Players to take the biggest step foward next season.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Enyi is really good, but I would like to see him move inside and become one of those guys in college football that seems impossible to block.

I think he did play the majority of snaps on the interior this season

I think Shaw and Rus both take big steps forward on offense. I think the JC safety makes an impact at safety.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Just my opinion, but I think Tampa will be the starter with AJ at the other cornerback position by the middle of the season. Also, I think Chambers and Craig McDonald will split reps at the open safety spot. Porter will probably be are kickoff returner(not sure on that on.) And Jackson will emerge as our 2nd receiver.
Like I said in another thread don't sleep on the JUCO Safety coming in Ben Langston. He is not a late JUCO target to add another last min player to the roster like others have been. The staff wanted him and think highly enough to offer and take his commitment early. Usually when they do that they intend that JUCO player to play a bunch of snaps.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I'm not disagreeing, I think the OL can continue to improve, but some of you guys are funny.

Nations Leading Rusher
QB rarely sacked

----> OL BETTER STEP IT UP NEXT YEAR :jimlad:

You are not wrong, but I think consistency and the ability to be successful vs elite D-lines (e.g. OU with Perkins) is what is meant.
The offense was amazing vs teams with bad d-lines, but much more sporadic when the defense was stout up front. The one exception to this was WV, but I think the Stills Bros gave up after about the 3rd three and out by their offense.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I've heard good things about him, he'll probably be the first up if a tackle goes down.
I expected Grant to start if Foster left. I hope he’s willing to wait another year—and as Downing and Ramos illustrated, anything can happen.
You are not wrong, but I think consistency and the ability to be successful vs elite D-lines (e.g. OU with Perkins) is what is meant.
The offense was amazing vs teams with bad d-lines, but much more sporadic when the defense was stout up front. The one exception to this was WV, but I think the Stills Bros gave up after about the 3rd three and out by their offense.
Then factor in that Brock’s elusiveness contributed to that low sack total. I was agog at the number of times he wove his way through defenders without getting sacked.

To be honest, in order for this OL to be really good, they need to take another step up as big as the one the took from ‘19 to ‘20.

It’s a process.

I’ve head that somewhere before?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think he's coming in the Spring (Now). So that's great. I have a feeling he'll be pretty raw and I'm not expecting him to contribute this fall.

They seem to be pretty high on Singleton. So, as long as he and Lee stay healthy (with Uwazarike and Robertson having the ability to move inside on passing downs), we should be OK. With the RS rules back to normal, I would expect Brown to get his 4 games in and that's it.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

This. The OL was really good by ISU standards. Much better than any OL so far under Campbell. And that was with starting 2 RSFR almost all season. But, really good DLs gave them fits. Perkins, Winfrey, Thomas, Bonnito from OU got into the backfield a lot and caused Purdy to make mistakes. At least Perkins is gone, but the other 3 are coming back. They'll need to step up their game to control that DL. Honestly, there is not another DL that they will face that's even close before the postseason. And very few individual DLs that even compare to those three now that Hubert, Ossai and Stills declared.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Any kicker we might know of now know, might be on campus that is not playing, any walk on....anybody that is a threat for three regularly.

Reactions: A_storm_is_comin

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Jirehl is good. Great blocks, looks great with the ball in his hands.

I love his blocking and effort, but I don't know that I've been impressed with a single run of his, save for a nice 4th down conversion he had.

He seems to be really tough and an asset to the team, but I haven't seen anything that makes it seem like he can be an every down RB threat like Hall. I don't expect him to be as good as Hall, but I want to see something that makes he think he can be the feature back as opposed to a nice change of pace guy.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan and Steve

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Simmons. He needs to do better with the penalties, but he looked to get a good push up front on a lot of plays this year. He has potential to be really good.

I disagree with the Simmons pick over Schweiger. In the bowl game, Ben Bruns was gushing about Schweiger, how he was just dominating his man. Simmons is the reason we didn't score on that fourth and goal in the bowl game and got chewed out by Campbell when he ran off the field. I think Simmons would be a good backup and provide quality depth, but Schweiger will be the starter, IMO.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I think it could be Scates, Dean, Peterson, Lee (gets more playing time). But as someone else stated, to be reassured, a WR2 that sets themselves apart like Hutchinson did this past year. Maybe Milton could get back to that. Maybe Scates or Jackson. What year is Wilson?

I'm not really worried about DL as having a great one can allow defense to be a little less strong on the back end, but I'd still like to see more improvement with corners after Anthony Johnson. Kind of a weak point in my mind for depth. Johnson seems to be on his own little island.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I love his blocking and effort, but I don't know that I've been impressed with a single run of his, save for a nice 4th down conversion he had.

He seems to be really tough and an asset to the team, but I haven't seen anything that makes it seem like he can be an every down RB threat like Hall. I don't expect him to be as good as Hall, but I want to see something that makes he think he can be the feature back as opposed to a nice change of pace guy.
I have the same opinions from watching him this season. He is still in the process of learning how to run in a zone read, RPO offense. He ran out of a wing T in high school which calls for different strengths in a RB. One of these is blocking as the wing T backs are always blocking for each other. Obviously he is already very good at this.

My opinion of the wing T is that the running hole is more predetermined and that the blockers and RB are expected to stay with their planned assignments as much as possible . The zone concept offers both a focused running area as well as a cut back option if it opens up. The back needs to utilize vision and patience more to achieve the best results. There is much more to it, but the point is that both the blocking and running concepts are different.

The important factor is that the concepts can be learned and improved on with practice. One needs only to go back as far as David Montgomery to see the results of learning on the job how to be successful. He was a running QB in high school and obviously showed how one can make the transition in college.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Jirehl is good. Great blocks, looks great with the ball in his hands.

He lacks vision in the running game and that is probably what holds him back the most. He tends to just run to the hole, or the place the hole is supposed to be, while Hall sees the small openings and cuts to those areas. I'm sure Brock will get better with time, and he certainly blocks and catches well.

• Creative
  • Disagree
Reactions: nrg4isu and Aclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I'm not disagreeing, I think the OL can continue to improve, but some of you guys are funny.

Nations Leading Rusher
QB rarely sacked

----> OL BETTER STEP IT UP NEXT YEAR :jimlad:

There is still a lot of room for growth. Hall would have had 2,000 yards behind a better than average OL. He is that good. Very happy with what a bunch of new guys did, and not having Downing for the entire season the results are impressive. Still, when other teams loaded the box, ISU was stonewalled most of the time. Only Hall's abilty to bounce to the outside really saved the plays. Also, a lot of the running game and pass protection can be atributed to 3 blocking TEs and great blocking RBs with a QB that has learned when it is time to bail out.

The bright side is everyone is back, including Downing who virtually did not play last year, but was looking as good as advertized until hurt. Having 7-8 guys back that started games last year is going to be fun.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
I think it could be Scates, Dean, Peterson, Lee (gets more playing time). But as someone else stated, to be reassured, a WR2 that sets themselves apart like Hutchinson did this past year. Maybe Milton could get back to that. Maybe Scates or Jackson. What year is Wilson?

I'm not really worried about DL as having a great one can allow defense to be a little less strong on the back end, but I'd still like to see more improvement with corners after Anthony Johnson. Kind of a weak point in my mind for depth. Johnson seems to be on his own little island.
Agreed, Kyle, Young or Tampa need to take charge and sure up that 2nd CB position. Only question mark on D Imo.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
He lacks vision in the running game and that is probably what holds him back the most. He tends to just run to the hole, or the place the hole is supposed to be, while Hall sees the small openings and cuts to those areas. I'm sure Brock will get better with time, and he certainly blocks and catches well.

He had 13 carries on the year. Many likely with our second unit.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He had 13 carries on the year. Many likely with our second unit.

My hot take is Brock will look a lot more like Hall and then opponents might be F'd a little more.

Not sure where he is for speed but he's a strong runner and always seems to find a way forward after contact.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
If you watch any of Brock’s high school highlights he is a very dynamic running back. He was only a redshirt freshman this year. I think he is going to show he is a stud with more opportunities.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron