Cancel Mexico Vacation time?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm actually in this boat as well. Planning to fly to Cancun near the end of February and stay for a week. Terrible timing with this new testing requirement. Not sure what we're going to do.
You should be fine, they aren’t testing for STDs. If they did, that is when Hawkeye fans should be concerned.

DevilDog

Apr 9, 2006
Janesville
Our friends going to Antigua checked with their resort also $300 a test. They have a stranglehold on this money making scam!

CloneAlta

Sep 9, 2010
Kansas City, MO
www.floorplanonline.com

Curious if anyone else has a trip planned (and paid for) to Mexico or any other international locale? So if you have to have a negative covid test before returning the obvious issue is what happens if you go down to Mexico for vacation and turn up positive? Just gonna chill in Mexico for 14 days or whatever?

Side note - I actually paid for this family trip in 2019...was originally scheduled for April 2020, was canceled, got a credit voucher and then rescheduled for April 2021. Can this ****** covid era just end??

So what should I do?? Anyone else in this boat?
We go to Mexico for a month every year---except we're not doing it this year. We have friends who could not get back from Mexico after the COVID lockdown hit last year for about 2 months and we just can't afford to have that happen since we're in the real estate business. Once the COVID political stuff stops and we have more confidence, we'll be going back to the Bay of Banderas. We feel very sorry for all the fabulous employees and local businesses there---they have been hit very hard. Tourism is 80% of their economy.

Reactions: amishclone

zeke

Apr 11, 2006
In Jamaica now and had to get covid and authorization before traveling. At Sandals resort and they have posted they will have testing on site and results within 48 hours.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Even without the testing stuff I won't be going this year. Waited in this crowd at CUN customs in 2019 for almost 90 minutes. Trying to imagine that now.

cancun customs 2019 cf scale.jpg

Last edited:

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
Here is a link to the CDC website https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html click the Order link and read through it yourself it's only 2 pages.

There's three testing companies in Mexico that will come to your resort (maybe rental house as well). Cost was $175 for guaranteed test results in 48 hours.

Currently there is an order in Mexico for Yucatan resorts can only be at 50% capacity. So that should cut down on the airport lines. Some have gone to 30%.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I got through customs in Atlanta in about 30 seconds last month- nearly walked right up to the window.

Talkin' customs in Cancun which is pictured. Mpls is a cruise through, Cancun can be a cluster if it's when a bunch of planes land and it is shift change time.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
We have flights and a resort booked to Cancun in March, its all refundable until 24hr prior. Not sure we’re going to go though if we have to rely on testing at a resort.
I’m already looking at alternatives to just drive south somewhere if we still cant reasonably travel from our **** hole country.

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
We won't have to get tested since it will be less than 90 days from our positive test.

A licensed medical professional will have to provide a written statement you've recovered from COVID to go along with that positive test. Which mostly likely means you'll pay for an office visit/copay.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
From everything I'm seeing, most resorts are going to have a method of testing available. So for me, getting the test is not the issue. The issue for me, is the outside chance I test positive, and have to stay an extra 14 days...