Defensive End Recruiting

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
theres tons of guys out there that i would love to pick up... as long as get about 3 more DE to go with taylor martin, and pick up gaines or spence i will feel a lot better about our DL future.

DE's out there: Michael Sam, Ian Knight, Luke Sager, Stansly Maponga, Delano Johnson, LaChristopher Aniyam, and others

DT's: Corey Gaines, Josh Elizondo, Akeem Spence

we need to pick up at least 5 of those guys

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
He isn't even interested in us so......

....wouldn't mind having him but we aren't USC or Florida and can't just swoop in and grab people.

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
33, how is our DT positions looking for next year? Do you expect a JUCO or are we set there with someone else? I just think those 4 up front are the biggest glaring weakness of the D.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Should see Jerrod Black step it up, also look for Cleyon Laing at DE, he is a beast

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
Also, Nate Frere is pretty under rated, i think he will have a good season next year. he has fought a lot of adversity. Austin Alburtis can bulk up somemore and be something too

Last edited:

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
33... what about ruempolhamer?

he got some playing time early in the year, but didnt hear much about him past that

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
Thanks for the info 33. I know a lot of Cyclone fans are at a loss right now for why this defense has been so bad lately.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
33... what about ruempolhamer?

he got some playing time early in the year, but didnt hear much about him past that

young guy, Should mature a lot this off season, and will compete for a starting spot. there should be good competition at DT

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
young guy, Should mature a lot this off season, and will compete for a starting spot. there should be good competition at DT
thats what i was thinking cuz didnt chizik say something like we are only gonna sign 1 DT?

...we have a ton of young guys who just need some time to bulk up

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
Actually Ruempolhamer was playing quite a bit down the stretch. He did not get credit for many tackle but seemed to be near the ball quite a bit. He actually got banged up in the K-state game and had to be helped off the field. It didn't look real serious. I think he actually started 3-4 games when Tate was hurt. With an off season under Coach Shep hopefully he comes back as a 300# wrecking ball. He looks like one of the few guys on the DL that could actually carry 300#'s without getting too big. We really need one of the interior guys to develop into someone the other team has to double-team on a consistant basis. Guys like Tuba, Leaders and Curvey make the other guys look better due to the attention they used to draw.

Does anyone know if their is any chance for Tate to get a 5th year? There was a little talk of that back in the summer since he was hurt all of 07.

BTW. I believe there is some interest from Henderson his profile hasn't been updated.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Kurt Hammer is an option at DE too
It sounded to me, in the last Coordinator's Corner, as if the Hammer were staying at tight end.

mcdonogh put on a lot of muscle and will be an impact player over the next couple years
Yep. From what I've heard, a good, tall defensive tackle. :yes:

...we have a ton of young guys who just need some time to bulk up

What Chizik actually said, at the start of the season, was that he had a lot of guys who just needed experience, because even his upperclassmen at defensive tackle hadn't played much. that additional experience started showing as the season progressed when Nate Frere started making plays.

Of course, Ruempolhamer needs a year of S&C (one thing Walters and Chizik were talking about was how much Coach Sheppard reshapes a player's body), but it seems to me that Jerrod Black, Bailey Johnson and Austin Alburtis just need to be healthy. It didn't help that the former pair were injured most of the year, and Alburtis missed most of his first two years (redshirt and freshman) recovering from injury.

I'm realy looking forward to seeing what Cleyon Laing can do. Of course, with all three strongside ends graduating, this is where losing Randy Kellman a year a go stings a bit.

He isn't even interested in us so......
Are you basing that on the website, or personal knowledge?

....wouldn't mind having him but we aren't USC or Florida and can't just swoop in and grab people.
Yeah. I guess we'll never get guys like, say, Sedrick Johnson. And it's not as if we got Leonard Johnson away from Michigan. :skeptical:

I like tall guys rushing the passer. More passes get knocked down, they have more reach to grab passing ball carriers. I like athletic guys on the field. I seem to recall that Matt Blair played defensive end for us (before my time), listed at 6-5 229 as a pro linebacker, and I think that we could certainly use another Matt Blair. :yes:

Last edited:

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
Aclone, I was thinking the same thing about tall rangy defensive linemen. It looks like tall athletic guys are even more beneficial against all of the short passes that come from the spread offense. It is hard to get to the QB's in this league no matter who you are defensively. They just get rid of the ball so fast. Maybe Big Ham would like to give football a shot.:wink:

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I

I like tall guys rushing the passer. More passes get knocked down, they have more reach to grab passing ball carriers. I like athletic guys on the field. I seem to recall that Matt Blair played defensive end for us (before my time), listed at 6-5 229 as a pro linebacker, and I think that we could certainly use another Matt Blair. :yes:

I don't believe that Matt Blair ever played DE for us. He was a LB at ISU although the rover defense was popular in that era so sometimes Matt lined up in odd spots for a LB. He was versatile enough to have played DE in addition to SS if needed there. You may have been thinking of Merv Krakau - an outstanding DE from that same time period.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I don't believe that Matt Blair ever played DE for us. He was a LB at ISU although the rover defense was popular in that era so sometimes Matt lined up in odd spots for a LB. He was versatile enough to have played DE in addition to SS if needed there. You may have been thinking of Merv Krakau - an outstanding DE from that same time period.

Maybe it was that Matt had played de (or ss?) in juco. Still, he was a phenomenal athlete, and we need more of those.

I sat near him during a Spring game several years after he retired, and he looked like he could still get out there and teach some lessons.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
IIRC, last season's recruiting class included three 3* DE's. As I understand it, the kid from Valley (McDonough I believe) has already bulked up to DL size. I don't remember the other two, but I have to believe (hope) that help is on its way across the defensive front.

'09 will be markedly different then '08 IMO.