registered yet another DNP in the Raptors' win.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Every time Monte is out there he throws up his hands wanting effort from his team. And that is why the NBA is trash

Dumb comment. If you don’t like it don’t watch it. Also this is early in the season with a super shortened offseason and no training camp for rookies. A lot of teams or taking it slow and working into a rhythm this year.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You are not alone. He never looks like he is working hard but he is so effective and fun to watch.

5 triple-doubles this year already while leading the league in assists a tidally tied with James Harden) as a 7 footer.

I noticed the poster shitting on the league earlier and it’s the same old tropes like “NBA doesn’t play defense” and “James Harden doesn’t pass” that drives people like that.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick