Wisconsin QB tests positive for Covid

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Was Mertz possibly positive when he played the game? Or did he go out and party after the game and get it?
Highly likely he was infected during the game. Whether he was contagious is another matter.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
#1 and #3 are out due to protocols. What happened to #2? Why are we on to the 4th string. I think this would meet the protocol of a certain percentage of a position group being out, or is that only a Big 12 thing?

"What happened to #2?" It is a question for the ages!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They need to take QB number 5 and 6 and put them in a bubble to get through the next couple weeks.

Out of curiosity I checked and looks like there's 5 QBs so maybe they gotta start giving a WR or RB some practice snaps.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Old school wisconsin could probably line up and just run the ball, throw it like 5 times or something.

Reactions: isutrevman

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I thought the B1G had a before game testing procedure in place?
They do...it was a Friday game and he was negative leading up to that game. The BIG tests 6 times a week. Given that there is some time between the pre-game test and the game, the QB may have been contagious during the game (including the locker room). Additional cases, should they happen, would start to pop up today through the week-end.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Word around here is that it's more likely to be a no contest this weekend than be played. Not definitive yet.

Big 10 set themselves up for this type of tough situation. Badgers wouldn't look too different from past years if they play with Vanden Boom at QB. The big issue is they don't have the same RB talent this year, Nakia Watson is a fine player but not on the typical level. I could also see them moving a skill position player to QB and playing ala Kentucky last year with Lynn Bowden for a few weeks.

And yes, as others have said, we are swimming in COVID currently in Wisconsin. Interestingly it's worse in the Northeast than it is in Madison/Milwaukee currently, but still high across the board.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Word around here is that it's more likely to be a no contest this weekend than be played. Not definitive yet.

Big 10 set themselves up for this type of tough situation. Badgers wouldn't look too different from past years if they play with Vanden Boom at QB. The big issue is they don't have the same RB talent this year, Nakia Watson is a fine player but not on the typical level. I could also see them moving a skill position player to QB and playing ala Kentucky last year with Lynn Bowden for a few weeks.

And yes, as others have said, we are swimming in COVID currently in Wisconsin. Interestingly it's worse in the Northeast than it is in Madison/Milwaukee currently, but still high across the board.
I was told by a buddy of mine that the game will only be a no contest if Friday's round of testing brings more positives. If they're good to go, Vander Boom will be the starter and the game will be played.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Missing a game eliminates them from the CFB playoffs, correct?

Is is possible that they could have three "no contest" games and still win the Little 10 West because of the tie-breakers?

Do they even have a provision the prevents a 1-and-0 team from being in first place at the end of the season because of their "perfect record?"

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Is is possible that they could have three "no contest" games and still win the Little 10 West because of the tie-breakers?

Do they even have a provision the prevents a 1-and-0 team from being in first place at the end of the season because of their "perfect record?"
In order to play in the Big 10 championship a team must play 6 games. So Wisconsin could not cancel the next 3 games and be eligible to play for the title.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Everyone point and laugh at the Big 10 for being extra cautious in not playing to better manage covid! Well done, we will look to you for guidance now and in the future.
People are laughing at how the Big 10 fumbled all of this. They pulled the trigger far too early in calling off the season without discussing their plans with any other conference besides the Pac-12. When other conferences started playing, the Big 10 realized the mistake they had made and backtracked but doing so left them stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The other conferences had 2-3 byes on their schedule and planned for possible cancellations / postponements. So far, there are only a few teams in the P-5 that haven't played all of their scheduled games and they will all be played at some point this season. The Big 10 set up their schedule to play 8 games in 8 weeks. No byes, no room for error.

That's why people find this situation humorous.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Everyone point and laugh at the Big 10 for being extra cautious in not playing to better manage covid! Well done, we will look to you for guidance now and in the future.
Yeah because the COVID situation has improved greatly since their decision not to play.

Reactions: Cyclone06

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yeah because the COVID situation has improved greatly since their decision not to play.

I'm not sure it matters either way when you have schools like Iowa State figuring out how to manage playing and have superb test results with the virus. I hope other schools are taking notes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron