2021 Stock Market

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would be concerned holding any travel/recreation stock right now. If campaign promises hold true, you don’t want any of those. I have liquidated most of mine.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
We had a good 2020 thread, so here's an updated one.

Ending the year on record highs, will the party continue? With a Democrat trifecta in congress, will we see more individual stimulus that powers the market?
As of today, marijuana stocks are skyrocketing in anticipation of legalization.
There are many more reasons to be pessimistic than optimistic. I won't be entering the market until I see what transpires in the next 3 months. But, I'm betting things won't look good as the backlog of 'optimism' wears out, the economic reality sets in, and the unemployment costs set in. That's not to say there won't be outliers (CBD stuff, remote working, etc), but the traditional stocks will drop.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I’m hoping stuff continues to stay high at least until March/April so I can sell long term some of the stuff I bought after the crash. We will see where we are at then.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Goldman Sachs predicts that Biden will now get $600 billion of additional stimulus (3% of economy) but only 25% of the tax increases that he promised. In other words, the party on Wall Street can continue because the Democrats won't keep their promises to undo Trump's tax cuts for corporations and wealthy individuals.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Late last week I purchased a call option on the January 2022 USO ETF at 41. With yesterday's news of the Saudi's cutting production, my call has been going in the positive direction.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Trying to figure out how greedy to get on US Steel (up 47%) and GE (up 45%) ... sold my bank stocks (JPM and WFC) yesterday, oops.

• Haha
Reactions: chadly82

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I few weeks ago I bought my first bitcoin. I just bought a little but so far it's up 75%. Damn I wish I would have put in a ton.

To be clear, I bought Grayscale Bitcoin Trust (BTC) OTCQX US: GBTC

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Trying to figure out how greedy to get on US Steel (up 47%) and GE (up 45%) ... sold my bank stocks (JPM and WFC) yesterday, oops.

I'm considering a move into TD bank. High dividend and I need to diversify/take profit in the tech world.

Just haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My "retirement gain" for 2020 was 16%. I didn't make any changes to any of my investments this year besides a rebalance at the start of the year.

The one piece that sucks is that I have a years worth of emergency fund sitting in a savings account earning 1/2%. The good news is that I didn't have to use the mergency fund.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
My "retirement gain" for 2020 was 16%. I didn't make any changes to any of my investments this year besides a rebalance at the start of the year.

The one piece that sucks is that I have a years worth of emergency fund sitting in a savings account earning 1/2%. The good news is that I didn't have to use the mergency fund.
Worse problems to have but yeah having money stuck making no interest sucks, I think my savings acct is making 0.2% or something stupid like that.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Goldman Sachs predicts that Biden will now get $600 billion of additional stimulus (3% of economy) but only 25% of the tax increases that he promised. In other words, the party on Wall Street can continue because the Democrats won't keep their promises to undo Trump's tax cuts for corporations and wealthy individuals.

Sounds about right. The fact they took the Senate last night is not nothing, but it is going to help them more in confirming executive appointments and judicial nominees than it will passing legislation.

Both parties are just terrified to do anything that would upset the market at this point. It's been one of the few genuine bright spots economically for the past 15 years, and the two most powerful political constituencies -- super-billionaires and upper-middle class professionals -- have much/most of their net worth sunk into equities.

You are not winning many elections if you tank people's 401(k) values.

Now, if this whole situation is sustainable is the question, but nobody wants to take the punchbowl away right now.

superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
SW Michigan

Shocking! Says no one who has witnessed politics for the last couple of decades. Wait until the Bernie Bros and the far left face this reality. It has become increasingly clear the Democrats are in the same bed as Republicans when it comes to Wall Street, large corporations, and special interests.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
83% of my networth (does not include house or non cash assets) is in 401k and ESOP, does that % seem high?

I don't know the right answer but mine is

76% in retirement (401k(2), Roth 401k, Roth IRA, and Emergency fund)
2% in vehicles (both paid off)
22% in home equity

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

My retirement is only up about 10% for last year. But I also have about 10% in a bond fund and some money in Exxon, which hasn't recovered like other stocks last year.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
83% of my networth (does not include house or non cash assets) is in 401k and ESOP, does that % seem high?

I would say depends a bit on age, but I don't think it seems too high, but I'd say within a reasonable distribution that distribution seems far less important than the absolute $.

I'm about 60% retirement, 25% hard assets, 15% cash and post-tax accounts in my early 40s, and the retirement is not surprisingly the one that will grow the fastest, so by the time I retire I suspect it will be something like 80 - 10 - 10.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron