What is Sagarin smoking this season?

clonefanpaul

Omnipresent Lurker
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Just checked his CFB rankings after yesterday's games. He has Iowa @ #3, and five B1G teams in his top 10. We check in at #27 with a #59 SOS. Iowa's SOS is #11. I have generally valued computer rankings over human ones, but they're only as good as the (human-created) algorithms they use. I think Jeffrey needs to update his.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
0-5 Penn State is at 19 and 8-0 Coastal Carolina is at 57. That is all you need to know about how absurd and useless those rankings are.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
2LbF.gif

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
This rating system just doesn't work with different teams playing different amount of games. Iowa at #3 just proves it, even Iowa fans would admit that the ranking is dumb.

• Optimistic
Reactions: NATEizKING

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Sample sizes and little pollination between the conferences to make comparisons are going to make computer rankings really difficult this year. I am normally all for analytics, but I am not sure the sample sizes are going to be there.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
The sagarin rankings are basically useless this year. When you have groups of teams that are unconnected data sets, that is the very definition of invalid data for this formula. The formula can't be tweaked to include data that doesn't exist.

ESciGuy

Mar 16, 2010
Joliet, IL
The sagarin rankings are basically useless this year. When you have groups of teams that are unconnected data sets, that is the very definition of invalid data for this formula. The formula can't be tweaked to include data that doesn't exist.
You're right. I was thinking things would improve as more games were played. But almost everything has been within conferences, so there's little chance for "connecting" the data.

The most absurd aspect of his ratings: B1G West is the #1 conference!

Busch__Latte

Sep 17, 2020
9/14 Big 10 teams are in the top 20. The system basically has every big 10 team at the top in SOS.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You're right. I was thinking things would improve as more games were played. But almost everything has been within conferences, so there's little chance for "connecting" the data.

The most absurd aspect of his ratings: B1G West is the #1 conference!

Part of it must be thinking Penn State is good and every team getting a win against Penn State. 0-5 Penn State is still ranked above lots of Big Ten teams with wins.

Even with small sample size and unconnected data I still don't understand how a 0-5 team could be 19th unless it's using mostly the previous year to evaluate that 0-5 team.

Pump 5 wins against a fraudulent #19 team into any conference and yeah that conference will always be #1 by a mile.

Just like ISU, Iowa is legitimately playing better after a very rough start, but teams are cutting through Penn State like a warm knife through butter. Something is wrong with Penn State beyond just a weird covid year. Other typical top 20 programs did not just completely turn into one of the worst teams in FBS.

• Agree
Reactions: ESciGuy

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Iowa hoks record against the teams they beat so far is 3-11 so frickin impressive