Lord of the Rings Universe Thread

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
A little off topic, but after watching The Boys, I looked up Karl Urban to see what else he had been in. Kind of blew my mind that he played Eomer in the LOTR movies. Did not recognize him at all.

He's been in a ton of stuff that a lot of people didn't realize.

He's in the MCU, the Star Trek Universe, the Star Wars universe (as a storm trooper voice), and one of the Bourne films

Basically involved in all of our nerd threads

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

He's in the MCU, the Star Trek Universe, the Star Wars universe (as a storm trooper voice), and one of the Bourne films

I think first thing I saw him in was Riddick. He was in Ragnorok as well. Doom.

Never turns down a job, apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: BigCyFan and GTO

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
As a few have said on here, The Hobbit trilogy definitely didn't live up to the Lord of the Rings trilogy before it.

However, for me it wasn't this unwatchable set of movies. Many things were not to my liking but there were pieces of each movie I did enjoy and for an adventure to escape into that world I was still happy. And for me, all I ever wanted to see was Smaug on the big screen with the technology to do him right. Cumberbatch's motion capture for Smaug was fantastic, and seeing that dastardly dragon come to life was all I needed to see to be happy.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Him as "Bones" in Star Trek is my favorite role he has ever been in. He was great in those movies. He was also a pretty spectacular Dredd too even though you can't even see his face.

JustAFleshWound

Apr 21, 2015
The trilogy has been creeping towards the top of my reading list. I haven't read them since the movies were in theaters almost 20 years ago now.

Also, the wife and I have been sitting down for movie nights every so often. I threw out the thought that I'd like to revisit the LOTR trilogy at some point. She's never seen any of them, but did agree to give the first one a chance.

I've only seen the theatrical release and would like to see the extended/director's cut.
But what version do you think would be the more likely for her to enjoy?
Back in 2003, which seems like far too long ago now, on the first weekend of The Return of the King release, some friends came over to my house. We watched the extended cut of Fellowship, then the extended cut of Two Towers, then we went to the theater for the third. Fantastic day.

On a side note, we ate oreos and little smokies and drank beer during the first seven hours of watching at my house. I dug the wrappers and containers out of the trash later and realized I'd consumed about 5,000 calories that day. Not my finest moment.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I don't think the Hobbit trilogy was terrible. It just wasn't LOTR good. It has some good characters and good action. My first thought was 'this could have been 2 movies'. But then I realized that it's just great to spend as much time in Tolkien's world as possible. I'm cautiously optimistic about this new series.
It was originally supposed to be two movies, but....

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Wasn't the Hobbit meant for kids? Don't overanalyze it too much.. LOTR and Sim.......That's another story. Love all of it.....

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I still remember watching The Fellowship of the Ring with my dad on the 19" TV my parents had in their bedroom when it was out on DVD. I had never heard of it before then. I was ticked off when the movie ended and I realized I had to wait to watch the sequels... Which I watched in the theaters.

I read the books after I watched The Return of the King. I never did pay much attention to The Hobbit, although I did catch some of the first movie.

I just rewatched the whole LOTR trilogy a few weeks ago on Blu-Ray... Soooo much better than almost 20 years ago!

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Wasn't the Hobbit meant for kids? Don't overanalyze it too much.. LOTR and Sim.......That's another story. Love all of it.....

To answer your question, yes, The Hobbit was definitely a much shorter, lighter, easier-reading kid-friendly book than TLOTR trilogy, which is a lot of where my frustration with The Hobbit movies come from. TLOTR books are dense and filled with a ton of lore, yet they were able to pull off their adaptation very well in a movie a piece, albeit very long movies, for the whole trilogy. Then, when The Hobbit was announced, I figured for sure they would shoot to package the whole thing in one long movie beings the nature of the book. Shoot, I would have maybe given them the benefit of the doubt to go two in order to allow them to milk it a bit more. However, when they decided to go three, that is when things really started to get out of hand for pretty much everyone and when something exciting to hear started to scream cash-grab, and the movies suffered because of it.

People need to also keep in mind that the number of movies decision was only part of why those movies didn't nearly work as well as their predecessors. There is a long detailed history of the production mess and studio interference behind the scenes that played probably equal a part. For instance, Guillermo del Toro was originally supposed to direct the movies and it was originally supposed to be less movies. However, after he backed out last minute, that is when they turned back to Peter Jackson who spent the whole production playing catch-up, so the movie always started on shaky ground. Then, the studio played a big part in pushing the movie to 3 movies against what the Jackson wanted. Lastly, I also still hold that the advancements in CGI between the two trilogies actually ended up hurting much of the action as it allowed Jackson to go a bit too over-the-top in that category, losing its verisimilitude, and in a way abusing the technology. I say some of the same things about the Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Anyway, here is a good article talking about a few of the issues if anyone is interested in reading:

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
My first exposure to the LoTR Universe were these movies:

Hobbit_1977_Original_Film_Poster.jpg
The_Lord_of_the_Rings_%281978%29.jpg
The_Return_of_the_King%2C_1980_film.jpg

I loved them and they stuck in my head when I was a little kid. I read The Hobbit and LoTR books later but so much of my visualization came from cartoons.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I loved them and they stuck in my head when I was a little kid. I read The Hobbit and LoTR books later but so much of my visualization came from cartoons.

These were definitely my first exposure as well.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
A little off topic, but after watching The Boys, I looked up Karl Urban to see what else he had been in. Kind of blew my mind that he played Eomer in the LOTR movies. Did not recognize him at all.

He is also McCoy in the newer Star Treks and an FBI agent in RED/REDS

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I don't think the Hobbit trilogy was terrible. It just wasn't LOTR good. It has some good characters and good action. My first thought was 'this could have been 2 movies'. But then I realized that it's just great to spend as much time in Tolkien's world as possible. I'm cautiously optimistic about this new series.
The Hobbit could have been a single movie. It has been documented that a person can sit down and read the book and finish before all three movies would complete.

The Silmarillion reads like a history book for the most part, but I am hoping we get to see the fall of Numenor and the arrival of the Numenoreans. Since this is second age its after the defeat of Morgoth correct? At some point I want to see Huan rip out werewolf Saurons throat.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Same. First time watching cartoons that were a little dark. Loved it.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

Go extended or go home...errr...you're probably already home if you're watching them, so just go extended! (i love the director and actor cometary while watching)

There is a lot of fun stuff in the extended discs, including the comical demise of Alfrid, the second in command in Laketown in the Hobbit series.

Generally the LOTR is better than the Hobbit, but both series are great examples of modern movie making, and deserve every award they received.

• Agree
Reactions: helechopper

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Agree to disagree :)

My biggest problem is they changed the whole tone of the story. What is supposed to feel like your grandfather telling you a story when you were a kid, got changed into a action-fest war epic with goofiness that doesn't fit a war epic. That's just not what it is meant to be. Maybe it is just be, getting old, nostalgic and romantic.

Imagine taking Princess Bride and making it feel like Speed 2.

Definitely agree. It was like, let's take one of the greatest works of fiction of all time, add some random characters, add some pointless scenes, and then give it an action movie flair and way, way too much computer animation.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
As a good first follow-up, I did just recently pick up both The Hobbit Trilogy and Lord of the Rings Trilogy (both theatrical and extended) on 4K UHD blu ray. Both were finally just released only a few months ago and due to demand have been sold out at differing times. I'm planning on watching both of these very soon and can't wait.
Slightly necromancer-y but has anyone watched the Topher Grace Hobbit edit? From what I hear he does a great job of editing way to long movies. He did the prequels as well. Really need to track those down.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron