JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Oct 3, 2020; Lawrence, Kansas, USA; Oklahoma State Cowboys head coach Mike Gundy leads the team and fans in the alma mater after defeating the Kansas Jayhawks at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Chris Williams, Publisher – Iowa State 31, Oklahoma State 27

Going off what we have seen this year, Iowa State is the better team. However, on paper, that edge might go to the Cowboys. It’s a true tossup. I think the time off probably helped Oklahoma State. I fully expect Mike Gundy to come out with a trick or two up his sleeve on offense. Huge game. Give me the Clones.

Jared Stansbury, Managing Editor – Oklahoma State 31, Iowa State 30

This is one of the toughest games to analyze since I’ve been covering the Cyclones. Iowa State is getting gradually better and I think we’ve seen flashes of how good this team can be when it is all said and done. On the flip side, I know Oklahoma State is a great collection of talent...

Continue reading...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think these thread titles need to be change to show ISU vs. OSU otherwise a casual glance would leave the lazy reader to believe you always pick the opponent. I also think the designated hitter should be eliminated and QBs should be hit hard and anywhere on their body during a live play and ketchup is the one true hot dog condiment.

• Haha
Reactions: NENick

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I think the OL injuries catch up to us tomorrow. Gonna be a good one and it could come down to a turnover.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
These are the hype games that historically Iowa State lets us down in.... I think that changes this year, another key example of turning the program in a positive, upward trend.

This is a great opportunity for ISU to show they can play in the bright lights. Unfortunately they have faltered on this stage way too often. I think the Clones get it done tomorrow with a lower score than everyone is predicting. Something like 24-21.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Something from last year has to change. ISU goes on sustained drives and gets their normal 30 points or so. Our defense stops OSU time and time again but then OSU busts loose for, say a 67-yard TD, then later a 56-yard TD, then a 42-yard TD, etc. At the end of the game we win time of possession, looked like the better team, but yet somehow we lose. We lose on 3 or 4 plays out of 150 plays in the game.

So, if that happens, then we weren't able to change or adapt and we will have let the Cowboys win in the same fashion that they did last year. Obviously we all hope that ISU is able to learn from last year and not repeat it. And it goes without saying, we have to be sound in the details, such as penalties, turnovers and special teams.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Something from last year has to change. ISU goes on sustained drives and gets their normal 30 points or so. Our defense stops OSU time and time again but then OSU busts loose for, say a 67-yard TD, then later a 56-yard TD, then a 42-yard TD, etc. At the end of the game we win time of possession, looked like the better team, but yet somehow we lose. We lose on 3 or 4 plays out of 150 plays in the game.

So, if that happens, then we weren't able to change or adapt and we will have let the Cowboys win in the same fashion that they did last year. Obviously we all hope that ISU is able to learn from last year and not repeat it. And it goes without saying, we have to be sound in the details, such as penalties, turnovers and special teams.

Everybody remembers the three picks to end the game and the three inexplicable big plays ISU gave up in the first half. What is often overlooked from last year was that ISU had something like 320 yards in the first half and only had 13 points. Punted in OSU territory a couple times and with four trips inside the OSU 25 had TD, FG, FG and missed FG.

Obviously don't happen by chance and you can't just chalk it up to bad luck. Also, the teams are of course different this year, but these are pretty veteran teams. I don't know how much it matters, but if ISU had played even remotely close to their norm last year they win that game handily. Tackling, coverage assignments, red zone execution, and valuing the ball were all horrible that game, or at least had huge lapses. Hats off to OSU for having a big hand in that, and certainly capitalized on it.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
This is "Our Year" to go on the road and come back home with a BIG WIN....
Cyclones WIN the game on a late field goal!
Iowa State 31...Okie St Cowboys 28

Reactions: Cycsk

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
no hyperbole when i say this game changed Iowa State football forever. it remains the greatest sporting event I've been to and literally got chills watching it again just now.
Tied for me with the ISU vs #10 Missouri 2OT game in ‘83, when Barry Stevens went for 44. To me, that was the birth of Hilton Magic.

Jack Trice came alive the exact same way.