• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Nov 16, 2019; Ames, IA, USA; Iowa State Cyclones place kicker Connor Assalley (96) kicks the game winning field goal against the Texas Longhorns at Jack Trice Stadium. The Cyclones beat the Longhorns 23 to 21. Mandatory Credit: Reese Strickland-USA TODAY Sports

When Connor Assalley‘s field goal attempt on Iowa State’s first drive of the program’s win over Texas Tech on Oct. 17 was blocked, it was the fifth-year senior’s first missed field goal since Oct. 26, 2019.

That string of success included 11-straight connections on field goal attempts, but the last two weeks have seen the Naperville, Ill. native go just 1-of-4 on field goals, including an 0-of-2 performance in Saturday’s 24-21 loss to Oklahoma State in Stillwater.

Despite the recent struggles, Matt Campbell‘s confidence in Assalley has not wavered.

“I just think we’ve got a lot of confidence in Connor. I think, for him, he’s a guy that’s a fifth-year senior that played really good early on,”...

Continue reading...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Y’know, I love Matt Campbell as our coach. And he has a lot of mottos that he likes to use. “Helping a player become the best version of himself” is one.

There’s another Campbell aphorism that I’m not completely sure about, though.

“It’s better to start a player too late than too early”.

Umm...about that one, Coach? Brayden Narveson says hi.

Last edited:

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Is it just me or does 72% seem low for 4th all time in ISU history? I could be completely wrong with this but that doesn’t seem like he’s exactly hitting at a great clip.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

83cy

May 14, 2006
It seems like decades since ISU has had an above average kicker. 1990's? I'm concerned about ISU's kicking, there's a damn good chance ISU wins Saturday with a good kicker. And with some tight tough games coming up a great kicker could be the difference between a good year and a great year.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
“It’s better to start a player too late than too early”.

Umm...about that one, Coach? Chris Narveson says hi.

Are you talking about Brayden Narveson? The highly rated kicker that basically admitted that he thought the kicking job was his without putting the work in?

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Are you talking about Brayden Narveson? The highly rated kicker that basically admitted that he thought the kicking job was his without putting the work in?
Thanks. Fixed. Chris Narveson was a minor league pitcher for the Cardinals years ago. The similarity throws me.

Maybe I’ll do better with Cole Dekkers?

:jimlad:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Is it just me or does 72% seem low for 4th all time in ISU history? I could be completely wrong with this but that doesn’t seem like he’s exactly hitting at a great clip.
For a little perspective Connor's career 72% is 48th for active kickers. That's above average.

Of course before Saturday he was at 75% which put him in a tie for 33rd.

That grounding call still really bugs me. That took a very makeable kick and turned it into a very difficult kick - which he didn't miss by much.

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
If you need to “win in the margins”. Kicking will “make it or break it”. I always grab a nut cup when the kicker comes out, this includes extra points

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
It seems like decades since ISU has had an above average kicker. 1990's? I'm concerned about ISU's kicking, there's a damn good chance ISU wins Saturday with a good kicker. And with some tight tough games coming up a great kicker could be the difference between a good year and a great year.
Cole Netten was a good kicker.

Reactions: VeloClone

Bigditch

Dec 13, 2016
Garrett Owens was solid in his grad transfer year....
Netten , Owens & Assalley ( 1st year ) all were Coached up by Coach Joe Houston. Having a designated kicking Coach is very valuable IMHO.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Who are our top 3 kickers?

I'd guess Culbertson is there; he was was good except for the clutch kicks (2007 game vs Iowa excluded).