Jim Walden is pulling for ISU and Campbell

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
CMC may break the record for the most number of wins for ISU coaches who are above .500 this year. *wiki not updated yet.

1606961247859.png

ISUEmbassy

Jun 13, 2014
Question for longtime fans:

How much did Walden's negativity about the program contribute to the "we're Iowa State, we can never be good" mentality that our can base is finally starting to break out of?

I'm happy Walden is enjoying our success and I know he dealt with a lot of crap from an administration that didn't adequately support the football program, but I'll be honest, it pisses me off to read his comments about how little he thought of ISU.

The Cyclones were going to bowl games and competing for conference titles with Earle Bruce just a decade before Walden took over. Even Duncan in the early 80s was getting into the rankings and drawing a lot of fans to games before his teams would collapse down the stretch. Criner cheated and hurt the program, but when Walden took over, ISU wasn't all that far removed from a time period where they were relatively successful. Did the "we're Iowa State" mentality exist back then?

Walden is a huge ISU fan to this day. His comments are directed at Martin Jischke and the complete lack of support for the football program in any way imo.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Walden is a huge ISU fan to this day. His comments are directed at Martin Jischke and the complete lack of support for the football program in any way imo.

Eaton -- who might have been the most anti-sports prez in ISU history -- was still prez during the initial go-round of the Steve Lester debacle, which was just about the last straw for Walden. Gordo was also on Walden and Orr's **** list for other things as well.

Jischke showed up in time for the back end of the Lester thing.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
How much did Walden's negativity about the program contribute to the "we're Iowa State, we can never be good" mentality that our can base is finally starting to break out of?

The fact that he had the team 6-5 in year 3 after what Criner left was nothing short of a miracle. The '89 team had some dudes -- Oberg, Blaise, Gene Williams, Keith Sims, Mike Busch, Steve Lester, and Marcus Robertson. Had Shudak not gotten himself suspended for the OU game, that's a 7-4 team with a bowl bid in hand -- and had that happened, things would have been different from that point forward.

1990 was set up for a good run. Then the Lester thing happened, and Pedersen and Blaise both got hurt in the Minnesota game (4-point loss) and missed the Iowa game (10-point loss). The KU tie in week 5 was another winnable game (led with 5:00 to play). So what could have been a 4-1 start was instead 2-2-1.

The negativity started in 1991 after Walden finally had enough with the university administration. Then the option offense emerged.

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
Didn’t Walden come in after the credit card fraud scandal in the 1980s? One of the guys that committed fraud works at what used to be aspen athletic lmao.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
The fact that he had the team 6-5 in year 3 after what Criner left was nothing short of a miracle. The '89 team had some dudes -- Oberg, Blaise, Gene Williams, Keith Sims, Mike Busch, Steve Lester, and Marcus Robertson. Had Shudak not gotten himself suspended for the OU game, that's a 7-4 team with a bowl bid in hand -- and had that happened, things would have been different from that point forward.

1990 was set up for a good run. Then the Lester thing happened, and Pedersen and Blaise both got hurt in the Minnesota game (4-point loss) and missed the Iowa game (10-point loss). The KU tie in week 5 was another winnable game (led with 5:00 to play). So what could have been a 4-1 start was instead 2-2-1.

The negativity started in 1991 after Walden finally had enough with the university administration. Then the option offense emerged.
Well said. 1989 was my first year at Iowa State! It was a really fun team to watch.

FWIW, From 1989-through the UNLV game in 1995 (I moved out of state the day after that game), I only missed one home game during that tough stretch of Cyclone Football, and that was the 1990 tie with Kansas (I was at the Florida State @ Miami (Fla.) game with my brother that day).

It was a day game and hotter than Hell. My Brother (FSU grad) was grumpy because the Seminoles lost (with Brad Johnson @ QB), and I was grumpy as the last KU-ISU score I saw on the Orange Bowl scoreboard was 34-31 KU with minutes left in the game.

After we ate dinner in Little Havana, had a few drinks, smoked a good cigar to calm down the nerves, we got back to our hotel, turned on the TV-*, I found out ISU kicked a tieing FG. So, that was actually a happy tie for me!

*-For the youngsters, that was before instant access on smart phones.

Reactions: Aclone

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Well said. 1989 was my first year at Iowa State! It was a really fun team to watch.

FWIW, From 1989-through the UNLV game in 1995 (I moved out of state the day after that game), I only missed one home game during that tough stretch of Cyclone Football, and that was the 1990 tie with Kansas (I was at the Florida State @ Miami (Fla.) game with my brother that day).

It was a day game and hotter than Hell. My Brother (FSU grad) was grumpy because the Seminoles lost (with Brad Johnson @ QB), and I was grumpy as the last KU-ISU score I saw on the Orange Bowl scoreboard was 34-31 KU with minutes left in the game.

After we ate dinner in Little Havana, had a few drinks, smoked a good cigar to calm down the nerves, we got back to our hotel, turned on the TV-*, I found out ISU kicked a tieing FG. So, that was actually a happy tie for me!

*-For the youngsters, that was before instant access on smart phones.

...and when ties were still a thing.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007

Did you really have to bring up the OU game that Shudak was suspended for? That still hurts, and I can still see the OU player returning the on-side kick for a TD.

Reactions: Land Shark

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Did you really have to bring up the OU game that Shudak was suspended for? That still hurts, and I can still see the OU player returning the on-side kick for a TD.

I could have brought up the 10-point Minnesota game where ISU was -5 in turnovers, not including the other 5 fumbles of their own that they recovered.

Or the Iowa game where ISU got outscored 17-0 in the second half and lost by 10.

But the 3-point OU game had at least 11 easy points left on the field because there was no backup kicker.

Winning any one of those three would have basically assured a bowl bid.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Unpopular opinion, I think they should bring back ties
I agree. Still keep overtime, but if four overtimes have concluded and there still is no winner, that seems to me that on the day of that game, the teams are "even," so a tie seems right.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Question for longtime fans:

I'm happy Walden is enjoying our success and I know he dealt with a lot of crap from an administration that didn't adequately support the football program, but I'll be honest, it pisses me off to read his comments about how little he thought of ISU.

The Cyclones were going to bowl games and competing for conference titles with Earle Bruce just a decade before Walden took over. Even Duncan in the early 80s was getting into the rankings and drawing a lot of fans to games before his teams would collapse down the stretch. Criner cheated and hurt the program, but when Walden took over, ISU wasn't all that far removed from a time period where they were relatively successful. Did the "we're Iowa State" mentality exist back then?

A lot.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If they are going to change anything they should go to a scoring system that rewards teams for a tie if it ends in a tie in regulation but still attempts to resolve the tie in overtime to award the win to one team - similar to the NHL.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I could have brought up the 10-point Minnesota game where ISU was -5 in turnovers, not including the other 5 fumbles of their own that they recovered.

Or the Iowa game where ISU got outscored 17-0 in the second half and lost by 10.

But the 3-point OU game had at least 11 easy points left on the field because there was no backup kicker.

Winning any one of those three would have basically assured a bowl bid.

Just because you can doesn't mean you need to. it is only 8:27 AM and now you have me looking for booze.

Don't forget that we got passed over for the Independence Bowl in favor of 6-5 Tulsa with TJ Rubley at QB

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Walden got screwed. The administration was purging football at a point in college football history where it was critical to do the opposite. It was in the 80s where non blue blood programs started to really put resources into football. That combined with the tv rule that took control of tv contracts away from the NCAA. This meant more and more teams were going to on tv (ESPN began to emerge) if they were good enough. This was when Iowa turned it and put resources into football and that had a profound effect on fan numbers, media coverage, and recruiting in this state. It impacted us for long time and made things very difficult Our administration at that time was short sided hurt our program bad. They didn't understand that football was the doorstep of most any university, it is a way to market the school. Walden did about as well as anyone could with the state of the program the way it was.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Don't forget that we got passed over for the Independence Bowl in favor of 6-5 Tulsa with TJ Rubley at QB

Tulsa was always going to play in that game if they were eligible. They didn't bump Iowa State.

The I-Bowl rules at the time mandated a "host" school -- which was to be one of Tulsa, Memphis, Cincinnati, or Southern Miss. Tulsa was the only one of those four that ended up eligible. Southern Miss was 5-6, Memphis 2-9, and Cincinnati 1-9-1.

The only other 6-5 bowl team that season was Georgia, who played in the Peach Bowl. That one's pretty self-explanatory.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I know some of you old-timers might have more nostalgia and forgiveness for Walden -- he was better than Jim Criner, at least from what I can tell. I was born in 1987, so I don't really remember Walden.

Iowa State football starts with McCarney for me, and this quote from Walden --

"If you stay [at Iowa State], you're going to lose and you're going to get fired. That's very evident."

I know Walden was probably justifiably frustrated and did not receive much help from Iowa State's leadership or fair treatment from the conference and officials generally back then, but that is still a **** thing to say.

I am glad Campbell is proving him very wrong.