Cyclones will be ranked preseason #5 or #6

RollClones33

Jan 3, 2021
My Preseason AP Poll Rankings guess currently, will change but based on what I am guessing who will stay, who will go and bias: 1. Alabama (National Champions) 2. Ohio St 3. Clemson 4. Oklahoma 5. Georgia 6. Texas A&M 7. Notre Dame 8. North Carolina 9. Texas 10. Florida 11. USC 12. Iowa State 13. Miami 14. Oregon 15. Iowa 16. Indiana 17. Cincy 18. Washington 19. Penn St. 20 Wisconsin 21. Auburn 22. LSU 23. TCU 24. Oklahoma St. 25. Michigan Next 5: Coastal, Ole Miss, Stanford, Northwestern, NC State, or Utah depending on QB Situation at NC St

There are so few GO5 Teams that are in the preseason polls every year with Cincy and UCF being 20 and 21 last year the only team I see being ranked besides Cincy would be Coastal but they are not going to have enough support in my opinion.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Idk how we could potentially be ranked outside the top ten. Biased or not, there is too much returning.

Reactions: exCYtable

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
One part of the equation to gauge expectation is to note where ISU finishes in final AP poll this season. (Most recent rank is #12, I'd guess we finish 9th, mayyybe 8th). I think a lot of voters would have Iowa State near that range, but probably more would have it a lower by a few spots compared to the number who put it higher.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think well be top 10. Most likely 9 or 10 because of the name.

Reactions: cyputz

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I mean, we have the most returning players from a top 10 team. I know Bama, OSU, Clemson all just reload, but with as much returning as we have. That has to stand for something.

My prediction

1. Bama
2. OU
3. OSU
4. Clemson
5. ND?

I would expect 5 to be our ceiling to start, should be top 10 easy though.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I'm not concerned where the preseason polls have us. With what's coming back we are geared up for the best Cyclone team ever.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don’t get the Texa$ hype. They lose their HC, QB, and #1 recruit. Also USC.

They are always overrated in the preseason, BUT, going into the ISU Texas game both teams had 2 losses, and voters had ISU 10 spots higher. Not to mention the only player most voters knew on UTs roster is gone.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Tell me why I am wrong.

They should finish ranked anywhere 7-9 this year and return 20 of 22 starters.

Likely SIX preseason offensive first team all-conference players in Purdy, Hall, Hutchinson, Kolar, Newell and Downing (Schweiger could sneak in there). That is ridiculous!

Likely FOUR preseason defensive first team all-conference players in McDonald, Rose, Johnson, Eisworth (Enyi or Young could sneak in there).

Outside of Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, Oklahoma and Ohio State who has a case to be ranked higher than Iowa State?
Schweiger probably won't even be a starter in 2021. It's gonna be crazy how much depth the o-line will have when he and Ramos will most likely be 2nd stringers.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I don’t think there is going to be any disrespect, clones are loaded and everyone knows it, won’t be a secret anymore ..thinking top 6 or 7

Reactions: exCYtable

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Thought about this as well but you'd think they learned their lesson. I hope...cant afford to start slow.
Start slow? Or Start Bad?

Bad isn't going to cut it, but "slow" is acceptable. I really think Campbell approaches the beginning of the season cautiously. You don't want to play your best football in September (at least psychologically). You need to be just good enough to win, and then continue to improve throughout the season. Check his comments after our Louisiana loss. He basically says exactly that. "I thought we were at a point in our program where a loss like this wouldn't happen" I believe he intentionally avoids getting the guys to play their A game week 1. You just have to be good enough to win, and then move on.

Save your best football for October and into November+

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
They are always overrated in the preseason, BUT, going into the ISU Texas game both teams had 2 losses, and voters had ISU 10 spots higher.

And the most-recent still has ISU 8 slots higher. According to Poll Tracker, the low-end of ISU voting is 16th, highest for UT is 14th -- and there's no overlap (all voters have Iowa State ranked ahead).

So, although there is so AP voter turnover year to year, given the current distribution and what each team has returning, I see no possible way Texas would get a higher rank, unless a significant number of voters think the coaching change is a major difference-maker in a positive direction.

• Informative
Reactions: MeanDean

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
Start slow? Or Start Bad?

Bad isn't going to cut it, but "slow" is acceptable. I really think Campbell approaches the beginning of the season cautiously. You don't want to play your best football in September (at least psychologically). You need to be just good enough to win, and then continue to improve throughout the season. Check his comments after our Louisiana loss. He basically says exactly that. "I thought we were at a point in our program where a loss like this wouldn't happen" I believe he intentionally avoids getting the guys to play their A game week 1. You just have to be good enough to win, and then move on.

Save your best football for October and into November+

I think the fact that we return almost everybody means we don’t have to spend much time figuring out who we are at the start of the season.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think the fact that we return almost everybody means we don’t have to spend much time figuring out who we are at the start of the season.
It'll be interesting what spring football and offseason workouts look like this season. Maybe the guys will have their covid vaccinations by then.

I see the FCS is still planning to play this spring. I thought that was a ruse.

Only 7.5 months till fall camp!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron