On That Note: Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (late musicians 2020)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Love me some JTE, his sound is so unique. Will be a forever fan. His dad is releasing an album of his work. It will be both released and unreleased tracks JTE was working on. Cannot wait for that.

I think he's going to be one of those cases that has an uptick in posthumous popularity.

Reactions: TexCyted

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Love me some JTE, his sound is so unique. Will be a forever fan. His dad is releasing an album of his work. It will be both released and unreleased tracks JTE was working on. Cannot wait for that.

And all proceeds are going to a trust for JTE's daughter, Etta St. James Earle (which is just an awesome name, btw)

Here's their rendition of one of my favorite JTE songs

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Guitarist Jack Sherman joined RHCP after Hillel Slovak left in '84 and did their first tour. What I didn't know was that he wrote a bunch of Freaky Styley but never got the chance to record it in '85 because Slovak had come back to the band and they kicked him out. He wrote one of my favorites that I'd presumed Slovak had written, Catholic School Girls Rule...

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Guitarist Jack Sherman joined RHCP after Hillel Slovak left in '84 and did their first tour. What I didn't know was that he wrote a bunch of Freaky Styley but never got the chance to record it in '85 because Slovak had come back to the band and they kicked him out. He wrote one of my favorites that I'd presumed Slovak had written, Catholic School Girls Rule...

Love the back-story stuff -- I'm aware of a smidgen of Slovak detail, but most of that is new to me.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Worth a mention: Steve Farmer (Dec. 31, 1948-April 7, 2020) — co-wrote the biggest hit for The Amboy Dukes (#16 Billboard, 1968), with Ted Nugent. (Farmer wrote the lyrics).

Iirc Nugent was younger than the other Dukes and was sort of a guitar prodigy...and naive. I've heard him say he honestly didn't know those were all pipes on that album cover or what they were for.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Iirc Nugent was younger than the other Dukes and was sort of a guitar prodigy...and naive. I've heard him say he honestly didn't know those were all pipes on that album cover or what they were for.

I recall Nugent saying something similar on "Behind the Music," that he didn't know that song had any kind of drug connotation, at the time.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

I did not know that. Freaky Styley is a very underrated album. Everyone gushes over Blood Sugar Sex Magic, and rightfully so, but Freaky Styley had a much different and awesome "styley"

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Just learned that Jeremy Stuart of Chad and Jeremy passed on 12/20/20.

They made guest appearances on US SItcoms including The **** VanDyke Show, The Patty Duke Show and Batman.

Lots of people will know Summer Song from Rushmore (and it's soundtrack, really amazing soundtrack btw). RIP Jeremy.

Reactions: Angie

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Country singer K.T. Oslin died at the age of 78. She won CMA Female Vocalist of the Year in 1988 (ending a four year run by Reba McEntire) and Song of the Year for her hit "80s Ladies," becoming the first woman songwriter ever to win the award.