Do you want Tom Manning as the OC?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Do you want Tom Manning as OC?

• Yes

Votes: 193 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 71 26.9%

• Total voters

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
First time this season I can say this. The offense seemed to play with some rhythm and flow. Brock was much quicker in his decision making. Thought Tom put together a good mix of calls to keep the offense balanced. Just execution errors that can be cleaned up with repetition. This offense still has not yet reached its potential.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Series late in the game and we run left off tackle 3 times. Ended up negative for the series. Pathetic.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can never tell from the TV...on Purdy's long throws that get picked, has ISU's receiver been open?

I can just never tell if the receiver at least got behind the secondary and just had to come back to the ball.

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
Just looked at this for the first time...people be crazy. People must think the players are like on a video game and always do exactly what is called no matter what...not only do I want him as OC he is the clear choice for Matt's replacement if he leaves. This is the best offense in school history and don't fool yourself...we still don't have the top talent across the board compared to the other big 12 teams. We have tons more talent than we ever have but not the real top guys besides 1-2 at a time.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I don't have a problem with Manning at OC. I mean, he's down 2 starting OLs and maybe our best WR (2nd best at worst). I do have an issue with WR recruiting. They probably need to stop looking for the next Lazard or Butler and find some guys that can actually get open and stretch the field.

Reactions: PsychedCy09

Cyclonefan710

Oct 19, 2012
I can never tell from the TV...on Purdy's long throws that get picked, has ISU's receiver been open?

I can just never tell if the receiver at least got behind the secondary and just had to come back to the ball.

Scates had his guy clearly beat on Purdys opening pick. Purdy just doesn’t have the arm to be able to make a lot of the deep throws unless he’s really able to step into it.

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Just looked at this for the first time...people be crazy. People must think the players are like on a video game and always do exactly what is called no matter what...not only do I want him as OC he is the clear choice for Matt's replacement if he leaves. This is the best offense in school history and don't fool yourself...we still don't have the top talent across the board compared to the other big 12 teams. We have tons more talent than we ever have but not the real top guys besides 1-2 at a time.

not the best offense in school history. It was one of those 8-3 Earl Bruce teams from the 70s. One of those years they. had the nations second ranked offense.

Not sure what the think about the offense, everyone likes to refer to last years numbers as a great year, but there were a couple of games the skewed things. Fact is, the CMC era, it is the offense that has kept us form that elusive 10 plus win season. They defense has played well enough to win a lot of those games but the offense couldn't do anything. Look at 2017, in losses to Texas, West Virginia, and KSU the team couldn't even muster 20 points. And that team had Lazzard and Butler!! in 2018 the offense failed to score 20 points in 3 losses. Heck only 3 against Iowa!. The offense had 7 freakin false starts against Washington State. That should never fkn happen!! 2019 again the defense played well enough to win some games. but we didn't have enough offense to get the job done. Those games were Iowa, KSU, and Baylor. The offense pretty much sucked in all those games. Plus the UNI where we could only muster a. lousy 13 points in regulation. That was against UNI!! So until this program can get a really good offense, the 7-8 win marks per season is the lid. For a long time ISU fan, I'll take that, sure beast most of our history. But if we ever want to break through and have theat special season that pretty much every power 5 has been able to pull.off at some point in the last 25 years, we need more offense.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

On his first pick, if he puts the ball a little to the left and about 5 yards deeper, it's a TD.

Also, remember last year vs. Texas? - One of the first plays of the 2nd half, Purdy finds Jones wide open for a TD. Jones had to stop dead in his tracks to make the catch, it was badly under-thrown by 7-10 yards, but he was just that wide open, so we still got the TD. Long throws just aren't Purdy's thing.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
On his first pick, if he puts the ball a little to the left and about 5 yards deeper, it's a TD.

Also, remember last year vs. Texas? - One of the first plays of the 2nd half, Purdy finds Jones wide open for a TD. Jones had to stop dead in his tracks to make the catch, it was badly under-thrown by 7-10 yards, but he was just that wide open, so we still got the TD. Long throws just aren't Purdy's thing.
Purdy threw that ball to Jones a long ways all things considered

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
That throw went around 50-55 yards with a big run up. I love Purdy but the amount of effort it took to throw it that far shows how weak his arm is for a guy a lot think will get drafted.
That was into a solid win too. It wasn't a great throw, but it wasn't a throw to be critical of. The problem with that play is the receiver (Scates?) just let the defender catch it. They made no real effort to adjust to the throw or play defense if they couldn't catch it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yep and iirc I mentioned it last year.

He under threw Butler often too but when the target is that kind of athlete he's going to win usually.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Scates had his guy clearly beat on Purdys opening pick. Purdy just doesn’t have the arm to be able to make a lot of the deep throws unless he’s really able to step into it.
He threw that ball late also. Scates had his guy beat but there was pressure coming so Brock had to readjust quick. He throws that ball a second Or two sooner and it’s a TD.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
not the best offense in school history. It was one of those 8-3 Earl Bruce teams from the 70s. One of those years they. had the nations second ranked offense.

Not sure what the think about the offense, everyone likes to refer to last years numbers as a great year, but there were a couple of games the skewed things. Fact is, the CMC era, it is the offense that has kept us form that elusive 10 plus win season. They defense has played well enough to win a lot of those games but the offense couldn't do anything. Look at 2017, in losses to Texas, West Virginia, and KSU the team couldn't even muster 20 points. And that team had Lazzard and Butler!! in 2018 the offense failed to score 20 points in 3 losses. Heck only 3 against Iowa!. The offense had 7 freakin false starts against Washington State. That should never fkn happen!! 2019 again the defense played well enough to win some games. but we didn't have enough offense to get the job done. Those games were Iowa, KSU, and Baylor. The offense pretty much sucked in all those games. Plus the UNI where we could only muster a. lousy 13 points in regulation. That was against UNI!! So until this program can get a really good offense, the 7-8 win marks per season is the lid. For a long time ISU fan, I'll take that, sure beast most of our history. But if we ever want to break through and have theat special season that pretty much every power 5 has been able to pull.off at some point in the last 25 years, we need more offense.
Ahhh. The memories. Up the middle, up the middle, up the middle, PUNT! But, then again, Bruce was a loss we felt for a very long time.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Again, Manning is not perfect. However, he's the best we've had in the modern era maybe behind Loney.

• Funny
Reactions: Lineup