Since we're asking questions: clock starting after penalty in 4th quarter?

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I still haven't seen any explanation for the following series of events in the 4th quarter.

• 3rd & 10 at ISU 48
    (7:58 - 4th) Spencer Sanders pass complete to Dillon Stoner for 8 yds to the IowSt 40
  • 4th & 2 at ISU 40
    (7:23 - 4th) OKLAHOMA ST Penalty, Delay of Game (-5 Yards) to the IowSt 45
  • 4th & 7 at ISU 45
    (6:52 - 4th) Tom Hutton punt for 41 yds, downed at the IowSt 4

Can anyone explain to me how, after OSU gets penalized for delay of game at the 7:23 mark, the game clock started again? An additional 25-30 seconds ran off the clock there, and I don't think it was supposed to.

• Informative
Reactions: Snydes

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
During our final drive on offense, Chase Allen caught a pass for a first down (around OSU's 15 yard line). Chase was tackled with about 1:18 remaining on the clock, however the clock kept running. Clock stopped for a couple seconds around 1:10 while the ref placed the ball, then resumed.

I thought the clock stopped as soon as play ended after a first down, until the ref spots/places the ball?

Edit: In no way insinuating this influenced the outcome of the game

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
During our final drive on offense, Chase Allen caught a pass for a first down (around OSU's 15 yard line). Chase was tackled with about 1:18 remaining on the clock, however the clock kept running. Clock stopped for a couple seconds around 1:10 while the ref placed the ball, then resumed.

I thought the clock stopped as soon as play ended after a first down, until the ref spots/places the ball?
I noticed these issues too. I also think there were issues with the actual game clock and the game clock displayed on the television screen. At one point the clock jumped several seconds between plays like they were resetting it so it matched the scoreboard clock again.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: mkadl and Billups06

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If the penalty is declined game clock starts at snap. If accepted the game click starts when ball is placed.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I noticed these issues too. I also think there were issues with the actual game clock and the game clock displayed on the television screen. At one point the clock jumped several seconds between plays like they were resetting it so it matched the scoreboard clock again.

Makes sense. That scenario crossed my mind while it was happening; the television clock wasn't accurately depicting the actual game clock.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
If the penalty is declined game clock starts at snap. If accepted the game click starts when ball is placed.

On a delay of game? Not when the offense is in punt ("scrimmage kick") formation. The clock is supposed to start on the snap after the penalty in that situation.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Is that up until a certain time in the game? What's stopping a team from constantly doing that to run out the clock?

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Too lazy to look for it, but I think a previous thread (from a previous year) said that the refs have discretion whether or not to start the clock after a penalty. Basically if they think the team is trying to run down the clock, then they won't start the clock until the ball is snapped. Otherwise they might tend to keep the game moving along.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Is that up until a certain time in the game? What's stopping a team from constantly doing that to run out the clock?
The defense could decline the penalty. Then game clock doesn’t start until the ball is snapped.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Too lazy to look for it, but I think a previous thread (from a previous year) said that the refs have discretion whether or not to start the clock after a penalty. Basically if they think the team is trying to run down the clock, then they won't start the clock until the ball is snapped. Otherwise they might tend to keep the game moving along.
I do think an official may have some discretion but it would Have to be clear that the offense was doing something pretty extreme. In this case based on down distance and field position you can easily say OSU is doing the try to draw ISU offsides maneuver. Considering field position a delay of game doesn’t hurt them.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I do think an official may have some discretion but it would Have to be clear that the offense was doing something pretty extreme. In this case based on down distance and field position you can easily say OSU is doing the try to draw ISU offsides maneuver. Considering field position a delay of game doesn’t hurt them.
I thought Sanders was pretty darn close to a procedure (false start) violation there. He was moving his entire body quite a bit with some of those vocal signals (arms moving quite a bit,; head and chest moving forward and down). They could have very well thrown the flag earlier than when the play clock expired.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That seems sketchy as hell if that is the rule. Why wouldn't you just continuously take delay of game penalties to run out the clock? That shouldn't be a ref's choice.
Again, if OSU would’ve taken another delay of game ISU declines and the clock doesn’t start again until the ball is snapped. If for some reason ISU decides to keep accepting the penalties, an official MAY be able to decide not to start the clock.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I thought Sanders was pretty darn close to a procedure (false start) violation there. He was moving his entire body quite a bit with some of those vocal signals (arms moving quite a bit,; head and chest moving forward and down). They could have very well thrown the flag earlier than when the play clock expired.

It was pretty clearly a false start, but I guess we can thank Aaron Rodgers for now Officials letting QBs flail around back there without a penalty. It’s horrible now and hardly ever gets called.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Again, if OSU would’ve taken another delay of game ISU declines and the clock doesn’t start again until the ball is snapped. If for some reason ISU decides to keep accepting the penalties, an official MAY be able to decide not to start the clock.

Mainly, it goes against my belief that people should never be rewarded for breaking the rules of the game.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Agree, thought that once or twice early in the game as well.

As far as starting the clock at the ready or at the snap - at least in high school - if the prior play ended with the clock running, the clock will start at the ready. If the prior play ended out of bounds/incomplete, it would start at the snap. However, with under 2 minutes to go, the offended team always has the option whether to start on the ready or the snap. Not sure if the college rules are similar or not.

• Informative
Reactions: SayMyName