Yahoo Sports Story on Matt Campbell

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
All those blue-blood programs are just so opposite of the Campbell-way. The Process, if you will.

The article put it best, Campbell is a coach that wants kids that start in the dugout-- not on 3rd base.

Ohio St has a roster of 3rd base kids. At worst, their on 2nd base.

That's a big reason Texas is struggling right now. Entitlement.

Hopefully coach realizes that now instead of leaving and then regretting the move later in life.

I think third base, second base, or first base kids can be dugout kids if the culture is strong enough. Ohio State does a good job with culture also.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
I think more or less, the problem here was a lack of a winning culture.

As opposed to the dumpster fires elsewhere. Just for one example, from what I’ve heard about Michigan, ISU’s AD actually helps Matt Campbell, rather than putting up roadblocks.

BTW, the only way this article could be better is if it had been written by Rob Gray.
This. We had some terrible teams and we’re still filling 90% of the stadium. Other teams across the country have one bad year and are giving away tickets. Go somewhere where winning is fun. A few 9-3 seasons at Michigan and you’re fired.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think third base, second base, or first base kids can be dugout kids if the culture is strong enough. Ohio State does a good job with culture also.
Get out of here with that. We want no part of thinking there’s even a sliver of a chance Matt would ever leave Ames. ;)

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Reactions: CyberJJJ

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Guys, I already wrote that I loved the article and I did. But.... I could see Michigan being a legit concern for us this winter. It is what it is, but I could see it. Pulling a Hoiberg move and leaving a fully stocked team for the next head coach is also something I could see Campbell thinking would help the transition.

I get what you are saying. Campbell would KILL it at a blue blood school. But he would need his guys in there and not the “born on third base” guys likely at that current school. And I don’t think the administration and fan base will give him 3 years to get his guys and culture installed. After 1-2 years, they expect huge wins. Campbell is a big time builder. He doesn’t have to do that, nor would he be given enough time, at Michigan.

That said, it would mildly surprise me if he left for Michigan but it definitely wouldn’t shock me.

Reactions: cyclone1209

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
I loved the insight into CMC. I loved his regret about being at practice 3 hours after his first kid's birth. I understand that. It was a great story.

Only concern is, why did he give this insight to Pete Thamel vs a local guy? He seems like a really careful, thoughtful coach so maybe I'm over analyzing the story. Like maybe this is just a great opportunity for him and Iowa State, but I still have a nagging concern something else is going on. Or maybe this a message to other teams that like, hey, leave me alone, I love where I'm at?

I really like him. The team is good; I don't worry about off the field stuff; etc. So I don't want him to go.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I loved the insight into CMC. I loved his regret about being at practice 3 hours after his first kid's birth. I understand that. It was a great story.

Only concern is, why did he give this insight to Pete Thamel vs a local guy? He seems like a really careful, thoughtful coach so maybe I'm over analyzing the story. Like maybe this is just a great opportunity for him and Iowa State, but I still have a nagging concern something else is going on. Or maybe this a message to other teams that like, hey, leave me alone, I love where I'm at?

I really like him. The team is good; I don't worry about off the field stuff; etc. So I don't want him to go.

This seems silly. The national guys are usually the ones that write these kind of stories. Campbell has had several such stories done by national guys over the last few years.

I also think that we don't realize how singularly focused Campbell is. Like I don't believe the dumb 'he came here and loved Iowa State and wanted to coach here story' that everyone peddles. But I do believe that he doesn't think about open coaching positions during the year. He might take a job this year, but I truly believe that he won't think about it until the season is done.

And I do think that singularly focus probably helps our case in keeping him around. It doesn't guarantee it, but I just don't think he is thinking about other jobs during the season. And I don't think that can be said of many coaches.

Reactions: shadow

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I get what you are saying. Campbell would KILL it at a blue blood school. But he would need his guys in there and not the “born on third base” guys likely at that current school. And I don’t think the administration and fan base will give him 3 years to get his guys and culture installed. After 1-2 years, they expect huge wins. Campbell is a big time builder. He doesn’t have to do that, nor would he be given enough time, at Michigan.

That said, it would mildly surprise me if he left for Michigan but it definitely wouldn’t shock me.

Here's the other thing. No coach worth his salt doesn't think he could succeed at a blue blood school or in the pros. I bet Campbell thinks The Process could work at Michigan or the Jets or wherever. Successful people don't think that way. If you'll excuse the example, it is not like Hoiberg went to the Bulls thinking that he'd fail. He went to the Bulls thinking he was a ******* good coach and he could overcome the ineptitude of the front office. Les Miles didn't think he would go to Kansas and fail. He went to Kansas thinking "I'm ******* Les Miles and I'm a genius and I'm going to turn this program around". Successful people have an ego the size of Texas. If Campbell sat down and thought about it (and as I contend above, I don't think he'd think about it until the season is over), he's not going to sit there and think Michigan is too hard of a job or that success is easier at Iowa State. He's going to think, "I won at ******* Iowa State, hell yeah, I'd win here".

If he stays at Iowa State, he'll stay because he thinks he can win here and his family likes it here. I think that's very possible. But if he is as good as we think, he will also think he could win at Michigan or Florida State or wherever.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I know this. Just like Blum and Williams shared on their podcast, if you could pick either the Cyclones Fball program or Michigan's, and your goal in the next 3 years is a conf championship or a playoff berth, where would you rather be?
A). ISU - NFL level quarterback in Brock, 2021 Heisman candidate in Breece Hall, an elite defense that is ready to dominate every weekend and quite solid at all 3 levels.
B). MI - questions all over the place on offense including QB Joe Milton, the rest of the offense looks questionable, and the defense looking like a bunch of overrated princesses right now

*You can go to to MI they had a great tradition over 25 years ago. But let's be straight that is a 3 year plus rebuild job. Stay here and you don't have to undertake that huge task. Oh and one last thing, the **** you take here for not beating Iowa is about 5% of the scrutiny you receive at Ole Blue for not beating the Buckeyes
*his relationship with Jamie will probably help us keep him, I have to imagine he's better than whatever Michigan has

If i'm looking at this conference as ISU's coach I would say, OU will be OU (elite most years), OSU is a really solid program, TX has its advantages. But why can't ISU be competing year in and year out in the top 3 in the league. Makes you think (outside of pay) what really is a step up from here at Michigan. Outside of academics I think there's a strong parallel of Nebraska with Michigan - awesome programs when I was a kid, but not so much lately. By lately I mean since the Clinton administration.

Last edited: