Wisconsin QB tests positive for Covid

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In defense of the B1G, Wisconsin is swimming in Corona postives the last few weeks. They had 7,000+ cases a few days ago.

That was reported cases due to the system being shut down for a weekend so that 7,000 is skewed, but yeah, Wisconsin is loving it some Covid right about now.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Man Iowa couldn’t have been handed a more finely crafted deck to get to the title game. I hope Mertz does well and is back to give them a wake up call to end the season.

Well, other than losing to a Purdue team also hit by COVID.

• Winner
Reactions: SECyclone

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Barry is working the 'false positive' phones as we speak. I would too if I was in the Badger football offices.

The guy on the other end of the phone said--"You're screwed Barry, Mertz' PCR test confirmed. He should be back for Michigan. We'll see if we have better luck with Wolf's confirmation test."

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

The stuff that's come to light after this makes me think the Big 10 wasn't really serious about restarting. We can debate the risks associated with football and COVID all we want - but starting a season with a 21 day sit out rule and no by weeks, and making a game a no contest with a team having 5% or higher rates (which isn't that much) means games won't be played. Period.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The stuff that's come to light after this makes me think the Big 10 wasn't really serious about restarting. We can debate the risks associated with football and COVID all we want - but starting a season with a 21 day sit out rule and no by weeks, and making a game a no contest with a team having 5% or higher rates (which isn't that much) means games won't be played. Period.
It is going to be interesting to see what the Big 10 does here.

The B1G didn't really have a choice but to put these strict guidelines in when they decided to return to play. After their concerns were on the record they couldn't just come back full throttle. With that being said it's hard to not expect multiple no contests this year.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

They played it similar to the Des Moines School Board. Very, very reluctantly.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
The B1G didn't really have a choice but to put these strict guidelines in when they decided to return to play. After their concerns were on the record they couldn't just come back full throttle. With that being said it's hard to not expect multiple no contests this year.
Their response to the pandemic had been a series of missteps.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
#1 and #3 are out due to protocols. What happened to #2? Why are we on to the 4th string. I think this would meet the protocol of a certain percentage of a position group being out, or is that only a Big 12 thing?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
#1 and #3 are out due to protocols. What happened to #2? Why are we on to the 4th string. I think this would meet the protocol of a certain percentage of a position group being out, or is that only a Big 12 thing?

I think their original starting quarterback is actually injured. The #2 and #3 are out for protocols.

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Actually, #1 is out with an injury, and #2 and #3 are out with Covid, so they are down to #4 the way I understand it. Mertz wasn't #1.... Jack Coan was.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Was Mertz possibly positive when he played the game? Or did he go out and party after the game and get it?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

OG starting QB Coan is out for the year.